Thailand Anti-Corruption Expo 2010

webfact

NACC to launch corruption awareness

By The Nation

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) will next month kick off a graft awareness campaign coinciding with its hosting of the 14th International Anti-Corruption Conference in Bangkok.

"Thailand Anti-Corruption Expo 2010 marks the 'Year of Transparency', signifying efforts and strategies to root out fraud," NACC member Panthep Klanarongran said yesterday.

The meeting on the theme of "Restoring trust: Global action for transparency" as well as an exhibition is expected to bring together more than 1,000 graft busters at Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre from November 10-13.

NACC member Pakdee Pothisiri called on the government to make the fight against corruption a national priority. He said the NACC presently has to work with inadequate budget and poor cooperation on graft probes from government agencies.

"If corruption suppression is declared a national agenda item, then every agency has to render assistance and resources to probe graft offences," he said.

The NACC got more cooperation and leads on suspicious practices from the private sector than government agencies, he said.

The prime minister must take the lead and make a clear commitment to spearhead the anti-corruption drive, otherwise his subordinates will dither in the face of irregularities plaguing the country, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-28

“The NACC got more cooperation and leads on suspicious practices from the private sector than government agencies, he said.”

What a surprise that is; next, he’ll say that there is more cooperation and support for democracy from voters than from politicians.

Thailand hosting of the 14th International Anti-Corruption Conference in Bangkok is a bit like a AA meeting in a brewery :jap:

(No offense to AA members intended)

Thailand, Hub of Oxymorons :lol:

Anti-Corruption Conference hosted by Thai Plice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thailand hosting of the 14th International Anti-Corruption Conference in Bangkok is a bit like a AA meeting in a brewery :jap:

(No offense to AA members intended)

Thailand, Hub of Oxymorons :lol:

Anti-Corruption Conference hosted by Thai Plice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

April fool comes early.

wot's to worry? in the annual Corruption Perceptions Index Thailand always does better than than several countries, for example, Somalia, Afghanistan, Myranama.

even went up a point to 35% this year --- giddyUP Yahooo

want some insightful, Intelligent, observant, experienced thoughts on the subject of Corruption and its effects?

as follows...........

OTTAWA - The No. 1 recipient of Canadian taxpayers' foreign-aid dollars is the second-most corrupt country in the world, a new report says.

Afghanistan tied with the military dictatorship in Myanmar as the second-most corrupt country on the planet, according to the yearly audit by the Berlin-based group Transparency International. Somalia won the dubious distinction as most corrupt on the organization's annual Corruption Perceptions Index.

"Unstable governments with a history of conflict continue to dominate the bottom rungs of the (index)," said Huguette Labelle, the organization's chair.

"Corruption nourishes poverty, it seeds violence, it destabilizes countries," added Labelle, a retired federal public servant who once headed the Canadian International Development Agency.

Fighting corruption needs to be made a central element of poverty reduction, she said.

Labelle said three-quarters of the world's countries have a serious problem with corruption, including members of the G20, which is trying to guide recovery from the global economic crisis.

"With governments committing huge funds for the world's most pressing problems, including the stabilization of financial markets, climate-change mitigation and poverty reduction, corruption remains a serious obstacle and a cause for concern," said Labelle.

"The vital issue remains enforcement, without which all the laws in the world will be of little value."

Labelle said it was good that the G20 has made a commitment to transparency ahead of its November summit in South Korea.

Corruption scores declined among a number of higher-income countries "rattled by the financial crisis," she said.

The United States was singled out for its decline to 22nd from 19th place, while Italy and Greece also fell, to 67th and 78th respectively.

The corruption assessment is a composite index that drew upon 13 different expert and business surveys from January 2009 to September 2010. It measures the "abuse of entrusted power for private gain" in the public sectors of countries.

The index assigns countries a rating from 0 to 10. The highest marks went to the three first-place finishers — Denmark, New Zealand and Singapore — each of which scored 9.3.

Finland and Sweden each scored 9.2 and Canada 8.9, a statistically insignificant jump from the 8.7 it scored on the 2009 survey that allowed it to climb two rungs in this year's ranking.

as I keep saying Class distinction is not the BIG problem, Corruption is. people can live with sports heroes, entertainment idols and royals, and yes captains of industry, it's the CHEATS that should be put in a big hole...

Edited by yellow1red1

wot's to worry? in the annual Corruption Perceptions Index Thailand always does better than than several countries, for example, Somalia, Afghanistan, Myranama.

even went up a point to 35% this year --- giddyUP Yahooo

want some insightful, Intelligent, observant, experienced thoughts on the subject of Corruption and its effects?

as follows...........

OTTAWA - The No. 1 recipient of Canadian taxpayers' foreign-aid dollars is the second-most corrupt country in the world, a new report says.

Afghanistan tied with the military dictatorship in Myanmar as the second-most corrupt country on the planet, according to the yearly audit by the Berlin-based group Transparency International. Somalia won the dubious distinction as most corrupt on the organization's annual Corruption Perceptions Index.

"Unstable governments with a history of conflict continue to dominate the bottom rungs of the (index)," said Huguette Labelle, the organization's chair.

"Corruption nourishes poverty, it seeds violence, it destabilizes countries," added Labelle, a retired federal public servant who once headed the Canadian International Development Agency.

Fighting corruption needs to be made a central element of poverty reduction, she said.

Labelle said three-quarters of the world's countries have a serious problem with corruption, including members of the G20, which is trying to guide recovery from the global economic crisis.

"With governments committing huge funds for the world's most pressing problems, including the stabilization of financial markets, climate-change mitigation and poverty reduction, corruption remains a serious obstacle and a cause for concern," said Labelle.

"The vital issue remains enforcement, without which all the laws in the world will be of little value."

Labelle said it was good that the G20 has made a commitment to transparency ahead of its November summit in South Korea.

Corruption scores declined among a number of higher-income countries "rattled by the financial crisis," she said.

The United States was singled out for its decline to 22nd from 19th place, while Italy and Greece also fell, to 67th and 78th respectively.

The corruption assessment is a composite index that drew upon 13 different expert and business surveys from January 2009 to September 2010. It measures the "abuse of entrusted power for private gain" in the public sectors of countries.

The index assigns countries a rating from 0 to 10. The highest marks went to the three first-place finishers — Denmark, New Zealand and Singapore — each of which scored 9.3.

Finland and Sweden each scored 9.2 and Canada 8.9, a statistically insignificant jump from the 8.7 it scored on the 2009 survey that allowed it to climb two rungs in this year's ranking.

as I keep saying Class distinction is not the BIG problem, Corruption is. people can live with sports heroes, entertainment idols and royals, and yes captains of industry, it's the CHEATS that should be put in a big hole...

AND every country at the bottom of the corruption index has a twisted twin sister,,, NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH

Xxxx xxx Xxxx!

I just shot my afternoon tea out of my nose and all over my notebook when I read that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What's next, Thailand to rid itself of prostitution?

Without prostitution Thailand's tourist business would surely die.

This expo in Thailand is just mind boggling. Do any of the anticipated participants have a clue a/b Thailand? Again more people playing "make believe/pretend."

LOL Ah amusing Thailand where there are few if any sanctions and scams are plentiful.

These whit knights should come to see the incessant and flourishing racket of Pattaya's police in every bars since 2 months ! On Soi 6 only (over the 3 000 they take every month and sometime more) at the Mandarin : 200 000, at Soho Bar : 400 000 at "0" Bar 100 000 at Full Moon Bar 60 000 at My friend bar 12 000 (music was copies of CD's ! ha ha ha ! what a joke)... And more, the list is boring... And also, yesterday evening, all the motorbike-shop selling and making food (thai people) stopped and fined for 300 baths with rudes words and actions in the SS way... Police of Pattaya is not well pay they said, but is it a reason to fleece everybody like the nazis with jews in the black years ? Thailand want to save the face to the world but will never ever stop corruption because they are all biting into the cake...

Did any of you even read the article. Granted it comes from the Nation and the truth can be different that what the article says.

But if you would take the time to read it you would have noticed it did not say Thailand was corruption free.

I really liked this gem selftaopath posted.

This expo in Thailand is just mind boggling. Do any of the anticipated participants have a clue about Thailand? Again more people playing "make believe/pretend."

LOL Ah amusing Thailand where there are few if any sanctions and scams are plentiful.

Says a lot about him and what he thinks of Thailand. wonder if he ever gets out of the red light district.

On transparency International they ranked 178 countries in the world for corruption. Thailand came in number 78 That means There is 100 more corrupt countries than Thailand. Kind of makes one wonder if you poster's really know what is going on in the world. If it was as bad as you would like every one to think you might want to step back and ask your self why you are here.

Unless you are like selftaopath and he pretty well made his thinking clear.

The NACC is such an easy target for humour - anyone know what the annual budget is? And how much of it is accounted for? Holding an "Expo" is a great way to use up some funds. So bizarre that you couldn't make it up......

Amusing Thailand

I just shot my afternoon tea out of my nose and all over my notebook when I read that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This expo in Thailand is just mind boggling. Do any of the anticipated participants have a clue a/b Thailand? Again more people playing "make believe/pretend."

Well maybe you and your like wouldn't come here. Maybe we'd be rid of the 'mafia' on places like Phuket and Pattaya. Maybe, just maybe, the Thais would have to do a bit of research as to how to preserve their once beautiful environment and come up with something other than selling their daughters to old farang like you.

And maybe offer something other than hastily thrown up 'boom boom' bars as an alternative to the large majority of what passes for 'entertainment' here. Ever take a look at the 'Entertainment Section' of the BKP?

This is a beautiful country with possibly the worst 'mindset' on how to keep it that way. You old guys are dinosaurs and will soon be gone. And the younger ones, they're either more savvy or just plain 'dying'.

ps Not 'off topic', corruption and prostitution, along with gambling (apparently illegal here ...) go hand in hand.

Edited by inmysights

Not only that - without prostitution, a lot of foreign investment would die.

Anyone thinking that the availability of sex in this country does not have any bearing on the decisions of businessmen bringing business into Thailand is deluded.

I know a lot of Japanese businessmen. They like the sex in Philippines but don't feel safe there. The combination of sex and safety in Thailand is one of the drivers behind them investing so heavily here.

Thailand IS the pussy economy.

Did any of you even read the article. Granted it comes from the Nation and the truth can be different that what the article says.

But if you would take the time to read it you would have noticed it did not say Thailand was corruption free.

On transparency International they ranked 178 countries in the world for corruption. Thailand came in number 78 That means There is 100 more corrupt countries than Thailand. Kind of makes one wonder if you poster's really know what is going on in the world. If it was as bad as you would like every one to think you might want to step back and ask your self why you are here.

How does 100 worse countries make Thailand's 3.5 out of 10 "not so bad"?

Uganda, Syria, Azerbajain have 50 countries below them. 'not so bad'???

Though I do wonder how anyone raised in the West can stand the stink of corruption and the tieing of the tongue and adoration of Thainess.

http://transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2010/results#table

It's only when the scores start into 6, 7 and up do i see countries worth choosing to live,,, personally.

very comfortable with my top 10 , as Elvis would say, Thag U berry mulch...

I would love NO LOVE to see Thailand free of corruption and open to free speech

hope springs Etheral!

right now it is """ not so good """"

I think your sights need to be adjusted.... Anybody expat who has been here for awhile knows that 90% of the sex for sale is by Thai men, for the benefit of Thai men. From the truck drivers being serviced by the side of the road for 200 baht, to the high so elites being serviced by girls in high rise massage parlors in Rachada  The mental image of the doddering old farang fool staggering back to his hotel room with a 19 year old gogo girl in tow is certainly a popular one in the eyes of the Thais, as it sort of takes away some of the heat from them when the topic of exploitation occurs.

And yes, prostitution and corruption are certainly linked together. Or as it was explained to me one time, since prostitution is illegal in Thailand, the police now have the right to shake down every bar with girls in it. I still think the sex trade shakedown is small potatoes compared to corruption in the billions of baht at the airport for example, but the sex trade shakedown is easily seen by farangs. I love sitting in a small bar beer, and then watch an off duty police man show up and collect an envelope of cash. When I ask the mamasan how much she has to pay, her eyes fly open in astonishment" why you know is police ! "......

Hate to bring out the old tired horse, but the Saudi gems scandal is an amazing look at corruption in Thailand. When the very top policemen are corrupt, there is NO way in god's green earth you are going to start reform at the bottom. Sort of sad really, as I love Thailand and plan to live here a long time. At first I thought I would open a business here, but after hearing all the stories about the police becoming your new partners as soon as you open your business, I decided not to do anything.....

I just shot my afternoon tea out of my nose and all over my notebook when I read that.   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:    

This expo in Thailand is just mind boggling. Do any of the anticipated participants have a clue a/b Thailand?  Again more people playing "make believe/pretend."

Well maybe you and your like wouldn't come here. Maybe we'd be rid of the 'mafia' on places like Phuket and Pattaya. Maybe, just maybe, the Thais would have to do a bit of research as to how to preserve their once beautiful environment and come up with something other than selling their daughters to old farang like you.

And maybe offer something other than hastily thrown up 'boom boom' bars as an alternative to the large majority of what passes for 'entertainment' here. Ever take a look at the 'Entertainment Section' of the BKP?  

This is a beautiful country with possibly the worst 'mindset' on how to keep it that way. You old guys are dinosaurs and will soon be gone. And the younger ones, they're either more savvy or just plain 'dying'.

ps Not 'off topic', corruption and prostitution, along with gambling (apparently illegal here ...) go hand in hand.

How does 100 worse countries make Thailand's 3.5 out of 10 "not so bad"?

Uganda, Syria, Azerbajain have 50 countries below them. 'not so bad'???

Though I do wonder how anyone raised in the West can stand the stink of corruption and the tieing of the tongue and adoration of Thainess.

http://transparency....0/results#table

It's only when the scores start into 6, 7 and up do i see countries worth choosing to live,,, personally.

very comfortable with my top 10 , as Elvis would say, Thag U berry mulch...

I would love NO LOVE to see Thailand free of corruption and open to free speech

hope springs Etheral!

right now it is """ not so good """"

Why are you here you have nothing good to say for Thailand. You are pushing and shoving to get to the head of the line when it comes to condemning Thailand. If they do one thing good you find fault. What is your agenda? Are you a red shirt in the closet?