Visa For First Timer

I am under the understanding your passport will allow you 30 days... i stayed for 6 weeks in thailand and just applyed for a tourist visa. Ur travel agent can do it for u no worries.... they send ur passport off to the Thai embassy and u get it back a week later with a nice colourful stamp :o on it allowing u to stay for ur 5 weeks... plus more...(3months i beleive)

But then again... i am really a n00bie at this so someone correct me if im wrong.

Ok, as usual I will shoot off my mouth without double checking the facts, BUT here is what I remember from my own pre-first-Thai-visit research: You will get a 30 day visa automatically upon arrival in Thailand. If you want to stay longer, you can get a 60 or 90 day visa from your local Thai embassy or Consulate before your trip.

If you cannot get to a Thai Embassy or Consulate and you want to stay in the Kingdom longer than 30 days, you can legally purchase a visa extension or make a quick run to Cambodia and back to renew your 30 day visa. The Visa run will cost about 1200 baht (for a Cambodian Visa), plus transportation. If you are only going to overstay a few days, a visa extension might be cheaper and less trouble.