National internet outage in Myanmar enters second week

News_Editor

National internet outage in Myanmar enters second week

2010-11-01 13:12:10 GMT+7 (ICT)

YANGON, MYANMAR (BNO NEWS) -- A nationwide internet service outage in Myanmar has entered its second week, but the cause remains unclear, according to a local newspaper report on Monday.

The Weekly Eleven News reported the outage on Monday, saying internet service nationwide had failed more than a week ago and has left residents and companies throughout the company without internet since.

But the Myanmar government has still not revealed what is causing the internet outage, and how long it will last, angering local residents. As a result, scores of internet cafes - many of them in Yangon - have closed their businesses until the outage has been resolved.

Hotels, airlines, media organizations and private hospitals are being affected by the outage.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-11-01

It's a shame. Anything that brings Myanmar to the public eye, first thing they do is cripple the internet. They've turned to DDoSing the service from outside now, to have it pose as an attack from objectors to the government - but on occasion they have just turned off the gateways - something i personally been "ordered" to do twice during my tenure there.

Did they just change to 3bb? That would explain it.

:D maybe TOT, my internet has been up and down like a whores draws

mad.gifUggg... My TOT, too, down AGAIN, on my first holiday (day off work) in 30 days. I discovered that a neighbor with WiFi, unencrypted, was close enough for me to connect to it... and Presto! Internet again!

Weird thing is HE is using TOT also!!! I asked TOT "Help Center" (555+) how it is TOT's "Help Center" computers show a problem in my area (again!) supposedly to be resolved at 5pm today (again!) and how is it my neighbor could connect, no problem!?!? I even gave them my neighbor's phone number!!

She said... "Well, maybe he isn't using it so much!" cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

When I stopped laughing, I asked her exactly how could THAT be the situation, and of course she couldn't really say, nor did I expect her too... Un F'ing Believable.

Thailand... like America in the 1800's :Dave: (which is why I LIKE it here!) but with fast cars and occasional Internet.

Edited by Pawpcorn

It's a shame. Anything that brings Myanmar to the public eye, first thing they do is cripple the internet. They've turned to DDoSing the service from outside now, to have it pose as an attack from objectors to the government - but on occasion they have just turned off the gateways - something i personally been "ordered" to do twice during my tenure there.

honestly, what would you expect from that Junta ? they have piled up an unbelievable wealth (General SHWE's daughter, for example, received wedding presents valued $ 50.000.000 when she married TAY ZA, who owns half of the country now, for example, the Airline AIR BAGAN and virtually all petrol stations countrywide).

And of course they are scared that someone can take away their illegally obtained wealth.

I don't believe that the people in this pityful country will have a chance to improve their lives, unless there is a real Revolution. and most proabbly, it will not be a peaceful one.

But the Western governments (let alone Thailand) don't do much.......

honestly, what would you expect from that Junta ? they have piled up an unbelievable wealth (General SHWE's daughter, for example, received wedding presents valued $ 50.000.000 when she married TAY ZA, who owns half of the country now, for example, the Airline AIR BAGAN and virtually all petrol stations countrywide).

And of course they are scared that someone can take away their illegally obtained wealth.

I don't believe that the people in this pityful country will have a chance to improve their lives, unless there is a real Revolution. and most proabbly, it will not be a peaceful one.

And never will.

VERY well said, man. Evanson too!

What an Amazing coincidence it should all go down, with less than a week to the farce they dare to call 'elections', the results of which are already in print and ready to be foistered onto an uncaring world.

No gas, no oil, no care! (Well, OK, someone is sure to shoot me down. I did hear they have lots of gas off the south coast). But why did 'Mark' go over there a couple of weeks back and cosey up to these illegal, inhuman thugs?

Well, I heard he was warning them that this part of the world is NOT prepared to deal with any other major influx of refugees, following "any unrest" after the tragi-comedy 'elections' on Sunday, the 7th. I do hope for the sakes of the downtrodden and abused populace over there that this doesn't happen.

I have read 2 great definitions of civilised countries. One is how they treat their prisoners (no-one needs me to go down that Mandalay road I think), the other is how they treat their animals. For the latter, learn how elephants too young to work in logging are actually being worked to death there. Want a new little jumbo? Just trap a few in from the jungle. Really. www.theelephantsvoice.org (which is prepared here in Chiang Mai). A horrible window on their awful world!

Where IS the world's policeman when he is needed..........??????????????

As a TOT user, I have the greatest sympathy for a couple of posters; we seem to be hooked up to TOM--M for Myanmar. Speaking of Myanmar, that is what the topic is about and it's probably best if we stick to that.

There are a few other sub-forums for some of us to moan about our internet connection!

Thanks.

Election coming and the need to prevent outside interference and commentary,

especially if dirty tricks go into play.

Sadly right on schedule....

Absolutely. And how complicit are Thailand, Chine and India and the Western world in allowing this farce to go ahead.

What an Amazing coincidence it should all go down, with less than a week to the farce they dare to call 'elections', the results of which are already in print and ready to be foistered onto an uncaring world.

No gas, no oil, no care! (Well, OK, someone is sure to shoot me down. I did hear they have lots of gas off the south coast). But why did 'Mark' go over there a couple of weeks back and cosey up to these illegal, inhuman thugs?

Well, I heard he was warning them that this part of the world is NOT prepared to deal with any other major influx of refugees, following "any unrest" after the tragi-comedy 'elections' on Sunday, the 7th. I do hope for the sakes of the downtrodden and abused populace over there that this doesn't happen.

I have read 2 great definitions of civilised countries. One is how they treat their prisoners (no-one needs me to go down that Mandalay road I think), the other is how they treat their animals. For the latter, learn how elephants too young to work in logging are actually being worked to death there. Want a new little jumbo? Just trap a few in from the jungle. Really. www.theelephantsvoice.org (which is prepared here in Chiang Mai). A horrible window on their awful world!

While he was there he signed an estimated $US13Billion agreement for the development of the deep sea port of Dawei as an industrial zone.It will include industrial estates hosting petrochemicals plants, steel mills and other heavy industry. From an interview with a national newspaper on the 11th October,

"Thailand, Abhisit said, needed to diversify its development strategy and stop relying so much on heavy industry. "I don't think the people want it in their backyard," he explained"

Somebody elses, not my problem..............

While he was there he signed an estimated $US13Billion agreement for the development of the deep sea port of Dawei as an industrial zone.It will include industrial estates hosting petrochemicals plants, steel mills and other heavy industry. From an interview with a national newspaper on the 11th October,

"Thailand, Abhisit said, needed to diversify its development strategy and stop relying so much on heavy industry. "I don't think the people want it in their backyard," he explained"

Somebody elses, not my problem..............

the BIZARRE thing is that Thailand (as well as China and other countries) do not realize that they would benefit economically MUCH MORE from a FREE and DEMOCRATIC Burma, as any kind of infrastructure is virtually non-existent and investments are needed (and would be welcome then) in every sector.

Millions vote in Burma's first election in 20 years

Rangoon - Burma's military-ruled population started voting Sunday in the country's first election in 20 years, designed to introduce "discipline-flourishing democracy."

An estimated 29 million people were eligible to vote in Sunday's polls, the first since May 27, 1990.

This year's election has raised few expectations for real change in Burma, which has been under military dictatorship since 1962.

Current military supremo Senior General Than Shwe has vowed the polls will usher in a "discipline-flourishing democracy."

The military has stage-managed the run-up to the election in such a way as to assure the victory of its own proxy party, the Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP) and other establishment-friendly parties such as the National Unity Party (NUP).

Opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi is currently under house arrest, due to be released on November 13, and her Natonal Leagu for Democracy (NLD) party have boycotted the election urging heir followers not to vote.

Altogether 37 parties and 82 independents are contesting the race for 1,159 seats in three houses of parliament: upper, lower and regions/states.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-07

Is the internet back online yet? The newly elected government will want to proclaim their democratic victory to the world.

Apparently, they finished vote counting last Tuesday.

Edited by whybother