Kawasaki Ninja 650R And Er6N

husskydog

Got a phone call to pop into my dealer, korat, with my ninja 650r...they want to change the right hand foot rest? he called it a recall.....any idea`s?

Oh, and while lubing my chain today i noticed play in my rear wheel, checked the spindle was tight and ok...sh1t, 12,000 miles and the rear bearing goosed...well pissed i might add...anyone had this..?

HD

p.s any links and costs for the REAR SETS in gold colour here in LOS..thanks

Not for this perhaps?

Ninja 650R Recall Kawasaki is recalling 676 Ninja 650 R motorcycles due to linkage/pedal issues.

On certain model 2009 EX650 C9F/Fl and certain 2010 EX650 CAF/FL Ninja 650 motorcycles, the right rear portion of the lower cowling can interfere with the operator's foot while in the process of applying the rear brake.

If this happens, the rider can be distracted, and possibly crash.

Dealers will install an updated footrest guard and fairing bracket free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on or before July 19, 2010.

Owners may contact Kawasaki consumer serives department at 1-866-802-9381. nd/or contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236.

Correct Nikster, this recall affects the Ninja 650R / ER6f and NOT the ER6n.

Goofy recall IMO. It's got nothing to do with the footrest- it's the right hand heel guard plate that they're going to replace, and here's why:

In February this year Kawasaki were testing a version of the Ninja 650R (ER-6F) it was apparently a model offered in the Japanese market. One of the test riders reported interference between his riding boot and the cowling while attempting to apply the rear brake. Kawasaki conducted an investigation of this symptom and determined that a unique combination of rider foot position and footwear could result in interference while applying the rear brake.

Kawasaki advise that there have been no reports of this phenomenon from any owner but has decided to take recall action anyway.

Kawasaki will send a Recall Notice to all owners of the affected model. This will direct the owner to contact the dealer to arrange for corrective action, which will consist primarily of the installation of a guard to prevent the operator's foot from getting hung up on the cowling lip.

-----------------------------------------------

This is what they'll do to your bike:

kawa+recall%5B43%5D.jpg

kawa+recall%5B42%5D.jpg

Silly, no? :rolleyes:

Ride On!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Thx for the clarification Tony!

Sure, it's silly, the rear brake is near useless for braking anyway - but this kind of issue has gotten a lot of press lately. Toyota + stuck accelerators and so on. Being extra cautious about safety concerns makes the company look good and avoids a potential big problem, however unlikely. In fact, it does make me feel good about the brakes :D

Oh, and while lubing my chain today i noticed play in my rear wheel, checked the spindle was tight and ok...sh1t, 12,000 miles and the rear bearing goosed...well pissed i might add...anyone had this..?

Is the 19,000 km or 12,000? Regardless shouldn't modern wheel bearings and seals last longer?

I have a D-Tracker and have noticed grease contaminated the wheel bearings when the wheels have been removed. Also the steering bearings get the grease washed out (on the D-T); I felt friction in the steering at around 14,000 km and had a shop clean and repack the bearings. Now at 39,000 had both steering bearings replaced as they were in terrible shape; also had the Kawasaki shop replace my wheel bearings seals (cheap).

Would guess this is a result of having the bike pressure washed and riding more often in the rain (two things that almost never happened in Canada). Over many bikes I have worn out motors, suspension linkages, several sprockets, clutches and gotten leaking forks; all the while the wheel bearings were great. I would do wheel bearing seals twice a year given my normal NA mileage.

Cheers

p.s any links and costs for the REAR SETS in gold colour here in LOS..thanks

Are these the rearsets you're looking for?

EX650RRearsetSSR.jpg

Give me a call and I'll hook you up B)

EX650RRearset1SSR.jpg

Been running these on my ER6n "RR" for the last 6 weeks and LOVE 'EM! :D

EX650RRearsetWeight1SSR.jpg

They weigh a fraction of the stock stays-

EX650StayStepWeightSSR.jpg

I'm running silver but have 'em in anodized gold too.

Ride On!

Tony

ThailandCircuitER6nRR1Sept2010SSR.jpg

Correct Nikster, this recall affects the Ninja 650R / ER6f and NOT the ER6n.

Goofy recall IMO. It's got nothing to do with the footrest- it's the right hand heel guard plate that they're going to replace, and here's why:

In February this year Kawasaki were testing a version of the Ninja 650R (ER-6F) it was apparently a model offered in the Japanese market. One of the test riders reported interference between his riding boot and the cowling while attempting to apply the rear brake. Kawasaki conducted an investigation of this symptom and determined that a unique combination of rider foot position and footwear could result in interference while applying the rear brake.

Kawasaki advise that there have been no reports of this phenomenon from any owner but has decided to take recall action anyway.

Kawasaki will send a Recall Notice to all owners of the affected model. This will direct the owner to contact the dealer to arrange for corrective action, which will consist primarily of the installation of a guard to prevent the operator's foot from getting hung up on the cowling lip.

-----------------------------------------------

This is what they'll do to your bike:

kawa+recall%5B43%5D.jpg

kawa+recall%5B42%5D.jpg

Silly, no? :rolleyes:

Ride On!

Tony

LOS recalls are quiet, not more noisy than a phone call for sure. auto and bike industry same.

Replaced on my bike couple of weeks ago. My bike was changed to white by kwaker Phuket, and they replaced this part without letting me know

post-81971-001122800 1286598384_thumb.jp

^ You need to replace that blue spring though. And no grab rails for tilac?

Kawasaki conducted an investigation of this symptom and determined that a unique combination of rider foot position and footwear could result in interference while applying the rear brake.

So has the offending footwear company issued their recall yet? :rolleyes:

^ You need to replace that blue spring though. And no grab rails for tilac?

There are yellow Koni shocks, red Eibachs springs and now blue KYB springs. New fashion in town:)

I like a smooth rear end, so tirac can hold on to me or ride her own bike:D

Just let you tirac know that an overhand grasb is always best, safer that way, less chance of slipping off. :lol: :lol: :lol: