Getting Tourist Visa In Berlin Or Cairo

Hi, I am American and I am planning to go to Berlin next Jan. I have searched the forum, and found one post that says he got rejected for tourist visa in Berlin. The reason is they only issue such a visa to German citizen and residence. Did anyone have any luck in the past? If the answer is a 100% no, did anyone get the tourist visa in Cairo? I may stop over at Cairo for a couple days on the way back. Thanks, everyone.

Berlin is an embassy, the staff at an embassy is in general more strict than the staff at consulates, especially honorary consulates.

There is no reason why a tourist visa would only be available to Germans, but nationality can play a role. The nationals of a very few countries can only apply for a visa in their home country.

You can always try a Thai consulate in Germany, and could even apply by mail.

mario2008,

thanks, man. It seems chances are slim to me. I will only stay in berlin for like 5 days which are 3 week days plus weekend. Don't know whether I have enough time to apply by mail. I guess I will try my luck in Cairo. well, the one in Cairo is also embassy tho...

I just tried a few weeks ago to get a tourist visa in Berlin. They will only issue to German passports.

Visit or mail to an honorary consulate within Germany. The honorary consulate in Sttutgart came through for me no problem.

I used express post. It got there overnight. They can turn it around the same day and send back overnight if you include a return express envelope.

They are only open a few days of the week however so you should call ahead and tell them your time constraints. They are very accommodating.

I mailed application form, 2 passport pics, my passport and money.

I used express post. It got there overnight. They can turn it around the same day and send back overnight if you include a return express envelope.

They are only open a few days of the week however so you should call ahead and tell them your time constraints. They are very accommodating.

I mailed application form, 2 passport pics, my passport and money.

Thank you very much, kilt. By the way, did you remember how much is the total shipping cost? which consulate did you submit your application? Sttutgart?

just update some info for people who may need it:

talked to the staff at Thai embassy of Cairo. They issue tourist visa for non-eygpt residence, however, it takes 4 working days.

Talked to the staff at Thai consulate of Suttgart: Submit application in person, get the visa right the way. Submit it by mail, usually takes 2 weeks to get it back. I told her that I would use express services and provide postage for return, but she said they still need about 2 weeks for processing.

Did anyone get their visa in Hamburg? Will call them on Monday. Hamburg seems the cloest option in distance to Berlin. About 90-120 minutes by train.

Hamburg will do it in one day but that was 10 years ago, better give them a call.

Thanks for advise. I gave them a call, and found out they only issue visas to germans...sad. so basically, I think I am running out of options. come back with no visa, and go out of country again in 30 days :(