Honda Steeds Seem To Be Becoming A Rarity

amaran

Around ten years ago when I first came to Thailand there seemed to be quite a lot of Honda Steeds on the road, especially in Pattaya. On the times I have been to Pattaya recently I have very rarely seen even one. Why is this? In fact, they are rarely seen in Bangkok compared to ten years ago? For those who like choppers, is there a newer alternative? Could it be because of police harrassment? Or is it because they are difficult to move in increasing traffic congestion? Or is it because they get stolen??? Problems with green book? Why?

Are you sure? For a 400 to 600cc chopper bike are there really many alternatives compared to the Honda Steed - in Thailand? The Yamaha Dragstar seeems to be on par with the Steed, but some prfer the Steed, because the Dragstar has a sharper turn in at slow speeds, even more than the Steed.

What makes the Yamaha Dragstar better? And, what are the other alrernatives you mention - if someone wants to get a chopper around 400cc? What would you advise and why? Take, into consideration comfort, reliability and maintenance - parts and places that can service a bike in Thailand.

Well, the Phantom came on the scene. Former Steed owners discovered that Phantoms are comfortable, totally legal, a lot more practical, and, weighing less, run about as fast as 400cc Steeds. Besides, they discovered that to Thai women, Phantoms are also choppers, so the all-important posing advantage had been lost.

Edited by JSixpack

I was seriously thinking about buying one last year but without a green book the prices are around 70k baht and then IF you are lucky and it passes all the checks for about another 50k it could become legal.

However you are looking at 120k or so for a fully legal one and it will be 10 to 20 years old.

I live about half way between BKK and Chiang Mai and I would have to go 125 km or more to find anyone with the knowledge to fix any problems and if I needed parts I would have the bike off the road for a while so I would then need a second bike plus I would also have to transport the bike somewhere which will need a long bed pick up and several strong men.

Now I ride around on a 5 year old Phantom which is serviced by my village Honda dealer and is never off the road for more than a couple of hours and I use it all the time. If the dealer doesn't have that parts they are delivered in 3 days or less.

Hopefully next year IF Honda build it in Thailand I will seriously look for a Honda VTR 250 at about 145,000 baht brand new with a green book and a 30k 3 year warranty that can be serviced and fixed locally.

I would think it has to be the age of the machines. I have a Phantom and a Steed. The Phantom is easier to have serviced. It shares some parts with the Wave's, so alot of mechanics will work on them. Much harder with the Steed. Only places to work on them are Harley shops really. I also notice alot of Phantoms around everywhere. They are the penny pincher chopper. Similar to the Camaro or Firebird or Mustang in the US, a cheap hot rod. I run around daily on my Steed, and I might see 1 other big chopper, like a Steed, Harley or Dragstar a week, and many weeks I don't see anyone else. I get alot of looks and comments on my Steed, but no one knows what my bike is, they all think it is a Harley. As far as driving it in traffic, I may have 1 incident a day where I just can't squeeze through and am stuck waiting for a car to move or the light to change. I have wide handlebars, with very wide handlebar grips, so I don't worry at all about getting caught in the traffic.

It is a shame about the Steed, it is a great bike. Now in a few years, the Honda Fury will be seen more and more, but at 800,000 baht, they will still be a very rare sight.