Flying To Usa

ableguy

Hi guys have to return to USA in May for a couple of weeks, have done the trip before going via UK , spent a week there but the trip back was awful layovers etc and jet lag, you guys who go to US on a regular basis can you give advice on route, cost and what you consider helpful advice

I fly united, connecting through Japan, it is not bad flight as the layover is usually less than 2 hours. The cheaper fares are the ones that usually end up something like this Bangkok>Narita>honalulu>san fran>chicago.

Im from chicago and you can get for a few dollars more Bangkok>Narita>insert your city here. Total travel time around 18 hours.

I fly united, connecting through Japan, it is not bad flight as the layover is usually less than 2 hours. The cheaper fares are the ones that usually end up something like this Bangkok>Narita>honalulu>san fran>chicago.

Im from chicago and you can get for a few dollars more Bangkok>Narita>insert your city here. Total travel time around 18 hours.

Thanks I should have added I will be going to West Coast LA or San Diego.

Without understanding your final destination, desire to accumulate FF miles, class of service, preferred alliance, dates...its challenging to offer any definitive recommendations. Assuming LAX then one-stop service via NRT seems like the best option right now. Cheapest flights May 3-17 on China Southern (via CAN ~ 36,000 THB all in), Continental (codeshare operated by UA, 38,000 THB all in). You'll pay a premium for the non-stop on TG, ~ 49,000 THB.

It is always best (least expensive) to buy as early as you can. While you might get lucky with a fare sale, the odds are like 1% of that happening.

I flew back on 01 Sept. Delta Airlines BKK-Narita-Seattle-Phoenix.

Not too bad. Normally fly into LAX, but chose Seattle this time. US Immigration seemed much nicer in Seattle than LAX.

Paid 56K baht.

Wife is flying over 02 Dec, same flight and paid 50K baht.

Last year flew United. Not bad, not great and the plane was packed like a sardine can, for me.. I will stick with Delta.

And it's getting cold over here. Wore pants and shoes for the first time in several years yesterday.

Have a nice, safe flight.

I flew back on 01 Sept. Delta Airlines BKK-Narita-Seattle-Phoenix.

Not too bad. Normally fly into LAX, but chose Seattle this time. US Immigration seemed much nicer in Seattle than LAX.

Paid 56K baht.

Wife is flying over 02 Dec, same flight and paid 50K baht.

Last year flew United. Not bad, not great and the plane was packed like a sardine can, for me.. I will stick with Delta.

And it's getting cold over here. Wore pants and shoes for the first time in several years yesterday.

Have a nice, safe flight.

Ditto on the Delta flight. I make the trek from BKK to PHX 4 times a year. LAX used to be good until Delta bought NWA and moved to a different terminal. The Seattle connection is much nicer and friendlier. 87k thb and 50k miles gets you business class both directions.

No contest - the most convenient, no-hassle way to get to the US is Thai airways direct BKK to LAX (but definitely not the cheapest). One sleeping pill after takeoff, one more mid-flight, and wake up shortly before landing. The EVA flight is good if you want cheaper, but layover in Taipei is usually 2-3 hours with absolutely nothing to do.

I agree with BillR the direct TG flight to LAX is the way to go, all of the other flights that go through Narita always leave at a horribly early time from Bangkok ( I guess to accommodate the Business traveler )

Yes and know. Its horrible to get up at 3:30 or 4 am to make the morning flights departing at approx; 7 Am - UA, 8 am ANA, 8:30 am TG. On some tickets you can use JAL to connect to UA at NRT departing at 8:15 am. But, the early departures are important as they allow for weather and equipment issues to be compensated for.

Then there is the EVA flights that depart at noon and 4:30pm connecting to TPE and onwards to LAX or SFO arrriving in the early evening. If its the final destination, its cool, but not if one has to connect.

I've done all of these routes and I find that the Star Alliance routings with UA are probably the most reliable, even though I detest UA and I now avoid transiting the USA.

The best airport to land at has been SFO by far. (Weather delays aside.) Border clearance at SFO is professional and efficient and fast. In LAX you can spend 1 hour+ waiting in line to be abused by the local officials.

Many thanks to all of you for replying it has been a big help, not sure about the comments on immigration officials stateside as I am US citizen however I have noticed customs check me out without fail whenever I return, still that is their job.