Maxnet 512/256

kid

Greetings I have had fantastic luck with this service 790 Baht Unlimited per month There has been alot of posts claiming that it is slow I think it has something to do with where you are in Pattaya and condition of your phone line.

Every speed test I have taken and I take them daily and vary the times I do so have all been 340,000 Kb or more but never less VERY FAST

I live very close to the TTT office that must have something to do with it no ?

Greetings I have had fantastic luck with this service 790 Baht Unlimited per month There has been alot of posts claiming that it is slow I think it has something to do with where you are in Pattaya and condition of your phone line.

Every speed test I have taken and I take them daily and vary the times I do so have all been 340,000 Kb or more but never less VERY FAST

I live very close to the TTT office that must have something to do with it no ?

What's your IP address (just the first two numbers will do).

And, no, in this case it doesn't have anything to do with how close you are to the TT&T office.

Those of us having trouble have been having trouble with international bandwidth. Bandwidth for sites within Thailand is OK and in the range you cite. "Speed" on international sites varies widely. It can be fast at times, but usually is quite slow; often no better and sometimes worse than ordinary dial-up.

I think Buadhai means the first 3 digits :D

Or the first set of numbers, before the first dot...

Should be either 202, 203 or 56!

I guess at the moment both 56.XXX.XXX.XXX and 203.XXX.XXX.XXX are the Maxnet4home packages, since I upgraded to Maxnet4life I always get a 202.XXX.XXX.XXX IP address...

For those interested, my Maxnet4life is still OK :o

For those interested, my Maxnet4life is still OK

Glad to hear m8, my 1024/512 service is somewhat Intermittent,

e.g. at least once a day i cant gain any internet access and then when it does return, tis almost 1mb download (expect for international ofc :D ) but still btr than 56k :D

FYI:

MySpeed Results

Download 332,456 bps

Upload 148,384 bps

QOS 2%

RTT 71 ms

MaxPause 859 ms

1024/512 "so-called" package

:o

We spoke to MaxNet customer service last week. They said that there would be improvement in the MaxNet4Home service beginning this week. Still not fast, but better. My results this morning:

Download...........108,408 bps

Upload................86,656 bps

QOS..........................15%

RTT...........................59 ms

MaxPause...............1343 ms

MaxPause still sucks, but the download speeds seem OK.

Incidentally, my IP address is now:

58.147.1.xxx

It used to be in the 203 range....

We spoke to MaxNet customer service last week. They said that there would be improvement in the MaxNet4Home service beginning this week. Still not fast, but better. My results this morning:

58.147.1.xxx

58.147.1.xxx

202 are the first 3 numbers and it is for sure Maxnet4home as the cost is 790 Per month

Or they're using their now infamous marketing trick on you...

You might get bumped to the 203 or 56/58 range soon :o

Petty I never took notice of my IP when my old Maxnet4home package was lightning fast in the beginning...

One big misconception about ADSL is that the phone line condition somehow affects your speed. The fact is that the phone line condition will affect your *maximum* attainable speed to your *CO*. The maximum is usually 8mbits, and the farthest you can be from a CO is a few KM. The catch is that Thailand's ADSL speeds are nowhere near 8mbits (ie. 512k, as in maxnet), so your phone line condition would have to be attrocious to affect the piddling speed you are set to (in the US, you pay a flat fee, and receive whatever speed your phone line is capable of). Not only that, if your line *is* that bad, and can't sustain 512k, then they won't even install the service for you in the first place.

One thing that the line condition will affect is stability: if you have bad wiring (loose contacts, etc), you will get disconnected from time to time. Your speed is not affected.

My phone line condition wrecked my speed.. I would get intermittent drop outs totally and when connected very very painfully slow.. Enormous packet loss and sometimes the model would be connecting at low speed options not the full 1024..

I had to replace my home internal wiring and about 150m to the phone junction box on the nearest pole in my street.. Since then line is stable if not fast..

to say speed is not effected is not a true statement with some of the condition of Thai phone wiring..

Phoneline condition is indeed important, especially if there is a bad contact, or a problem that comes and goes.

I live over 6km from my exchange, so my line is marginal for a 512 connection.

However my connection is very stable, but not always at full speed.

My router always manages to connect at at least 350kbps. The router will shift down speed if the snr ratio gets to low (to much noise on the line, major problem in Thailand)

My speed tests from a Thai server always indicate the speed my modem is connected at within 10%!

If you live within 3 km from the exchange your router/modem should always connect at your rated max speed. At that distance an adsl line should be able to manage at least 2Mbps!!

If it doesn't manage even 512kbps, you most definately have a line problem, and the technicians should come out and do a test on the line!

So far I haven't seen any of the promised improvement in international throughput on my MaxNet4Home account. Still always less than 100 kps.

So, Monty, you still reckon that I'd get better performance out of a MaxNet4Life 256/128 account than I do out of my MaxNet4Home 512/256?

Like I said, LOS, the phone line condition may affect "stability", which is the problem you are experiencing. From what I've seen, most of the stability problems are from the wiring around or within the house.

In monty's case, he is indeed in marginal conditions, something that's pretty rare since, like I said, you have a lot of room (up to 8mbits) for error. But again, Thai ADSL is NOT set so that your modem will connect at the max speed that the line will allow, but rather the speed that you paid for.

The main misconception is that your phone line will affect your speed constantly, and is the main culprit when you get bad speed. This is not the case. The main culprit for the vast majority of people is the contention, either at the CO/area or at the ISP. In very very rare instances, where your phone line has marginal signal, your speed may jump around (like monty), but it's not the norm. Normally, the connection to the CO is very stable, since there's a lot of bandwidth to spare. During the 56k era, the phone line had a lot to do with your speeds, but this is the ADSL age.

Buadhai,

The Maxbet4life will certainly be more consistant in speed. It's not yet perfect, but at least perfectly usable.

With the 256/128 package speeds will drop almost never under 100kbps, and will be mostly over 150kbps...

Only strange thing I have with the streamguys test now, it starts downloading at 400kbps, and halfway through it gets stuck, then picks up again to give an end result of around 200kbps and a very low QOS.

This however never happens with a real-life download, which almost always comes in at around 50kBps (=400kbps)

Surfing is consistently faster then on the Maxnet4home, and until now I haven't had any complete useless periods!

If you can wait a couple more days, a friend of mine will "downgrade" to the 256/128 Maxnet4life when he comes back from Europe tomorrow.

I'll post the results when he is hooked up to the new package...

Cheers :o

I am getting TOT now. What's the deal with that MaxNet thing ? link ?

I'm not sure what your question is. There is another thread (now closed) which explores all the issues.

Basically, TT&T is offering Internet service under the brand name MaxNet. There are several levels of service. Many of us signed up for the MaxNet4Home 512/256 service at about 790 baht per month. It was very fast at first, but as more users signed on and as TT&T pulled the old bait-and-switch trick on us, the service has degraded to the point of being no better than dial-up. The MaxNet4Life level of service seems to have better International bandwidth. Some of us have switched, some of us are thinking about it.

TT&T Broadband (MaxNet)

I am getting TOT now. What's the deal with that MaxNet thing ? link ?

I'm not sure what your question is. There is another thread (now closed) which explores all the issues.

Basically, TT&T is offering Internet service under the brand name MaxNet. There are several levels of service. Many of us signed up for the MaxNet4Home 512/256 service at about 790 baht per month. It was very fast at first, but as more users signed on and as TT&T pulled the old bait-and-switch trick on us, the service has degraded to the point of being no better than dial-up. The MaxNet4Life level of service seems to have better International bandwidth. Some of us have switched, some of us are thinking about it.

TT&T Broadband (MaxNet)

Seems like another scam from them. How long before they switch you again to low speed ? :o

Thanks for the link

Edited by Butterfly