Importing Wifes Car, Can It Be Done?

I have heard all the horror stories about anyone importing a car into LOS.

However, I seem to recall hearing somewhere that if we returned to Thailand, my wife could, provided the car has been in her name for 3 + years, import the car as personal affects. Without the usual import duties etc.

Could anyone confirm this or have done this themselves?

Many Thanks. :)

its pretty clear on the thai customs website----------but it would appear that importing a car once is a concession in that yes you can do it but you still pay tax

there is a sliding scale of duty you should look at

we had this one a couple of times before....IT DOES NOT WORK. You need a permit from the Ministry of Transport and no one I ever heard of obtained it.

Temporary import is possible but will cost you a lot of cash to deposit with customs.

You can do it but it will cost you more than the car is worth what ever it is.

In my dreamer days of wanting to bring my precious motorbike l wanted keep, into Thailand, after all the which ways and loose of getting it here in one piece l look at sending it just as parts and bits in deperation to no avail.

Cut a long story short Bike worth UK market £3,500 or so cost into Thailland estimated at £4,000 upwards then extra for registration etc. Ended up an apsolutely a no go, it would be easier to drive a London bus up the side of Mt.Snowdon in Wales.:D