Elections All Bars To Close

jdee

Amazing post from the OP. Poor farang bar owner can't make money. It's their country , their rules. It's not all about farangs & drinking. What about workers that have to vote? They might have to travel.

A very narrow view jeanelle.Think of the bigger picture.If thailand wants to be taken seriously as a tourist destination it has to cut some slack to the industry that employs thousands of thais,bolsters foreign currency reserves,and gives face to thailand being a tourist friendly destination.

Exactly

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will see what the thai,s do tonight in walking street, i will let you know if they are selling alcohol from there ice boxes outside peoples bars,

I have lived in thailand a long time now, and i bet anyone for sure they will be selling alcohol.

Shock....horror...:o What, a rule for one and a rule for others.

I for one would'nt be taking you up on that bet.

I'll take the bet. Oooooooooooooooooops what am I saying, I guarantee you can buy a drink in lots of places.Out of sight out of mind.

Not taking the bet but If I see you in Bophut tonight Rooo, I'll buy you a beer :rolleyes:

Have just heard bars can now open tonight,all night.So do they run these rules sitting around drinking thai whisky,thinking its a good idea at the time,then perhaps some pressure to bear makes them rescind it.Truly how can you run a business with such uncertainty.

Why cant the authorities make a reasonable decision that does n't inflict penalties that are unreasonable and stick with it................surely its not too difficult.

Have just heard bars can now open tonight,all night.So do they run these rules sitting around drinking thai whisky,thinking its a good idea at the time,then perhaps some pressure to bear makes them rescind it.Truly how can you run a business with such uncertainty.

Why cant the authorities make a reasonable decision that does n't inflict penalties that are unreasonable and stick with it................surely its not too difficult.

Thats why the TAT use the slogan

' Amazing Thailand ' , as you can only be but ' Amazed ' by the logic of there thinking :whistling:

Who says they can open?

Who says they can open?

khun ngern

Amazing post from the OP. Poor farang bar owner can't make money. It's their country , their rules. It's not all about farangs & drinking. What about workers that have to vote? They might have to travel.

Are you for real?

just in case you live in a bubble, Koh Samui is supposed to be a tourist and holiday destination, to most westerners that means going out and enjoying your holiday in any way that suits

them, so closing entertainment venues is anti productive.

you are correct in noticing "it's their country" but explain this to me, Thailand is supposed to have a democratic democracy!

ok so why dictate to the few people on Samui who can actually vote to refrain from alcohol?

do the powers that be think that banning beer bars from opening will give the voter a clearer reflection on who to vote for? or do they believe that the

voting people are so stupid they believe there is a need to act like big brother.

Just about every bar I know of that is farang owned can not vote, and majority of the staff are not from suratthani.

another thing that you fail to understand is that there are few Bars that actually generate any form of substantial profit, most farang bar owners work their butt off

to maintain enough money to remain here in this great place rather than go back to Europe or Australia.

Who says they can open?

khun ngern

heard it from bar owner in banrak,but did not say who had given them the all clear.

Some people are so self absorbed and sanctimonious they will never get a grip of anything no matter how long they live somewhere.

Anyway, i am not one to get involved in a mud slinging contest and you are welcome to your opinions no matter how narrow minded they might be.

Have a nice day.

well said

woman on Titanic "i have 5 minutes to live someone make me feel like a real woman"

man toss's his shirt at her "iron that and know your place woman"

Who says they can open?

khun ngern

heard it from bar owner in banrak,but did not say who had given them the all clear.

If anyone opens their booze bar, they'll get raided.....

Thank You

Are you for real?

just in case you live in a bubble, Koh Samui is supposed to be a tourist and holiday destination, to most westerners that means going out and enjoying your holiday in any way that suits

you are correct in noticing "it's their country" but explain this to me, Thailand is supposed to have a democratic democracy!

ok so why dictate to the few people on Samui who can actually vote to refrain from alcohol?

do the powers that be think that banning beer bars from opening will give the voter a clearer reflection on who to vote for? or do they believe that the

voting people are so stupid they believe there is a need to act like big brother.

Just about every bar I know of that is farang owned can not vote, and majority of the staff are not from suratthani.

another thing that you fail to understand is that there are few Bars that actually generate any form of substantial profit, most farang bar owners work their butt off

to maintain enough money to remain here in this great place rather than go back to Europe or Australia.

Anyone for a nice pot of tea? :ph34r::coffee1:

I was'nt aware you drank anything other than beer and large Jacks! :D

:o Does no one play the game anymore?

Admit it folks you just don't want to be getting thrice as pissed as you normally would......its irresistable though when it means you're breaking the law.......!

Even the Thais find it all too much....stop moaning and get drunk!!!!

:lol:

Thank You

Are you for real?

Bar owners and Establishments with sense, would know and allow for national days .Do you honestly think all tourists are affected by not being able to buy a drink in a bar for a couple of days ? What gives you the impression that they all come here to drink everyday?

But as it seems, the ones that always moan are the ones with no business sense and desperates and there are a few here.If they are that hard up, go home and get a job

Next will be religious days. Are they also a major inconvenience? Should they be abolished to accommodate the oh so generous and benevolent few moaners?

You are basically saying that because it's a tourist destination, national laws don't apply .

Thank You

Are you for real?

Bar owners and Establishments with sense, would know and allow for national days .Do you honestly think all tourists are affected by not being able to buy a drink in a bar for a couple of days ? What gives you the impression that they all come here to drink everyday?

But as it seems, the ones that always moan are the ones with no business sense and desperates and there are a few here.If they are that hard up, go home and get a job

Next will be religious days. Are they also a major inconvenience? Should they be abolished to accommodate the oh so generous and benevolent few moaners?

You are basically saying that because it's a tourist destination, national laws don't apply .

People such as your good self are what makes a democracy. I commend you. Everyone has the right to their opinion, regardless if it is an opinion held by few. if anyone else. for that matter.

As a matter of interest though, you mention the "few moaners." Well, i have already commented on you not reading the posts, so i shall have to say again, READ THE POSTS, and you will find that it is you my friend who is in the tiny minority.

With your views,I'd also say very doubtful you have been here 25 years....more like 25 days.

People such as your good self are what makes a democracy. I commend you. Everyone has the right to their opinion, regardless if it is an opinion held by few. if anyone else. for that matter.

As a matter of interest though, you mention the "few moaners." Well, i have already commented on you not reading the posts, so i shall have to say again, READ THE POSTS, and you will find that it is you my friend who is in the tiny minority.

With your views,I'd also say very doubtful you have been here 25 years....more like 25 days.

Really? Oh what a learned response.Thailand is the only tourist destiantion in the world, have to change all the laws to suit. Please get real & go out and look at the rest of the world and major tourist destinations.

Not the first or last time someone will moan about having to close for elections / religious or national day.Simple fact is , learn how to live with it , if you can't afford to close for these days, you shouldn't be in business anyway.

Never heard anyone moan about immigration, banks, government offices closing.How dare they? It's a tourist destination.

I am sure tourists are aware of laws & can understand. They are not all the way some people here paint them " can't live without a drink", they are not all bar a hopping mob.

Please excuse me now, have to go to school to learn how to read.

Really? Oh what a learned response.Thailand is the only tourist destiantion in the world, have to change all the laws to suit. Please get real & go out and look at the rest of the world and major tourist destinations.

Not the first or last time someone will moan about having to close for elections / religious or national day.Simple fact is , learn how to live with it , if you can't afford to close for these days, you shouldn't be in business anyway.

Never heard anyone moan about immigration, banks, government offices closing.How dare they? It's a tourist destination.

I am sure tourists are aware of laws & can understand. They are not all the way some people here paint them " can't live without a drink", they are not all bar a hopping mob.

Who mentioned "bar hopping mob?" They are on holiday Dr Holmes. They are looking to have a good time having slogged it out at work for the last year. Bar curfews are simply not tourist friendly are they.

Please don't take the time to reply. However i might be starting a new topic on what have you learnt during your time in Samui if you fancy a swift one liner. :lol:

Enjoy the sunshine.

Who mentioned "bar hopping mob?" They are on holiday Dr Holmes. They are looking to have a good time having slogged it out at work for the last year. Bar curfews are simply not tourist friendly are they.

Please don't take the time to reply. However i might be starting a new topic on what have you learnt during your time in Samui if you fancy a swift one liner. :lol:

Enjoy the sunshine.

. I am just going through the thought process that instigated that response. I have to confess, I am not that bright , my head hurts, time for a beer I suppose.:D

shouldn't take 25 years of living here to make it obvious that thailand does not recognize the rule of law. any advancements towards that status will not come because a foreigner stays mute when laws that are passed which only serve a select group of vested interests are selectively enforced but rather when the local population is taught to think for themselves, question authority and accept responsibility for their actions.

doesn't matter to me what kind of business you run or what country you are in, misguided legislation and random enforcement do not create stability but divisiveness.

Enjoy the sunshine.

. I am just going through the thought process that instigated that response. I have to confess, I am not that bright , my head hurts, time for a beer I suppose.:D

Sorry mate, bars are closed. :D

Drove around Chaweng last night and millions being lost in revenue for sure, a lot of bars closed and the ones that were open (the ones that serve food) were virtually empty. I have never seen such a long closure for a pre election/absentee voter before.

I would suspect that most if not all Hotel and beach bars were open.

At least next week it is not law to close.

PS. Not a police to be seen

When you attend school check to see if they have a subject called COMMON SENSE

Thank You

Are you for real?

Ok I give in, I'm the one with no business sense, I own 3 houses and apartments in the UK. I own 5 houses in Koh Samui and a relatively successful bar here on Samui. I also employ 11 thai staff for whom I pay all national insurance and tax each month (how many thais do you give a good living to?) I was able to retire from work by the age of 45 (self made, no rich daddy or lottery windfall),

and of course (this bit is sarcasm - I'm explaining because I think you're not as inteligent as you believe you are) tourists do not arrive on a tropical paradise to meander around the area taking in all culture and entertainment, they must be like you and not move out of the hotel/room.

As for your really, really, really stupid comment about tourists not being affected by "not being able to have a drink for a few days". When you go to school did you not learn maths because to my

reckoning, a tourist landing here on Thursday the 15th for his or her 16 nights vacation will actually not be able to drink on dates 15,16,17th then again on 29 &30th. That's not a few days it's 5!

By my maths, that's the best part (32%) of their annual relaxation time when their choice is restricted. As for benevolent few moaners, I and many other posters on here are actually responding to your

limited views. if you read peoples posts, I have not seen 1 who has complained about a religious day. I also have not seen 1 post stating that national laws should not apply. What I

believe MOST peoples view is that big brother should not treat their people like imbeciles. Closing entertainment venues in any country in the world will not have droves of want to be voters turning up, a 100 baht bung

will do that.

Your pompus comment about hard up desperates "go home and get a job" - as I have said I aint no skint member and could be regarded as wealthy by most standards. But to suggest that

other bar owners like I said work their arse off should pack up and go home, well I'm staggered. I do not know you but you force me to believe that maybe you're fortunate enough to have a wealthy husband get pension or you're a hippy living in a tent. (Well you made an assuption about me!)

Some people are so self absorbed and sanctimonious they will never get a grip of anything no matter how long they live somewhere.

Anyway, i am not one to get involved in a mud slinging contest and you are welcome to your opinions no matter how narrow minded they might be.

Have a nice day.

pot & kettle !

Have a nice day.

pot & kettle !

:lol: Normally I'd agree but to be fair carmine has it spot on this thread. ;)

Yeah lazy useless bar owners should bugger off home and stop working from lunchtime until the early hours of the morning seven days a week. Bloody chancers so they are.....:crazy::crying:

Have a nice day.

pot & kettle !

I dont know about pot and kettle,the poster that carmine was responding to would appear to have some axe to grind,anyway here's a great place to do it but a pity when developing a point of view is not more open to other opinions.