Mandatory Insurance Sticker

Xircal

Could somebody help me out here with a picture of what the sticker looks like which I believe has to be attached to the windscreen of a vehicle to demonstrate that it's properly insured to the minumum requirement in Thailand?

To save on your image storage quota on this site, download Faststone Photo Resizer which will reduce a bitmap image from it's usual 2-3MB to about 150K.

Also, am I putting myself at risk by driving a pickup truck to market loaded with chickens when I don't have a work permit? I'm only trying to help somebody out here for a day or two, but want to avoid any potential problems with the police should they happen to spot me on the road.

If the police ask you about the chickens, tell them you are on the way to make merit (release) as it is someone who is close to you, birthday. Seriously, if you are that concerned get your Thai partner to drive the chuck wagon. If memory serves, the government insurance is paid when the yearly tax renewal is made, that is your sticker.

If the police ask you about the chickens, tell them you are on the way to make merit (release) as it is someone who is close to you, birthday. Seriously, if you are that concerned get your Thai partner to drive the chuck wagon. If memory serves, the government insurance is paid when the yearly tax renewal is made, that is your sticker.

She only has a motorcycle licence. But thanks for the tip about merit. Might come in useful.

As for the pickup, it's only two weeks old and has been bought on HP. Will that have included the annual tax d'you think?

You don't get an insurance sticker any longer.

There is the annual vehicle tax sticker, the one with the year/date which you display on your windscreen.

There is also the compulsory(haha) Government Insurance which is now issued as a document and should be carried in your vehicle.

Further insurance, ie 1st class is optional and will also be detailed on a document issued by the insurance company.

Tax and insurance is all one sticker now. If the truck is new, you should be okay.

You don't get an insurance sticker any longer.

There is the annual vehicle tax sticker, the one with the year/date which you display on your windscreen.

There is also the compulsory(haha) Government Insurance which is now issued as a document and should be carried in your vehicle.

Further insurance, ie 1st class is optional and will also be detailed on a document issued by the insurance company.

OK, not sure which of you guys gave the correct answer here because your respective posts are only 7 mins apart, so apetley could have been writing still when jaiyenyen's post first appeared on the forum.

The only one you need to display is the tax sticker. (As mentioned the one with the date 2554 or whatever on)

The smaller mandatory insurance one used to have to be displayed up until a couple of years or so ago but now you don't have to.

As an aside my insurance company supply a little serrated cut out of my policy (about the size of the tax disc) which I also display in the window. Not mandatory but it minimizes the time if I'm stopped at a police checkpoint and they want to take a wander around the car.

The only one you need to display is the tax sticker. (As mentioned the one with the date 2554 or whatever on)

The smaller mandatory insurance one used to have to be displayed up until a couple of years or so ago but now you don't have to.

As an aside my insurance company supply a little serrated cut out of my policy (about the size of the tax disc) which I also display in the window. Not mandatory but it minimizes the time if I'm stopped at a police checkpoint and they want to take a wander around the car.

So if the vehicle is taxed, it's automatically insured, or in other words, you can't have one without the other.

Edited by Xircal

The compulsory insurance is still required to be bought and paid for every year. You go to one of the shops outside the Land Transport Office and show them your car book and they will type up and issue the proper insurance for you and you pay them some baht for this insurance. They will attach a paper to the book indicating the insurance has been paid. Take that in to the registration window and present it with your money and they will stamp your book and give you the tax sticker for the new year. Take that sticker and your book back outside and fix the new tax sticker to the inside of your windshield and put a copy of the pages of your book in the glove-box or somewhere in the vehicle. Any other items fixed to the windows of the vehicle are there for decoration as the tax sticker is the only one the BIB care about.

So if the vehicle is taxed, it's automatically insured, or in other words, you can't have one without the other.

Not the case my insurance ran out 3 month's before the tax did on my last car, due to the fact that I was running on red plate's for that lenth time, Thai paper work. With the new one it is only 7 week's. Just because you have tax doesn't mean you have insurance, same as in England.

The compulsory insurance is still required to be bought and paid for every year.

I buy my insurance from The Viriyah Insurance Co here in CNX and they give me a small square sticker for the windshield each year showing the effective dates for the policy.

The compulsory insurance is still required to be bought and paid for every year.

I buy my insurance from The Viriyah Insurance Co here in CNX and they give me a small square sticker for the windshield each year showing the effective dates for the policy.

Sure but now you dont have to display.

You can't get a tax card without minimum insurance. "MOST" buy them together at the same place. THis means you are always covered. THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS I'm sure, but Pareto says, 80% of cars with a valid tax card will have the min insurance.

on an new vehicle still on red plates, there is no sticker at all. sticker for TAX is issued when white plates are issued, and insurance is needed to show DLT before issuing.

Tax sticker is valid for one year. If vehicle was on red plate and had insurance from 1st day, which is common, insurance will expire before tax sticker. For my 2010 Vigo insurance expires approx 6 months before tax/sticker.

DLT only requires valid insurance when issuing tax sticker, not valid for one year as the tax sticker is.

30 % of all vehicles in Thailand are driving around without valid compulsory insurance, according to the insurancecompanies.