Bike Rack Wanted

MESmith

Looking for a bike rack to mount in the bed of my pickup, preferably one that doesn't require bikes to be dismantled, like the one pictured.  I just need to load up the family's bicycles to transport to bike friendly locations in the valley.

Does anyone know where to buy in Chiang Mai?

post-99758-0-78007800-1288936448_thumb.j

Thanks for the suggestion Ta22, but I was rather hoping that one of the many car accessory shops here would stock or be able to order one.  There are so many car accessory shops & I would prefer not to have to do the rounds.    

You might try the Thule shop on Hang Dong road between Hang Dong Big C and the airport mall. It's an accessory shop and they have roof racks so they probably have the full line. Look for it on the west side headed toward the mall.

I bought mine at Top Gear several years ago. It's almost exactly like your picture, minus the bed attachments and locks. I don't know if they carry them anymore but if not maybe you can find out where they had them made. If you have any trouble finding one and decide to have one made, you can borrow mine for a prototype. I wouldn't bother looking at car accessory shops, I wasted a lot of time doing that.

They really make bike life easier, not only for the back of pickup, but at home for parking and bike maintenance.

Edited by drtreelove

Cheers for the suggestions.  I have, in the meantime, found a website with instructions to make one with 1" pvc pipe, as used in the plumbing here.  This matches perfectly with my limited DIY skills, so probably give this a go.  If it's a failure, will check out Top Gear.

Cheers for the suggestions. I have, in the meantime, found a website with instructions to make one with 1" pvc pipe, as used in the plumbing here. This matches perfectly with my limited DIY skills, so probably give this a go. If it's a failure, will check out Top Gear.

That sounds good. I think you can get 1" pipe here in three different weights/wall thicknesses, you might want to go for the heavy one which I recall is called 13.5.

• 1 month later...

ME; how did your pvc rack work out? In case not, FYI, I was in Top Gear today and asked for you. She doesn't want to sell the two in use in the shop, but she will order similar one for total cost of 700 baht. Same as I paid about 4 years ago.

ME; how did your pvc rack work out?  In case not, FYI, I was in Top Gear today and asked for you.  She doesn't want to sell the two in use in the shop, but she will order similar one for total cost of 700 baht. Same as I paid about 4 years ago.

Don,  I have the pipe, I have the connecting pieces, but as usual, with umpteen projects on the go & 2 little fellas to keep tabs on, & the dogs, & the garden etc, etc, have not progressed any further, yet  :D

I'm sure I can make good use of the pvc pipe if it doesn't turn into a bike rack.  Good info to know about Top Gear.  Ta very much.