The Most Common Transliteration?

TravelTeach

Hi folks,

I'm writing a small article on a few neighborhoods in Bangkok and want to get the transliteration just right. I'm going with "Khao San Road" for the first but would like to know why some people are writing it as "Kaoh Sarn Road" and if it makes a huge difference?

The other is much more frustrating: Phra Athit. I'm going with that spelling unless otherwise convinced, but I've seen Pra Athit and Phra Arthit more than a few times. Even on these forums a search has come up with quite a few versions! :)

I understand Thai doesn't have a universally accepted transliteration system, but what do you think might be the best?

Thanks!

TT

My advice:

Khao San Road

Phra Athit Road

Avoid the others.

I'm writing a small article on a few neighborhoods in Bangkok and want to get the transliteration just right. I'm going with "Khao San Road" for the first but would like to know why some people are writing it as "Kaoh Sarn Road" and if it makes a huge difference?

It does not make a huge difference, but in my view it is best that you use the same romanization that is seen on the road signs, because this is the only thing approaching a standard that is available. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_General_System_of_Transcription )

Some would write 'sarn' to indicate a long vowel. This works reasonably well for people from Southern England (except the South-West), Australia, South Africa and New Zealand (except those from around Invercargill). It does not work well for anyone else, as they will want to pronounce the 'r' which creates a sound that does not exist in Thai.

Another option would be to write it 'sahn' or 'saan' to indicate the long vowel, but since the pronunciation will not be perfect anyway, just use RTGS.

Pra Athit vs. Phra Athit

The second one is more consistent and follows RTGS. The function of the 'h' after a consonant is to show the consonant sound is aspirated. So if you for some reason want to use the first spelling, 'pra' then it follows that the second word should be spelt 'atit', too, as the 'h' in that word is there for the same reason.

'Arthit' - here we see an attempt by a Southern Englishman, Australian, New Zealander (but likely not Invercargillian) or South African to show that the first vowel sound in the word should be long. Don't use it, is my advice.