Visa Options For Visiting Mother

Hi all,

My mother will be visiting in December (from Australia) and, due to flight arrangements, will be staying slightly longer that a month. What would be the appropriate visa to use in this case? Can she get a visa on arrival and get it extended here, or does she need some other kind of tourist visa and apply for that in Brisbane before she leaves?

As another question, if she got an one year O visa to visit (as my wife is Thai and have a Thai born son), is she meant to leave the country every 90 days, or get it renewed every 90 days at immigration. Leaving every 90 days would be a drag as she's getting on now! Thanks in advance!

Anything over 30 days will require either a tourist or non immigrant 'o' visa, tourist visas are valid for 60 days are free at the moment,and can be extended at local immigration office for 30 days at a cost of 1,900 baht.

Non immigrant multi entry 'o' visa are not easy to obtain and will require leaving the country every 90 days.

Edited by steve187

In Brisbane the non Imm. " O " visa is fairly easy to obtain , no harm in visiting the very friendly consulate and asking. Needs to take invitation letter from daughter in law and proof of income ( pension etc. ) however she will still have to leave the country every 90 days.

Just tell her to take her passport and a passport photo to The Royal Thai Consulate 87 ANNERLEY ROAD SOUTH BRISBANE 4102 QLD

A 60 day tourist visa is free at present there would be a fee for the non o visa and need to substantiate a reason for them giving that visa.

The tourist visa on the other hand is free and no need to provide proof of anything and gives a full 60 days in Thailand.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I'll advise her to get the 60 day tourist visa. She lives on the gold coast though and will need to make a trip there. However as I understand it, it will take up to 5 days to be issued. In this case do they post the passport and visa back to her address or will she have to get it in person?

Thanks

Retirement age is 50 and requires financial conditions be met each year and no visa entry allows more than one year stay regardless of how it is played. To get longer on visa entry requires a multi entry and exit prior to end of first year. Only extensions of stay from Immigration allow stay without leaving.

Thanks for these responses.

I found the website which sets out the requirements for the 60 day single entry tourist visa. However, what do we do about the flight details and itinerary? I have booked the ticket for her, so she will have an "e-ticket" - that is' she wont have the flight details in print form with her. Will the consulate in Brisbane accept them from me if I scan and send them? I'll be paring for the ticket on Thursday. My mother will have to go into the consulate herself and do the other paperwork.

Thanks..

Brisbane is not going to be worried about it - that is normally only required from third country nationals that they may have questions about there ability to fund there trip. But if you want to send details to them even more sure of no issue.

Brisbane is not going to be worried about it - that is normally only required from third country nationals that they may have questions about there ability to fund there trip. But if you want to send details to them even more sure of no issue.

Ok thanks, she's on a British passport, but an OZ permanent resident. I emailed the consulate so I should get a response tomorrow.