Diving Ko Tao

October is the start of the rainy season. There is the possibility of high waves and heavy rains.

That said, we had absolutely no rain last rainy season, and November, usually the rainiest month of the year had perfect weather (bad news for the following months tho).

Best for you to check it all out when you arrive as there are alot of different dive schools on the island, check it out and pick the one you feel the most comfortable with to do your classes.

I'm going diving in October as well, and last time (when I did my Open Water) we checked lots of dive schools. We finally went for SIDS (Samui International Diving School) not the cheapest but it gave the impression of being the most proffessional. It also has luxury boat trips and speed boat trips to virtually everywhere so you are fairly certain to get some good diving in. I hope all goes well.

Suegha

Go to Kao Sarn - lots of Koh Tao schools have agents there, and find the most attractive deal yourself. You'll get a bus/boat ticket, free pickup, advice on accomodation etc. Check out the location of your school - they will transfer people to the main peer in pickups every morning anyway, but it's the evenings when you can get stuck on a secluded beach with only one old VCD for entertainment and crappy food.

You can get a free brochure with all the details about Koh Tao. It's very useful to read it for half an hour before you make a decision.

Some good advise from sbk, quite often during monsoon, Koh Tao is'closed',

November especially

best up to date Koh Tao Info's you can find on this website;

Koh Tao Info

it's possible to book accommodation and dive packages through this site

keep in mind, that with big schools, you'll be rather a big croud underwater....

:o

Everybody goes pretty much to the same dive sites, so it'll be crowded one way or the other.

Safety is important and that's what OP should be looking for, not necessarily had for the cheapest option.

Edited by limbos

hi,

i'm thinking of going to ko tao somewehre between september and october. i'd like to try some diving. does anyone have anyrecommendations regarding dive schools? not too expensive but with a good security standard.

thanks a lo

I don’t dive myself but for many years my son and I have visited Ban´s over x-mas and I can highly recommend that place.

http://www.amazingkohtao.com/

Viking

• 2 weeks later...

Some good comments already but there are a few things to consider.

Koh Tao is one of the largest dive training areas in the world (for both new divers & instructors). Make sure that you feel comfortable with the Dive Shop & Instructor you choose.

There are almost 50 Dive Shops on Koh Tao offering dive courses & fun dives. Check that the Shop is professional and has decent equipment. Promises do not mean much if they are empty. :o

If this is too much check out http://www.kohtaoonline.com/ for Koh Tao Info & http://www.kohtadoc.com for information from Koh Tao Dive Operators Club

Koh Tao does not close during the rainy season anymore but this is normally the time when many Instructors take time off as there is less work. Many visitors have had better conditions during this time then at other times of the year, changing weather patterns :D

You will have a great time at almost every Dive Shop if you check their offer first.