Bangkok's Top Toilets Lauded

webfact

The bottom line is very simple.

Until Thailand has much better quality politicians (highly capable, able to do proper analysis, able to envision the future with massive improvements and gains, sincere, and honest, and able to direct wel planned quality implementation, on time - and these people do exist), then we will continue to see rubbish activity like this, not focused on any long-term big picture, losing time whilst the surrounding countries go ahead fast with development and impovements, and wasting massive amounts of taxpayers funds which should be spent on massive changes and improvements to education methodology etc etc.

soon LAOS will will have thailand bent over the table selling us eletric from the Mekong river.......Wait, is;nt thailand on the Mekong???????? Edited by sunanta

You're never going to have hygenic toilets when people squat down and shoot their diahorrea all over the place and proceed to put their shitty toilet paper in a bin next to the toilet rather than flushing it.

I could not agree more. Are the really a toilet? I think a hole in the ground is a better description.

The bottom line is very simple.

Until Thailand has much better quality politicians (highly capable, able to do proper analysis, able to envision the future with massive improvements and gains, sincere, and honest, and able to direct wel planned quality implementation, on time - and these people do exist), then we will continue to see rubbish activity like this, not focused on any long-term big picture, losing time whilst the surrounding countries go ahead fast with development and impovements, and wasting massive amounts of taxpayers funds which should be spent on massive changes and improvements to education methodology etc etc.

AMEN..!!

The Thai Government and general attitude is entirely responsible for dragging Thailand from the top of the heap, where it was 40 years ago, to the bottom...

Bangkok will never be Singapore.

Hopefully not !!! :realangry:

Don’t worry,

The last time I did see a report by the Minister of Health it showed 73% of Thai people do NOT wash their hands after having gone to the toilet.

I put this to the test were I live, there are nine (9) females in the community building, 2-office 7- housekeeping. Not a one of them wash their hands. As for the toilet, I couldn’t go there, the smell stops me.

I placed a soap dispenser with bacteria fighting soap at the hand basin in addition to three (3) towels. Within a week the soap and towels had disappeared. Oh, not stolen, Thais do not steal. Reminds me when working in Oman when Emir Kabooz had made a statement in public “everything I own belongs to you” (meaning the citizens). One day the Bedouins came and rolled up the mess tent, the Emir said let them have it (based on his public statement). I know nobody in Thailand ever made that statement but when it is not nailed or bolted down rest assured Thais will take it. The gathering from when they were living in the Jungle (forest) is still part of their mentality.

Bangkok will never be Singapore.

Love it! I was in Mumbai last year renewing my employment visa and my driver/fixer was yapping about how they wanted to make Mumbai like Singapore, nearly threw up, i was laughing so hard. And then i asked him are they going to blow the place up first and start over?

You're never going to have hygenic toilets when people squat down and shoot their diahorrea all over the place and proceed to put their shitty toilet paper in a bin next to the toilet rather than flushing it.

I agree 100%...disgusting how anyone could toss used tissue in the basket.

As I understand, it is a remnant from the times when toilets were all connected to septic tanks and had undersized pipes. Toilet paper then either clogged the pipes or did not degrade properly in the septic tank.

There's nowadays no reason in Thailand's big cities to toss the used tissue in the basket.

It's just GROSS, staying there in the heat the whole day bah.gif

Unfortunately you are incorrect. Although the BMA does have a sewage system, raw sewage makes it way into the Bay on a regular basis. The system cannot handle the waste generated within the BMA. It is better to put the poo wipes in the solid waste receptacle than to dump it into an over burdened system where it may or may not make it to the sewage treatment plant. When people flush their toilets in Bangkok, chances are that the sewer system is leaking all along the way to the facility.

In Patong, after I flush, I often get a giggle when I walk out to the balcony and gaze over to the beach and wonder if the folks frolicing realize that I a little bit of me will soon be joining them. :) I consider it my way of welcoming the junketeers.

Edited by geriatrickid

I agree 100%...disgusting how anyone could toss used tissue in the basket.

As I understand, it is a remnant from the times when toilets were all connected to septic tanks and had undersized pipes. Toilet paper then either clogged the pipes or did not degrade properly in the septic tank.

There's nowadays no reason in Thailand's big cities to toss the used tissue in the basket.

It's just GROSS, staying there in the heat the whole day bah.gif

Unfortunately you are incorrect. Although the BMA does have a sewage system, raw sewage makes it way into the Bay on a regular basis. The system cannot handle the waste generated within the BMA. It is better to put the poo wipes in the solid waste receptacle than to dump it into an over burdened system where it may or may not make it to the sewage treatment plant. When people flush their toilets in Bangkok, chances are that the sewer system is leaking all along the way to the facility.

In Patong, after I flush, I often get a giggle when I walk out to the balcony and gaze over to the beach and wonder if the folks frolicing realize that I a little bit of me will soon be joining them. :) I consider it my way of welcoming the junketeers.

Toilet paper is normally broken down within 100 yards of sewer pipe after being flushed. It shouldn't be a problem.

I studied Civil Engineering and I've done water and waste papers, and I have to say the task of upgrading Bangkok's sewerage infrustracture to effeciently serve 12 million people would be an absolutely daunting task.

Better off to just knock the whole place down and start again, but of course that can't happen.

It was Mr. Happy Toilet Wan's brother, Duang, who hid out in Cambodia. When he came back, he was found not guilty and was reinstated in the Army where he quickly rose to the rank of Major in a matter of months despite having been AWOL from the Army for 2 years, I believe it was.

Just to put the right spin to this.

Many years ago the Y. brothers were accused of avoiding their conscription duties and obtaining falsified Sor Dor 43 documents. Consequently they were not reinstated in the police. (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-46792213.html) which they had quit 'volontarily (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-20716529.html).

I do not think either of them served in the Army, after the affair their application would be rejected.

For further clarity, Chalerm's son was reinstated in the Army on April 23, 2008 as a Second Lieutenant with his father who was the Interior Minister in Samak's Cabinet at the time. That was his rank at the time when "someone" shot Police Sergeant-Major Suvichai Rodwimud in the head at point blank range on October 21, 2001. He had to be reinstated because he had been dishonorably discharged for desertion in 2002, as he had fled an arrest warrant for Rodwimud's murder.

Interior Minister: Son's Reinstatement in Army Justified

The Interior Minister adorned his son with a Second Lieutenant epaulet this morning at his residence, insisting that his son's reinstatement is legally justified.

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung revealed that he adorned his son, Duang Yoobamrung, with a Second Lieutenant epaulet this morning at the auspicious time of 8:19am at his residence.

TAN Network - April 23, 2008

Just over 2 months later, and as a Major now, Duang was appointed by his father, the Interior Minister Chalerm, to be a member on his special Interior Ministry group, the Interior Ministry's Drug Suppression Committee, which sought to revive Thaksin's War on Drugs.

Interior Minister appoints his son as Anti-Drug Committee Member

The Interior Minister appointed one of his sons as a member of the special committee to tackle drug problems.

Major Duang Yoobamrung, the son of Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, was appointed to work with the Interior Ministry's Drug Suppression Committee, which is a special unit that supports operations to reduce drug problems.

The official letter of his appointment was signed by his farther, the Interior Minister himself, on July 4th, 2008.

TAN Network - July 5, 2008

I will correct my foggy memory on the length of time he was on the run from the law. He fled the arrest warrant, but surrendered 6 months later on May 2, 2002 at the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Duang was found not guilty of murdering the decorated police officer by the criminal court on March 27, 2004 due to insufficient evidence.

Mr. Happy Toilet Wan and his brother Duang in his Army uniform:

duengchalerm1.jpg

and their dad, currently Pheu Thai Party MP's Chairman, Chalerm during a session in Parliament:

chalerm.jpg

Many years ago the Y. brothers were accused of avoiding their conscription duties and obtaining falsified Sor Dor 43 documents. Consequently they were not reinstated in the police. (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-46792213.html) which they had quit 'volontarily (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-20716529.html).

I do not think either of them served in the Army, after the affair their application would be rejected.

For further clarity, Chalerm's son was reinstated in the Army on April 23, 2008 as a Second Lieutenant with his father who was the Interior Minister in Samak's Cabinet at the time. That was his rank at the time when "someone" shot Police Sergeant-Major Suvichai Rodwimud in the head at point blank range on October 21, 2001. He had to be reinstated because he had been dishonorably discharged for desertion in 2002, as he had fled an arrest warrant for Rodwimud's murder.

The Interior Minister adorned his son with a Second Lieutenant epaulet this morning at his residence, insisting that his son's reinstatement is legally justified.

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung revealed that he adorned his son, Duang Yoobamrung, with a Second Lieutenant epaulet this morning at the auspicious time of 8:19am at his residence.

Just over 2 months later, and as a Major now, Duang was appointed by his father, the Interior Minister Chalerm, to be a member on his special Interior Ministry group, the Interior Ministry's Drug Suppression Committee, which sought to revive Thaksin's War on Drugs.

The Interior Minister appointed one of his sons as a member of the special committee to tackle drug problems.

Major Duang Yoobamrung, the son of Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, was appointed to work with the Interior Ministry's Drug Suppression Committee, which is a special unit that supports operations to reduce drug problems.

The official letter of his appointment was signed by his farther, the Interior Minister himself, on July 4th, 2008.

I will correct my foggy memory on the length of time he was on the run from the law. He fled the arrest warrant, but surrendered 6 months later on May 2, 2002 at the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Duang was found not guilty of murdering the decorated police officer by the criminal court on March 27, 2004 due to insufficient evidence.

duengchalerm1.jpg

and their dad, currently Pheu Thai Party MP's Chairman, Chalerm during a session in Parliament:

chalerm.jpg

I guess I have to go to Panthip Plaza to upgrade my memory :huh:

Toilet paper is normally broken down within 100 yards of sewer pipe after being flushed. It shouldn't be a problem.

I studied Civil Engineering and I've done water and waste papers, and I have to say the task of upgrading Bangkok's sewerage infrustracture to effeciently serve 12 million people would be an absolutely daunting task.

Better off to just knock the whole place down and start again, but of course that can't happen.

Key word is normally. You are assuming alot of things such as asufficient fluid pressure that would encourage the paper to degrade and that would dissolve the resulting paste. Again the problem is the integrity of the piping. Root attacks, and construction deficiencies cause some sections of the system to leak like a sprinkler. The end result is that a lot of liquid goes where it is not supposed to leaving some sections with low flow. That creates a residual sludge that is not dispersed. Haven't you seen the workers climbing down into the sewer holes and scooping out the sludge?It's a slow moving substance that regularly blocks and clogs the collectors. It's made worse by all the other waste like sanitary napkins and dispensers along with condoms that are flushed. The end result in some sections is papier mache. You are also assuming the pipes are of sufficient circumference to handle the flow. They don't have big collectors in some of the heavily populated older areas. I'm not arguing against toilet paper because I do use it. However, if you have seen some of the sewer sections, you will understand why the raw sewage gets dumped into the bay. For that reason alone, it can be argued that that the disposal of the paper waste is a better solution. And yes you are right about the need to rebuild the sewer system. Unfortunately, the Klong Daan sewage treatment project of 1995, under Prime Minister Chatchai Chunawan’s government illustrated why upgrades are difficult. It was supposed to be the largest sewage treatment utility in Southeast Asia, with a total budget of 23,700 million baht. The project was a fiasco.

You're never going to have hygienic toilets when people squat down and shoot their diarrhea all over the place and proceed to put their shitty toilet paper in a bin next to the toilet rather than flushing it.

Yes, Sir. Until this Farang's young American lawyer, just told me straight out, it is the uncivilized and delirious [He also used the 'F' word which was unnecessary] . Lord have mercy on them. Help put us in more of a position to educate and tolerate.

post-74998-036071900 1286631571_thumb.pn

quote:

unquote

duengchalerm1.jpg

chalerm.jpg

I guess I have to go to Panthip Plaza to upgrade my memory :huh:

That's ok. With as much as this family has been up to, it's no easy task to keep it all straight.

They need to get rid of pay-toilets. They are usually the dirtiest and unmaintained toilets I've ever been in. The collected money are obviously not going into frequent cleaning and maintenance, and instead probably into the pockets of the collector sitting at the table guarding the entrance.

I vividly recall seeing once an obese woman sitting outside toilets at a bus station, wondering whether all the money she has been collecting is funding food for herself.

If you calculate the amount of money collected, I think it's significantly higher compared to average Thai salaries.

Edited by hyperdimension

I can't stop laughing at this. I would be embarrassed to wear a blue sash claiming I was "Mr Happy Toilet". That is really something to be remembered by! Oh god, this country never ceases to amaze me on its ceremonial obsession for absolutely nothing important!

I have just been informed by the Bureau of Toiletries that a "Mr Happy Bidet" will be needed soon. Due to my renowned knowledge and my astute Public Health proclivities it seems that I am the person to nominate someone. So asiawatcher, I have nominated you. You do get to pick two Thai beauties when you are filmed at your debut. I have asked that you be given a sash of any color other than blue in respect to your status.

This is well worth a read. This article underlines just how venal Thai politicians are.  Thank God the project has been shelved.

mekongwatch.org/.../Klong%20Dan_Project%20Brief_ English%20(2010%2002%2027).pdf