Shingles Inoculation With Zostavax

thai thai

I just got back from the states and heard some pretty hairy stories about shingles outbreaks in older people. I have emailed Bumrungrad and BNH hospitals with an inquiry, but have heard nothing so far.

Is the Zoztavax inoculation for shingles prevention available in LOS...?

I know Thailand claims to be 'cutting edge' with it's up-to-date medical care and supposedly better value for money...so, does anybody know if the Zostavax inoculation for Shingles prevention is available in LOS...?

Thanks,

Cheers

Edited by thai thai

I haven't heard of it being here yet and it is not listed as approved for use in Thailand.

Was only licensed in the US a little more than a year ago. I expect it'll get here in the next year or two.

Not sure where you've seen claims to be "cutting edge" but that would certainly be over the top. Adequately up to date re generally accepted treatments yes; cutting edge, no.

I checked w Bumrungrad about 6 months ago. They didn't have the vaccine. I got the vaccine in the US this year. It's expensive. I believe 500 US. Insurance paid about 40%. Note that the vaccine must be kept at all tines at a constant temperature or at least below a certain temp -- constantly refrigerated otherwise it is useless. If u are going to get the vaccine be sure to inquire about that requirement.

Why are you worried about shingles?

Oh, well. First things first: You ONLY get shingles if you previously had a case of chicken pox. So, if you were lucky enough to avoid the pox as a kid, then you will not get shingles.

Secondly, the vaccine is quite expensive and only recommended for people over 60.

One segment of people who are really concerned about shingles (herpes zoster) are those with HIV/AIDS or other immune problems. Sorry. Zostavax is a live virus vaccine so people with immune problems can't use it.

All I can say if you have ever had an outbreak of Shingles you will be the first one in line for the inoculation, no matter what it costs

To the poster who stated that if you did not have Chicken pox as a child then you have nothing to worry about, true, if you are POSITIVE that you did not have it as a child. Some cases are so mild that they are missed in children

gregswim is a little on the high end

Typical costs:

* For patients not covered by health insurance, the cost of a shingles vaccination typically includes: a shot administration fee and the cost of the single required dose of vaccine and in some cases (if your own doctor does not offer the shingles vaccination and you are unable to get it during a routine doctor visit) a doctor visit or consultation fee, for a total of about $200 to $250. For example, The Shot Nurse, a mobile vaccination service in Tennessee, charges $205. Walgreens' Take Care Clinics charge about $220.

* All Medicare Part D plans cover the shingles vaccine, as do many private health insurance plans. For patients covered by health insurance, typical expenses include a doctor visit copay and, in some cases, a copay for the vaccine. For example, under a North Carolina health plan for state employees, patients pay a doctor-visit copay, but the vaccine is covered 100 percent.

*source

http://www.costhelper.com/cost/health/shingles-vaccine.html

Oh, well. First things first: You ONLY get shingles if you previously had a case of chicken pox. So, if you were lucky enough to avoid the pox as a kid, then you will not get shingles.

Secondly, the vaccine is quite expensive and only recommended for people over 60.

One segment of people who are really concerned about shingles (herpes zoster) are those with HIV/AIDS or other immune problems. Sorry. Zostavax is a live virus vaccine so people with immune problems can't use it.

I find the question a bit odd. How do you know the poster isn't 60 or older?

And it is a rare person that age (or even for that half that age) who has not had chickenpox, since the vaccine against it was only developed about 25 years back.

As to effectiveness see http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/QuestionsaboutVaccines/UCM070418

On average it reduces the risk of shingles by half, but a bit better than that if given before the age of 70. And, in people who nonetheless develop shingles, the pain and severity is reduced.

Anyone who has had shingles will tell you this is well worth it. The pain is excrutiating and the drugs used to shorten the duration are also very costly.

While it is recommended for persons 60 and over, it is still effective if given earlier. the reason for the 60 year recommendation is that it is a costly vaccine and shingles most often occurs after age 60...though I know some people who got it in their early 50's. (And no, they were not immunosuppressed). I'm 58 and plan on getting it as soon as its available here. That kind of pain, I don't need.

BTW most people living with HIV these days are not immunosuppressed, thanks to the medications now available. Many have completely normal CD4 counts and minimal or undetectable viral levels. Such people may well be able to get the vaccine although they should of course check with their doctor first.

Thanks to Sheryl for your info on availability of Zostavax in Thailand. As for Igor's comment: the OP (me) has had chicken pox as a youth, and I am 61 years old (I mean come dude...who else would have a picture from 1967 of Jerry Garcia in his avatar). My father who is 86 has had several difficult bouts with shingles over the years and he was the one who urged me just last week to get the vaccine. Coincidently, a good friend of mine here in Bkk (62 yrs old) just came back from a 3 month trip to the UK (last week) with the story of his first boody attack of shingles...said it was/is horrible.

Edited by thai thai

• 3 months later...

Thanks to Sheryl for your info on availability of Zostavax in Thailand. As for Igor's comment: the OP (me) has had chicken pox as a youth, and I am 61 years old (I mean come dude...who else would have a picture from 1967 of Jerry Garcia in his avatar). My father who is 86 has had several difficult bouts with shingles over the years and he was the one who urged me just last week to get the vaccine. Coincidently, a good friend of mine here in Bkk (62 yrs old) just came back from a 3 month trip to the UK (last week) with the story of his first boody attack of shingles...said it was/is horrible.

I wish I would have known about Zostavax....too late now :(

I was diagnosed having shingles/herpes zoster 5 days ago and can only confirm it's hell....:crying:...the pain is just unbelievable. It's like your skin is on fire or someone is putting thousands of small needles in your body.

I'm taking a 7 day anti-virus treatment of Valaciclovir with 3 x 2 tablets of 500mg daily.

Next to that I take Tramadol HCI retard painkillers 3 x 50mg/daily but they don't help enough against the pain so I take 3 x 600mg Iboprufen extra (with knowledge of my doctor).

After 1-2 hours the pain is decreasing but the Tramadol makes you sleepy (can't drive).

In the morning around 05.00AM the pain is waking me up and I'm just waiting for the time I can take my next tablets.

It's horrible, but the positive thing is that I won't get it again; it's a sleeping virus which has a break out after your body is weak and that was no surprise to me, spending 7 times in hospital the past 3 years with lots of Antibiotics and other nasty stuff.

What a world...:whistling:

LaoPo

LaoPo, truly my deepest sympathies as one who knows. I was in Germany when I got it and the doctor there gave me methadone for the pain. Unfortunately the box was in German and I did not have a clue as to what sub-lingual meant (FYI, it means the drug is to be placed under your tongue for slow release) until a German speaking friend came over and read the box for me

The only thing that gave me any relief was Capsaicin Cream, which is made from chili peppers. Unfortunately I don't know if is available here in Thailand

The best of luck

LaoPo, truly my deepest sympathies as one who knows. I was in Germany when I got it and the doctor there gave me methadone for the pain. Unfortunately the box was in German and I did not have a clue as to what sub-lingual meant (FYI, it means the drug is to be placed under your tongue for slow release) until a German speaking friend came over and read the box for me

The only thing that gave me any relief was Capsaicin Cream, which is made from chili peppers. Unfortunately I don't know if is available here in Thailand

The best of luck

Thanks for your thoughts; much appreciated! I forgot to mention that I also use white Zinc Cream and I suppose it's something similar as Capsaicin Cream. I will phone the pharmacy later (I'm not in Thailand) and ask them if I should use the Capsaicin cream (just read about it)..

Methadone: I checked it and it belongs to the same group of strong painkillers, more or less, as the Tramadol I was described.

Just took my medication since the pain is now excruciating again but will go down a bit in an hour or so...I hope :(

Cheers

LaoPo

I went to the US on vacation two years ago. Since Zostavax was not available in Thailand, and no one knew when it would be available, I made plans to get vaccinated in the US. Without insurance, it cost about $175 and, from reading various tales of shingles-related woe, it was worth every penny.

I went to the US on vacation two years ago. Since Zostavax was not available in Thailand, and no one knew when it would be available, I made plans to get vaccinated in the US. Without insurance, it cost about $175 and, from reading various tales of shingles-related woe, it was worth every penny.

Good for you and I'm jealous; I wish I would have known about it but to be fair, I never thought, even for a single moment, about Shingles/herpes zoster, what it was and how painful it could be. :(

LaoPo

When I first read the posts I wondered what all the fuss was about. I had what the doctor said was shingles in my early thirties and although it was painful I managed to keep working. I had been keep very busy at work introducing new working practices, getting rid of dead wood and interviewing job applicants and the doctor thought that the attack had been brought on by 'nerves', read stress. I had a rash around my waist and the treatment was to be sprayed to seal off the rash, and some sort of vitamin injection. This was repeated three days later.

After Googling and seeing some horrific pictures I now realise that I probably had something else since the rash did not follow any nerve path. My sympathy to all sufferers. I think I'd rather not have this complaint.

When I first read the posts I wondered what all the fuss was about. I had what the doctor said was shingles in my early thirties and although it was painful I managed to keep working. I had been keep very busy at work introducing new working practices, getting rid of dead wood and interviewing job applicants and the doctor thought that the attack had been brought on by 'nerves', read stress. I had a rash around my waist and the treatment was to be sprayed to seal off the rash, and some sort of vitamin injection. This was repeated three days later.

After Googling and seeing some horrific pictures I now realise that I probably had something else since the rash did not follow any nerve path. My sympathy to all sufferers. I think I'd rather not have this complaint.

I agree....my wife took some pictures and I better not post them; there are enough on Google :(

But, if I were you I would have a Zostavax injection/vaccination to prevent that you ever get herpes zoster/shingles !.

LaoPo

• 2 weeks later...

And it is a rare person that age (or even for that half that age) who has not had chickenpox, since the vaccine against it was only developed about 25 years back.

As to effectiveness see http://www.fda.gov/B...cines/UCM070418

On average it reduces the risk of shingles by half, but a bit better than that if given before the age of 70. And, in people who nonetheless develop shingles, the pain and severity is reduced.

Anyone who has had shingles will tell you this is well worth it. The pain is excrutiating and the drugs used to shorten the duration are also very costly.

While it is recommended for persons 60 and over, it is still effective if given earlier. the reason for the 60 year recommendation is that it is a costly vaccine and shingles most often occurs after age 60...though I know some people who got it in their early 50's. (And no, they were not immunosuppressed). I'm 58 and plan on getting it as soon as its available here. That kind of pain, I don't need.

BTW most people living with HIV these days are not immunosuppressed, thanks to the medications now available. Many have completely normal CD4 counts and minimal or undetectable viral levels. Such people may well be able to get the vaccine although they should of course check with their doctor first.

Would this Zostavax injection be effective against an individual that already has other types of Herpes ? i.e Cold sores and genital herpes?

As to effectiveness see http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/QuestionsaboutVaccines/UCM070418

Yes and if he is currently healthy that is the time to get it BEFORE he has any immune problems.

I was cursed to have had it when I was only 10 years old and since I was so young no one would believe me how painful and itchy it was it was quite the painful paradox, kept going to school and people kept telling me to tough it out.

My mother thought I just had heat rash under my arm pit as we had no A/C at that time especially in the schools and hotter/more humid then Thailand but as it got worse over a couple of days and I developed nasty, oozing blisters on top of blisters and had reached almost 2/3rds around my chest and back she finally took me to the doctor and he was astounded at my age and said it was the youngest case he had ever seen. A 5 day course of shots (some mention of antibiotics no idea what, but no antivirals at that point, he mentioned he wasn't really treating the shingles, but any possible infection) I had after effects too in my case Pleurisy for months afterwards and the scaring can be dreadful too like burns..

My mother asked about a new lotion at the time (no longer new) Aloe Vera lotion and if we could use it to reduce the scars and the doctor said it couldn't hurt so we tried it. He also said I would have a numbness on the skin surface that would be life long where the scars were which would have been a considerable part of my chest and back. I'm happy to report that I had a nearly 100% recovery on that aspect both with scarring and feeling with the exception of the one area under my arm pit where I was so ticklish I couldn't stand putting on the lotion anymore but I'm kinda glad to have that one small spot as it's the only way I can relate what would have been to people and it still doesn't do it..

I still have ghost feelings in the region though and some occasional irritating itching that is inexplicable with an occasional needling sensation like the painful jabs when I first had it so now I'm on my guard. I might also add that you do not have to have chicken pox as it can be passed on to your children as was the case with my boy and my nephew who also contracted it at a young age both without chicken pox previously.. Because of my episode in both cases some years later it was diagnosed very early and in my nephews case it was a very critical diagnosis as he got it in his ear and besides the potential of facial lesions and scars he might have lost his hearing too..

So any suffers out there while you're healing try some form of Aloe lotion or Aloe gel and it will significantly reduce any scaring or nerve damage..

As to effectiveness see http://www.fda.gov/B...cines/UCM070418

Yes and if he is currently healthy that is the time to get it BEFORE he has any immune problems.

I was cursed to have had it when I was only 10 years old and since I was so young no one would believe me how painful and itchy it was it was quite the painful paradox, kept going to school and people kept telling me to tough it out.

My mother thought I just had heat rash under my arm pit as we had no A/C at that time especially in the schools and hotter/more humid then Thailand but as it got worse over a couple of days and I developed nasty, oozing blisters on top of blisters and had reached almost 2/3rds around my chest and back she finally took me to the doctor and he was astounded at my age and said it was the youngest case he had ever seen. A 5 day course of shots (some mention of antibiotics no idea what, but no antivirals at that point, he mentioned he wasn't really treating the shingles, but any possible infection) I had after effects too in my case Pleurisy for months afterwards and the scaring can be dreadful too like burns..

My mother asked about a new lotion at the time (no longer new) Aloe Vera lotion and if we could use it to reduce the scars and the doctor said it couldn't hurt so we tried it. He also said I would have a numbness on the skin surface that would be life long where the scars were which would have been a considerable part of my chest and back. I'm happy to report that I had a nearly 100% recovery on that aspect both with scarring and feeling with the exception of the one area under my arm pit where I was so ticklish I couldn't stand putting on the lotion anymore but I'm kinda glad to have that one small spot as it's the only way I can relate what would have been to people and it still doesn't do it..

I still have ghost feelings in the region though and some occasional irritating itching that is inexplicable with an occasional needling sensation like the painful jabs when I first had it so now I'm on my guard. I might also add that you do not have to have chicken pox as it can be passed on to your children as was the case with my boy and my nephew who also contracted it at a young age both without chicken pox previously.. Because of my episode in both cases some years later it was diagnosed very early and in my nephews case it was a very critical diagnosis as he got it in his ear and besides the potential of facial lesions and scars he might have lost his hearing too..

So any suffers out there while you're healing try some form of Aloe lotion or Aloe gel and it will significantly reduce any scaring or nerve damage..

Thanks for the tip and I will go out tomorrow and ask a pharmacy if they have Aloe Vera lotion or gel. I will certainly try it.

My pain is a little down now, since 3 weeks, but it's not all gone yet and it returns in "waves", some more painfull than the others.

5 days ago I ordered a special oil, especially for Shingles/Herpes Zoster and at first I thought it really helped untill the pain came back; the best help to reduce* the pain so far is to apply the white zinc creme :(

* Next to the pain killers of course.

Note:

I was supplied by the pain clinic an extra painkiller: Lyrica 75mg......I went through hell in the middle of the night and started sweating so gigantic that it was unbelievable: I felt very bad for ca. 2 hours and the chemical reaction inside my body was a real nasty experience.

No more!

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Glad to help... I've not tried yet (thankfully have not had any new significant outbreaks in decades literally) but some have said that some sports creams containing Capzasine P provide some relief..

I might also add that the cooling sensation of the Aloe is a relief too if your outbreak is not in a very sensitive location in which case it is a bit uncomfortable, if it's not in a sensitive location even putting the lotion or cream in the refrigerator is good... But if you think about it that is probably a good sign as it means that your nerve endings are still active and healing instead of desensitizing..

Aloe and related creams and lotions can be found at many places even your local market may have some, if your pharmacy is clueless just about any store with a cosmetic department which has similar creams may have some..

I'll tell you what, as I'm thinking about it many years ago I purchased a product at Villa that may be very helpful in this case. I discovered years ago that these blisters want to dry out and crack open as that's how they spread and that makes them stiff and painful.

The lotion helps keep them moist and flexible so they are less painful besides the healing effect. The product I found (but have not yet tried except on similar feeling injuries such as burns) is called Fruit of the Earth Cool blue, cooling gel and contains Aloe Vera and Menthol and is for cuts, scrapes rashes and burns.. I think having had shingles before and thinking back, this product if it was available then, would do well for relief and healing, it was a bit expensive but well worth it for burns and such we've had and used it on.. It was some years ago and we still have some left so i hope they still carry it at Villa..

Understand though that the gels and such are mostly to prevent scarring and damage and only temporary relief from the actual pain which is all internal and nerve related..

Edited by WarpSpeed