Large Files Upload

paulfr

I have some large files to transfer to several people, but my ISP limits email attachments to 5MB.

If they were photos, I could put them up at Shutterfly or some other share site, but even then, the recipients would have to right click on each one to download to their machine; a real pain for 10 files or more.

How can I share/xfer some large files with one or more people ?

Thanks

I have some large files to transfer to several people, but my ISP limits email attachments to 5MB.

If they were photos, I could put them up at Shutterfly or some other share site, but even then, the recipients would have to right click on each one to download to their machine; a real pain for 10 files or more.

Thanks

This is a good one.10MB Free

http://www.4shared.com/

Most popular is Yousendit: www.yousendit.com

Can uploads files hundreds of megs in size. File is deleted after a certain amount of downloads, or after a week or so. So it's not really intended for hosting warez for many people to download, but if there are only one or two downloaders, then it's your best bet.

Thanks

Hiya Paul

you could take a look here at an earlier topic----->

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39638

may help :o

Or you can install Filezilla server on your computer, use dyndns.org to have a static address, and then use your computer as an ftp server.

If you're interested I can provide more explanations.

Here are explanations you asked for (I cannot make it easier, sorry).

First go to www.dyndns.com

Create un account, an host like myname.dyndns.org, with Dynamic DNS service.

You will give this address (myname.dyndns.org) to your friends who need to download your files.

To update this address with your current IP, you will log on dyndns.com or you can use an automatic software updater like Dyndns Updater (http://www.kana.homeip.net/).

Then go to FileZilla download page:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21558

Download both FileZilla, the ftp client (to test things), and FileZilla Server, the ftp server (you can find it at the bottom of the page).

Install both.

Then here comes the tricky part (yes before it was easy :D ): set up of FileZilla server.

First Start FileZilla Server (in Start menu).

Then start FileZilla Server Interface.

Go to Edit/Users.

Add a new user (that's the user name you will give to your friends), with a password, a complicated one as you are opening you computer to others (you will give this password only to your friends).

In Shared folders, add the directory where the files you want to share are (place all files in the same folder, it's a lot easier). That's it.

You will need to have FileZilla Server started (not necessarily FileZilla Server Interface) so that your friends can access your computer.

To test your configuration, launch FileZilla (the client), in address you type myname.dyndns.org, the user and password you created for your friends, leave port empty.

Normally in the Remote Site part you should see files that you want to share. (if not, then you mistake somewhere, meaning my explanations were not good, :o ).

Then you can send an email to your friends like:

Hi,

I have cool files to share with you. To download them just go to:

ftp://user:[email protected]

That's it.

GOOD LUCK

Edited by yeti