New English Requirement For Uk Spouse/Fiance/Partners

If the KoL test would mean not having to take this test, then it would be additional reason to take the KoL test whilst on a visit, particularly if married or together for some time as this would jump to ILE on entry I suppose instead of the two year waiting game.

This new requirement applies to those who are outside the UK and applying to enter as a partner* and to those partners* who are in the UK and wish to extend their leave by applying for FLR.

It does not apply to ILR; however, the current KOL requirement still will.

In other words:

Filling in form VAF4A as a partner*, new test required.

Filling in form FLR(M), new test required unless already passed for form VAF4A.

Filling in form SET(M), new test not required.

*Partner could be: spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner, same sex partner, fiance or proposed civil partner.

So, you're saying when my gf get's her Fiancee Visa, she'll still have to take the A1 test in the UK and that the "KOL" doesn't supercede it?

RAZZ

Basically, yes.

If an FLR applicant did not meet this new requirement when they obtained their previous visa/LTR, then they will need to do so for their FLR application.

Whether KOL is acceptable in meeting this new requirement is a point discussed at length on here before; I am still awaiting a response from the UKBA.

My feeling is that it should be, but it wont be; if you get my drift!

Basically, yes.

If an FLR applicant did not meet this new requirement when they obtained their previous visa/LTR, then they will need to do so for their FLR application.

Whether KOL is acceptable in meeting this new requirement is a point discussed at length on here before; I am still awaiting a response from the UKBA.

My feeling is that it should be, but it wont be; if you get my drift!

Oh well, it'll give her something to do I suppose...If you're allowed to take the test...ooops...I think we've been here before! :lol:

Then again...on a serious note...I haven't even looked at the terms of a Fiancee visa...any mention of "study" or only "work" and "recourse to public funds" ?

RAZZ

Whats a 'TW'?

75 posts and you don't know TW :D . Even my TW knows she is called TW lol

Anyway seriously cheers 7by7 for your often (repeated) advice and every1 else. Think going at it from the ESOL(with citizenship) and possibly then the KOL route(if fail ESOL gives a backup option) is best way for us.

But can see the bar is being raised for foreign spouses with the new A1 test. I heard places like Canada want degrees so where will it end hey :(.

Whats a 'TW'?

75 posts and you don't know TW :D . Even my TW knows she is called TW lol

I think my wife would be rather upset if I refered to her as 'My TW' or My Thai wife. Then again, she hates all that mail order shit that her compatriots are referred to as.

At last a list of Test Centres.

http://www.vfs-uk-th..._A1_Testing.pdf

Not sure what they actually "do" because as far as I'm aware they just let the applicant sit a "test" the transcript of which is then sent away to be marked?

I may be wrong here...maybe they mark it?

RAZZ

The test centres in Thailand do not mark the tests. The tests are sent, electronically, to the UKBA approved provider in the UK for marking.

The list link provided by RAZZ is not up to date. English Test Centres have now been approved as testers in Thailand on behalf of Mont Rose College of Management and Sciences ( an approved UKBA provider ). English Test Centre operate tests and Pre-tests in Pattaya and Bangkok. Full details and contact numbers, etc are to be found on our own website, under A1 tests : www.visas-plus.com

Unfortunate, we are unable to give you the exact information regarding to attend the test in the UK whilst she is in the UK.

And this piece of ungrammatical nonsense comes from an agency supposed to test a person's level of competency in the English language???

Whilst I also dislike the term 'Thai Wife' and it's variations, please remember that this topic is about the new English tests.

If anyone wishes to continue the discussion on the use of such terms, please start a topic elsewhere.

Not sure what they actually "do" because as far as I'm aware they just let the applicant sit a "test" the transcript of which is then sent away to be marked?

RAZZ

The test centres in Thailand do not mark the tests. The tests are sent, electronically, to the UKBA approved provider in the UK for marking.

I am sorry, that is incorrect information. Not all tests are sent electronically to the UK provider. Your particular test may well be but others do not follow that procedure. Also, tests are not all marked in the UK.

Please post that is your centres procedure but do not assume all other centres offering a plethora of acceptable tests follow the same procedure.

Unfortunate, we are unable to give you the exact information regarding to attend the test in the UK whilst she is in the UK.

And this piece of ungrammatical nonsense comes from an agency supposed to test a person's level of competency in the English language???

Too true, though that sentence is well above a1 standard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

RAZZ

I am sorry, that is incorrect information. Not all tests are sent electronically to the UK provider. Your particular test may well be but others do not follow that procedure. Also, tests are not all marked in the UK.

Please post that is your centres procedure but do not assume all other centres offering a plethora of acceptable tests follow the same procedure.

You may well be right with your information, and if so, I apologise. I only have experience of two of recommended test centres, and both send their tests to the UK for marking. I have wrongly assumed that, in view of the potential for fraud in the tests, all of the providers would ensure that there are checks and balances. Exactly how many approved centres are there in Thailand ? The link provided by RAZZ shows only 4 or 5. Surely a plethora of acceptable tests is not needed, as only two elements of the A1 level CEFR test are acceptable to UKBA, and a certificate indicating a pass only from one of the approved providers is required ( although that provider could be anywhere in the world, of course ) ?

However, let's get this straight, again. They are not my tests, nor are they my test procedures. Visas Plus does not do tests or Pre-tests. Our website carries a link to an approved tester who does the tests.

You may well be right with your information, and if so, I apologise. I only have experience of two of recommended test centres, and both send their tests to the UK for marking. I have wrongly assumed that, in view of the potential for fraud in the tests, all of the providers would ensure that there are checks and balances. Exactly how many approved centres are there in Thailand ? The link provided by RAZZ shows only 4 or 5. Surely a plethora of acceptable tests is not needed, as only two elements of the A1 level CEFR test are acceptable to UKBA, and a certificate indicating a pass only from one of the approved providers is required ( although that provider could be anywhere in the world, of course ) ?

However, let's get this straight, again. They are not my tests, nor are they my test procedures. Visas Plus does not do tests or Pre-tests. Our website carries a link to an approved tester who does the tests.

Thank you for your answers. I know you've been given a bit of stick by some posters...But everyone has to make a living :D

I was talking to my brother (who actually runs a training company in the UK)...apparently the validation process goes "something" like this.

A UK company is validated to teach/mark/test C&G's, NVQ's...Language Tests etc etc etc.

They form a "partnership" with a foreign company who become a "subsidiary" under them (for want of a better phrase). This company must have some but not all the relevant experience or qualifications. But in essence they "piggy-back" on the UK company's knowledge and skillset.

The company in Thailand is in essence a "validated test centre" via the UK company's experience.

Is this correct?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Thank you for your answers. I know you've been given a bit of stick by some posters...But everyone has to make a living :D

I was talking to my brother (who actually runs a training company in the UK)...apparently the validation process goes "something" like this.

A UK company is validated to teach/mark/test C&G's, NVQ's...Language Tests etc etc etc.

They form a "partnership" with a foreign company who become a "subsidiary" under them (for want of a better phrase). This company must have some but not all the relevant experience or qualifications. But in essence they "piggy-back" on the UK company's knowledge and skillset.

The company in Thailand is in essence a "validated test centre" via the UK company's experience.

Is this correct?

RAZZ

I think you are probably right. My understanding was that this test process would be as honest as it could be, and that would be achieved by taking local " marking " of the test away from the local " subsidiary ". If UKBA allow the test to be marked locally, then there is obviously room for abuse, thus making the whole process pretty pointless.

There is some dispute about what would happen if a test certificate holder arrived in the UK ( with visa, of course ) and was unable to speak a word of English. My view was/is that the visa could be overturned as there had obviously been false representations employed in order to get the visa. Others' view is that the provenance of the certificate cannot be tested on arrival in the UK. That may well be so, but seems nonsensical to me. It may well be that more checks will be put in place at the Embassy in Bangkok if fraudulently obtained certificates start turning up. That will, of course, mean a ban of up to ten years on the applicant - not much fun if your spouse is in the UK and you are stuck in Thailand. Part of my recent work history was in the area of document fraud detection, so I'm looking forward to finding a few fake certificates !

• 1 month later...

VERY interesting and highly applicable to my circumstances. If anyone can help with the following, I'd be enormously grateful.

BACKGROUND

Thai GF and me been together for 15 years.

I have worked past 5 years in Thailand, for a huge multinational, paying stacks in taxes..all totally above board as regards work permit, visa, etc.

Thai GF and I go to UK regularly, at least evrey 3 months, sometimes every month. She now has valid 2 year multiple entry visa (just issued).

I have now quit work as (unbelievable for many I'm sure), I want to go home. I will get new work immediately.

QUESTIONS

So now Thai GF has to take A1 test. Any recommendation where in Bangkok?

As we have been together for so long, should we apply for settlement visa that gives her 2 years at first, or can we possibly jump (my understanding) straight to lndefinite leave to enter?

Thanks!!

Hi ,

My GF is currently in the UK on a Visitor Visa until Jan 2011, we are applying for a Fiancee (Settlement Visa) when she is back in thailand.

My question is as my GF is currently in the UK, can she take the A1 English Test in the UK before we go back to thailand to submit application in Jan2011.

Thanks to the info on this post I have managed to find a couple of exam centres which are accredited near where I Live (Cost of Exam Approx £120 , Provisional Date 13/12/2010).

Many Thanks

Dave

Great stuff Dave, please keep us posted how you get on, because I am interested too, my GF is on a 6 Month Holiday Visa to UK, and she is going back to Thailand on the 8 Jan, we are going for a Fiancee Visa next, and any information or tips would be fantastic. As I'm new to all of this.

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

Sorry its took so long to reply regarding my Finacees A1 English test , I've been in the LOS submitting our Settlement visa.

As originally stated in my previous posts the UKBA would not give a definative answer to whether my Finacee could take the test whilst in the UK on a Visitor Visa , there final word on the matter was:

'Please note that each subsequent application will always be assessed on its own merits. It is important to note that decision making on each application is at the discretion of an Entry Clearance Officer'

As I did not not get a definative answer, My Finacee decided to Take the test at The Academy of Oreintal Cusine In Leeds and the Good new is she Passed.

Hopefully we will now get our settlement Visa.

Cheers

Dave

Great news that she passed Dave, congratulations. And fingers crossed for your settlement application. Do keep us posted.

Just to clarify - and despite that nonsense answer from UKBA - there is absolutely nothing wrong with someone taking an exam on a visit visa. They can not undertake a course of study, but sitting an exam (English, Life in the UK etc) is perfectly fine.

Just booked the Mrs in to do the UKBA approved Elementry English Test (EET) with Language Solutions Ltd. The test is taking place this Saturday (29th Jan). The test will be at 'The Connecion' which is located at Lad Phrao MRT Station (Exit 4, can't miss it). The test is 6,500 bt and I believe they still have places available so anyone looking to get their partner though this test asap can contact Mr James Beere on 0844348080. There is also a sample test to try on the language Solutions company website.

Just booked the Mrs in to do the UKBA approved Elementry English Test (EET) with Language Solutions Ltd. The test is taking place this Saturday (29th Jan). The test will be at 'The Connecion' which is located at Lad Phrao MRT Station (Exit 4, can't miss it). The test is 6,500 bt and I believe they still have places available so anyone looking to get their partner though this test asap can contact Mr James Beere on 0844348080. There is also a sample test to try on the language Solutions company website.

A quick update on Language Solutions UKBA approved Elementry English Test (EET). The Mrs went and sat the test yesterday, I accompanied her. I was very impressed with the set up and team. Basically it was Mr James Beere and his wife, taking care of everything, there were 16-18 people sitting the test and everyone was made to feel very welcome & relaxed by the Language Solutions team. I believe they do these tests once a month in Bangkok, (at the location linked the my previous post) the next one being torwards the end of Feb. The Mrs left very happy & confident of passing....fingers crossed.

Highly reccommended.

Just a point of interest.

the format for the tests, are they scaled down to Listening and Speaking, or do they have to do the Reading and Writing elements too.

Looking at the various test boards they only detail full tests, I know they all seem to break down the seprate score for the diferent elements so a score for listening and speaking is separate but looking at the cost of over £100 for the test maybe their is unnecessary cost and unnecessary worry for the test candidate.

Just a point of interest.

the format for the tests, are they scaled down to Listening and Speaking, or do they have to do the Reading and Writing elements too.

Looking at the various test boards they only detail full tests, I know they all seem to break down the seprate score for the diferent elements so a score for listening and speaking is separate but looking at the cost of over £100 for the test maybe their is unnecessary cost and unnecessary worry for the test candidate.

Nobody should have to take Reading and Writing elements just to get at the bits of the test they need.

For a fairly realistic sample of the A1 Speaking & Listening test, try this:-

http://www.emduk.com/pbs/a1_sample_test.php

Fast-forward the first three minutes of the first video, which is training waffle for the test presenters.

!

A quick update on Language Solutions UKBA approved Elementry English Test (EET). The Mrs went and sat the test yesterday, I accompanied her. I was very impressed with the set up and team. Basically it was Mr James Beere and his wife, taking care of everything, there were 16-18 people sitting the test and everyone was made to feel very welcome & relaxed by the Language Solutions team. I believe they do these tests once a month in Bangkok, (at the location linked the my previous post) the next one being torwards the end of Feb. The Mrs left very happy & confident of passing....fingers crossed.

Highly reccommended.

Final update Re Language Solutions Ltd UKBA approved Elementry English Test (EET). As previously mentioned, the wife took this test on 29th January. We received a call the following Wednesday (2nd Feb) telling her that she had passed and her certificate was ready for collection (or posting). We then picked up her certificate the next day. So from sitting the test to having the certificate in hand took only 5 days!! (we did not pay extra for any express service etc).

The Mrs scored 100% in all 5 sections of the test :D

Fantastic service all round from Language Solutions and their team.