Usa Nhtsa Recall Notice - Kawasaki.

Garry

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This just came out today from the US based NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)

This is not a doom and gloom post. Just wanted to let people know of the recall and if it may effect Kawasaki 650's here.

This is the equivelant ER6N/Ninja but US spec

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=10V323&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true&refurl=email

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): KAWASAKI / EX650C9F 2009

KAWASAKI / EX650CAF 2010

Manufacturer: KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A.Mfr's Report Date: JUL 06, 2010NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V323000 N/ANHTSA Action Number: N/A Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:PEDALS AND LINKAGESPotential Number of Units Affected: 676Summary:

KAWASAKI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009 EX650C9F/FL AND MODEL YEAR 2010 EX650CAF/FL NINJA 650 MOTORCYCLES.

THE RIGHT REAR PORTION OF THE LOWER COWLING CAN INTERFERE WITH THE OPERATOR¿S FOOT WHILE IN THE PROCESS OF APPLYING THE REAR BRAKE. Consequence:

THIS COULD DIMINISH THE OPERATOR¿S CONTROL OVER BRAKE FORCE APPLICATION OR DISTRACT THE OPERATOR, CREATING THE POTENTIAL FOR A CRASH RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH.Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL AN UPDATED FOOTREST GUARD AND FAIRING BRACKET. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE.

THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE JULY 19, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT KAWASAKI CONSUMER SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT 866-802-9381.Notes:

OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Heard about this recall a few days ago on some Kawasaki forums -

I'm having a hard time visualizing the problem...

Ninja650RCFRSPlates1SSR.jpg

They're saying that on some bikes the lower fairing interferes with the brake pedal? Only way I could imagine that happening is if they installed the lower bracket incorrectly or something strange like that...

I'm curious to see what the "footrest guard" looks like...

Anyway- I've been running my bike without the lowers for a while now so it's not really an issue for me, but I'm still curious to know if any bikes in Thailand are affected by the recall.

Happy Trails!

Tony

I can only imagine if you are "going for it" in a racing crouch, [in my case my right foot goes under the pedal in a comfortable natural way] but i always have 2 fingers hovering over the brake & clutch levers,

So sitting up to brake could bring your boot sole to rest on the fairing and pedal, so perhaps the guard they are talking about is fitted to the pedal, so it stops your boot going to far inwards and pressing on the fairing?