Marrying A Thai In England Part 3

Well, many moons ago this topic:

followed by this:

Caused a few arguments.

Today, I phoned my local Register Office in South London to find out some details as I'm possibly going to get married in the UK to my gf (who will come on a fiance visa)...if we don't get married in Thailand.

The procedure is thus:

Gf arrives on fiance visa, and after at least seven days in the UK you both go in person and "Give notice of Marriage" cost £33.50 each.

You have to show passport, 2 forms of address, council tax bill etc and produce a written statement saying gf has stayed with me at my address for at least 8 days (which is a bit contradictory to the above I know)

After 15 days you can then find somewhere to get married...Cost £40 each and £3.50 for a wedding certificate... :D

When I asked about "What if you've got married abroad already" the answer was "No, of course you can't get married again!" ;)

So there you go... :D

RAZZ

And when my wife told DVLC she had taken her driving test in LOS they told her it didn't count. :)

1. Congrats and best wishes.

2. Looking at the heading of your post, can't resist.

Meeting a Thai in Thailand: Part 1

Dating aThai in wherever: Part 2

Marrying a Thai in England: Part 3

????????????????????: Part 4 ?:):D :jap:

Today, I phoned my local Register Office in South London to find out some details as I'm possibly going to get married in the UK to my gf (who will come on a fiance visa)...if we don't get married in Thailand.

When I asked about "What if you've got married abroad already" the answer was "No, of course you can't get married again!" ;)

So there you go... :D

RAZZ

Yup, there you go, you ring up, you get a receptionist and they state the law to you with the limited information you have just related to them.

I assume you have read the linked threads you have attached and the arguments submitted from both sides, both sides having more weighty protaganists than a receptionist, so begs the question why open this can of worms again.

I think it is a really important question and needs a proper verified and qualified answer, but like many things in UK law, some things are blurred and open to interpretation.

The best qualified answer I can interpret from all the responses from all the three threads, is that it will cause doubts regarding the validity of the original marriage.

Unless anyone can prove me wrong in law that is, just to state it is illegal, is plain wrong, it is just too fuzzy as it stands.

Yup, there you go, you ring up, you get a receptionist and they state the law to you with the limited information you have just related to them.

I've read the OP several times, and cannot see where he says that he spoke to a receptionist. Whoever he spoke to, they do seem to have got the procedure correct ( see Marriage and civil partnership: your legal obligations).

As for the question of whether one can marry the same person twice, as you say this question has been done to death in the two previous threads; with differing opinions from different official and qualified sources. Anyone who is interested can read the various arguments in those topics linked to in the OP.

I see no reason for going through those arguments again.

Closed.