Low Powered Fm Radio Transmitter

JimShortz

I'm looking for a way to stream UK radio on my computer and then listen to it when out in the yard, without a massive wiring job (which I can't really do in a rented house).

One solution I have seen is to buy a low powered FM radio transmitter (like this one: 100mW/500mW Power adj.87-108Mhz radio FM TRANSMITTER). I would just buy that off ebay but they can't ship to an address not registered with Paypal and Paypal won't let me add a non-UK address, not even as a gift address. I've Googled this, and that is Google's policy. You can add the address at the time of purchase, but not register it with Paypal and there are reasons why the seller won't send to a non-registered address, blah, blah, blah...

Anyway, can I buy one in Thailand? What are my other options for getting streaming UK radio outside? I need to listen about 50metres from my computer. I guess I could just crank it up! :rolleyes:

PS I know you can buy those cigarette lighter FM transmitters for cars but they only have a couple of metres range - no use at all for this purpose.

Not on my phone unfortunately... Not for 800 Baht, and I have little interest in expensive phones - I'm too prone to losing or breaking the fragile little things. I just want a way of doing this at home.

Thanks for the idea though. :D

There is a local TV/Cable/spare parts etc electronics shop on Theprasit Road, right hand side if driving towards the beach, that sells AV transmitters. One of these will do the job, I think they have a 50 meter range and I used to use one to send sound from one side of my pool to a sala on the other side. It will also transmit TV pictures.

I can't be more specific about the location of the shop except that it is about half way down - maybe nearer the Sukhumvit end - as it is 4 years since I bought it.

I suggest you drive down with someone who reads Thai,they may be able to spot it. The shop is always packed with Thai workmen buying electronic bits and pieces they need to carry out installations and repairs.

There is a local TV/Cable/spare parts etc electronics shop on Theprasit Road, right hand side if driving towards the beach, that sells AV transmitters. One of these will do the job, I think they have a 50 meter range and I used to use one to send sound from one side of my pool to a sala on the other side. It will also transmit TV pictures.

I can't be more specific about the location of the shop except that it is about half way down - maybe nearer the Sukhumvit end - as it is 4 years since I bought it.

I suggest you drive down with someone who reads Thai,they may be able to spot it. The shop is always packed with Thai workmen buying electronic bits and pieces they need to carry out installations and repairs.

Thank you. That sounds like a great option, except I rarely go to Bangkok.

Does anyone know if I can buy one of these in Chiang Mai?

If you're a bit handy with a soldering iron, you can build one yourself for about 40 baht. Let me dig up a schematic...

http://tacashi.tripod.com/elctrncs/smplfmtr/smplfmtr.htm

http://transmitters.tripod.com/begin.htm

You don't need a PCB if you don't want to, these simple circuits can be built haywire style, on a piece of cardboard.

Or ask someone to build one for you. Parts are easily available at any electronics market in Thailand. (In Bangkok try Ban Mo)

Sorry, I thought the query was in the Pattaya forum.

There must be similar shops in CM. I doubt you will find one in a regular home stereo/TV type shop though. They will have them in the traditional shops that cater for Thai TV/satellite installation engineers etc.

One way to find such a shop is to enquire for a shop that sells TV cable splitter boxes etc.

Ask for an AV transmitter - they should know what you mean.

Are wireless headphones mostly the same thing. If the XT is out front or at the window you should get some range. They normally work around the house pretty well. My daughter had some years ago and I had no problem using them. ranged as much as any wireless phone would. Tesco a few hundred baht.

I posted a question about where to buy a stand alone internet radio that connects directly to the internet without using the PC, but no replies yet. In Europe you get them everywhere starting 2.000b or so, but here in CNX I haven't seen them yet and I really want one. I don't like to keep all my system on just to listen radio.

webradio-ecouter-radio-musique.jpg

Check this out, Freecom Music Pal, cheap, very simple to connect and to use. I'm gonna get one ! In Europe it's for sale for eu109, weight is 1,8kg.

Internet radio -- a market which seems to be heating up lately -- is getting another entry to the game in Freecom's latest device. The company has just announced its MusicPal WiFi radio, which can access up to 5,000 pre-programmed internet stations (or you can add your own), stream your MP3s and WAVs from your PC or network, and can be connected to your home stereo when it's time to really party. The petite, stylish device runs on the Linux 2.6 kernel, has 802.11b/g and wired 10/100 RJ45 connectivity, and sports a 128x64 pixel monochrome LCD display. The MusicPal goes on sale in August for €129, although the company is taking pre-orders right now.

5935-IMG9587s.jpg

5935-IMG9588s.jpg

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

• 1 year later...

A pity cute things like that never seem to find their way to Thailand.

Been away for a while and came back. I thought standalone Wifi internet radio/music streamer products should appeal to many expats. We are now authorized retailer of a UK brand mentioned in this thread.

Edited by thatp

Be very careful about any radio transmitter not sold in Thailand.

The telecommunication laws are very strict and all units must be tested and approved by the PTT.

According to National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission, no licence is required for import and sale of low-powered FM radio transmitter with transmission power of 10 mW or less.

Just asked a friend of me he works for the Dutch National Radio and they recommend this one.

http://www.revo.co.u...evo-pico-ir.php

And I ordered this one already... life is beautiful :D

sbradiol2.jpg

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/4147293/art/logitech/squeezebox-radio.html

The radio you have looks like a Squeezebox. Would appreciate it if you could let me know how much you paid for it and from which retailer? Can it stream music files stored on a network-attached storage (NAS)? Just curious. Thanks.