Lee Aldhouse Held On Phuket Murder Count

webfact

Birmingham kickboxer arrested over death of US soldier in Thailand

A Birmingham kickboxer wanted in Thailand on suspicion of the fatal stabbing of a former US soldier has been arrested on an extradition warrant.

Lee Aldhouse has been remanded in custody at City of Westminster Magistrates and will reappear via video link for a review hearing next week.

The Thai authorities have lodged the extradition request over the death of Dashawn Longfellow on the tropical island of Phuket in the early hours of August 14.

The 27-year-old was named as the prime suspect by Thai police after the body of 23 year-old Mr Longfellow was found at the Yanui Paradise Resort, in southern Phuket.

The decorated soldier was on holiday after being injured while serving in Afghanistan with the US Marines.

According to reports, Aldhouse left Thailand via Cambodia and was thought to have returned to the UK via Singapore.

Source: http://www.birminghampost.net/news/west-midlands-news/2010/10/20/birmingham-kickboxer-arrested-over-death-of-us-soldier-in-thailand-65233-27505227/

BIRMINGHAM POST

-- 2010-10-20

footer_n.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so according the report, he has only just been arrest, and remanded in custody, i thought he was already in custody? ....

He was being held in custody on another matter not this one, he is now being held in custody on this matter

Correct, he has been in custody for a while now, held at an "undisclosed location" at HM (the British one)'s pleasure. This is old news, but freshly reported in the local Birmingham newspaper (presumably because his video link case is coming up).

Well it's good to hear that the extradition warrant has been issued. I doubted that it would get this far, but this must be good news for all concerned. Except for Aldhouse of course.

Cheers, Rick

Well the warrant has been issued and executed, however that does not mean he will be extradited. Now it will go through the judicial system in England where much better lawyers will go over it with a fine tooth comb for any ambiguity, hopefully the police have not done the investigation with the thai lawyers and courts in mind or it will fall at the first hurdle. if the evidence is sound then they have to get past the death sentence issue and the Thai jail conditions, and not forgetting the likelihood of a fair trial in Thailand, This has a few years left in it yet.

Well it's good to hear that the extradition warrant has been issued. I doubted that it would get this far, but this must be good news for all concerned. Except for Aldhouse of course.

Cheers, Rick

Well the warrant has been issued and executed, however that does not mean he will be extradited. Now it will go through the judicial system in England where much better lawyers will go over it with a fine tooth comb for any ambiguity, hopefully the police have not done the investigation with the thai lawyers and courts in mind or it will fall at the first hurdle. if the evidence is sound then they have to get past the death sentence issue and the Thai jail conditions, and not forgetting the likelihood of a fair trial in Thailand, This has a few years left in it yet.

I totally agree with your comments Random. There are a lot of bridges to cross yet.

Cheers, Rick

Does anyone know how long he has been remanded for, only untill next weeks Video conferance?

remands are normally done frequently, he will likely appear weekly or fortnightly and the the prosecution will ask for a further remand. His lawyers will request bail normally and the court will decide whether to grant bail, but based on the seriousness of the offence it is likely no bail will be granted and will be held until completion of the case and either released if not guilty or sentenced if guilty, in this matter though it is based on the extradition and not a trial so he will be held until the extradition hearings are complete and at that point either extradited or released.

I doubt he will be extradited as he faces the death penalty if found guilty. The UK does not extradite in these circumstances.

Thai prosection takes the death penalty off the table. Happens all the time in many countries that have the death penalty. That's the least of the prosecution worries. The most worry is the conditions of the gaol to overcome. Only a prima facie case for murder/manslaughter needs to be met for extradition. If the bad conditions of the gaol issue is overcome then it will be quite easy for the extradition to get through.

Edited by Wallaby

Aldhouse extradition: UK kickboxer in custody for Phuket murder

phuket-1-wGjArvy.jpg

Fugitive murder suspect Lee Aldhouse at a Phuket kickboxing match.

File photo by James Goyder.

PHUKET: -- Fugitive British murder suspect Lee Aldhouse has been remanded in custody at City of Westminster Magistrates after his arrest on a Thai extradition request, the Birmingham Post has reported.

The Birmingham native is wanted for the stabbing murder of 23-year-old US Marine DaShawn Longfellow in Rawai in August.

According to the report, Mr Aldhouse will undergo a review hearing via video link next week.

For our previous update about the extradition process click here

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-10-20

The reporting of this case does seem to suggest it was pre-meditated and vicious.

Assuming enough proof is submitted for extradition then I think a Thai Jail is too good for him. In fact death is too good. If he is found guilty life in a Thai jail may just about be the right sentence, so long as no bribes and corruption transpires. Mmmm that's perhaps more the issue!

...... at HM (the British one)'s pleasure.

Incorrect.

He will be held "On Remand".

Detention during Her Majesty's Pleasure - this is the mandatory sentence for a person convicted of murder who was aged 10 or over but under 18 at the time of the offence.

http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/adviceandsupport/prison_life/lifesentencedprisoners/

When this story was first published a while back I remember a youtube video of this mad dog and some describing him as an animal.

Normally I don't have much sympathy for inmates in jails but in this case I pity anyone who has to be locked up with this nasty piece of shit if he is found guilty and is locked up in Thailand, If found guilty it would be better if he gets the death sentence.

:mellow:

Cheers, Rick

Maybe a daft question but if he doesn't get extradited to Thailand could he be extradited to the US with the victim being of US nationality?

^No because murder was on thai soil, yanks have nowt to do with it.

As I said he will plead human rights issues and won't go anywhere. I hope I am wrong, but I know how soft things are in England.

True. Nevertheless, the US government could, if it chooses, take an active interest in the case and apply a little pressure on British and/or Thai authorities. It probably won't in this case as the victim was a regular citizen and not a person of significant influence.

If the bad conditions of the gaol issue is overcome then it will be quite easy for the extradition to get through.

This is the problem here, they won't be able to get past the prison conditions issue and this is what will enable him to win his battle against extradition, it won't stop there though.

They have the video links for the pre trial hearings so is possible to run the entire trial with the court in Thailand and the accused sitting in an English prison.

I think this has the potential to be quite an advance in legal proceedings.

I doubt he will be extradited as he faces the death penalty if found guilty. The UK does not extradite in these circumstances.

I think also what will occur is he may be brought out here but may end up being extradited to the US for the trail against a US citizen and then Thailand can wash their hands of it.

Cheers, Rick

Maybe a daft question but if he doesn't get extradited to Thailand could he be extradited to the US with the victim being of US nationality?

I think that is a good question. If the Thai authorities fail to get him brought back then the US may have a case. The UK kow-tow to the US on extradition. Ask Gary McKinnon.

^No because murder was on thai soil, yanks have nowt to do with it.

As I said he will plead human rights issues and won't go anywhere. I hope I am wrong, but I know how soft things are in England.

yes things are so soft the british justice system has just put away a saudi prince for a minimum of 20 years for murder.

Normally I don't have much sympathy for inmates in jails but in this case I pity anyone who has to be locked up with this nasty piece of shit if he is found guilty and is locked up in Thailand, :mellow:

No, No, once deprived of steroids, cocaine and yah bahh, you'll see little Lee getting his ass kicked in a Thai Jail.

Normally I don't have much sympathy for inmates in jails but in this case I pity anyone who has to be locked up with this nasty piece of shit if he is found guilty and is locked up in Thailand, :mellow:

No, No, once deprived of steroids, cocaine and yah bahh, you'll see little Lee getting his ass kicked in a Thai Jail.

I would imagine that, as a farang surrounded by Thais, he would better to maintain as low a profile as possible or likely wind up dead.