American Football

ChuckZ

Note that the the U.S. reverts to Standard Time this weekend so games now start at 01:00 and ~ 04:05, and Tuseday at 08:30, locally.

Ohhhh Man!!!!!!! Even more of sleepless nights Sundays into Mondays.... :o

PS - Pls don't tell me I can record the TrueVisions games aired live then... Of course I can. But I'm not watching them anyway... I always watch those on repeats at the more normal hours.

But I am watching the Raiders and the 49ers live via the Internet...either video or radio, depending on what's available. And that's not so easy to auto record... :D

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is true, while everyone knew that Romo was a key factor in the Cowboy's ability to win I think it surpised a lot of people just how big of a factor he was now that he's out. He'll be back in not too long though and provided he stays healthy the Cowboys (as much as I hate to admit it) will probably still remain the odds on favorites to win the NFC title despite the disasters of the last two weeks.

I am really not as optimistic as either you or Patsfangr on the Cowboys chances this year. Frankly, for us I think it is game over. Romo will probably miss 3 more games, and that includes a bye in the middle. The talk is that it takes 6 to 8 weeks for this bone to heal, so saying he will be back for the Redskins game is overly optimistic. He doesn't have a strong arm and his throwing motion is different. He needs all his fingers to throw accurately. If the Cowboys were in another conference then maybe they would have a chance, but the NFC East teams continue to win and win.

Romo has always made the OL line better. He slips, slides and ducks and is probably at his best when throwing on the run. Normally, defensive coaches come up with game plans trying to keep Romo in the pocket. Johnson just stands there and is not mobile. He is a sitting duck.

This all shows how important coaching is to the game. While the Pats have had similar problems, their coaching has helped give others the confidence to step it up. Wade Philips has not done the job in getting this team ready to win. How about Roy Williams and 10 other players for Belichick? Romo is untouchable.

Well, at least for me, the pressure is off this year. I expect nothing so any win will be nice.

Locally televised games this week, from the TrueVisions schedule, the times are wrong:

015: SAN DIEGO CHARGERS @ NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (27-OCT-2008)

27-ต.ค.-2551 00:00

016: N.Y. GIANTS @ PITTSBURGH STEELERS (27-OCT-2008)

27-ต.ค.-2551 03:15

should be 01:00 and 04:15.

This is true, while everyone knew that Romo was a key factor in the Cowboy's ability to win I think it surpised a lot of people just how big of a factor he was now that he's out. He'll be back in not too long though and provided he stays healthy the Cowboys (as much as I hate to admit it) will probably still remain the odds on favorites to win the NFC title despite the disasters of the last two weeks.

I am really not as optimistic as either you or Patsfangr on the Cowboys chances this year. Frankly, for us I think it is game over. Romo will probably miss 3 more games, and that includes a bye in the middle. The talk is that it takes 6 to 8 weeks for this bone to heal, so saying he will be back for the Redskins game is overly optimistic. He doesn't have a strong arm and his throwing motion is different. He needs all his fingers to throw accurately. If the Cowboys were in another conference then maybe they would have a chance, but the NFC East teams continue to win and win.

Romo has always made the OL line better. He slips, slides and ducks and is probably at his best when throwing on the run. Normally, defensive coaches come up with game plans trying to keep Romo in the pocket. Johnson just stands there and is not mobile. He is a sitting duck.

This all shows how important coaching is to the game. While the Pats have had similar problems, their coaching has helped give others the confidence to step it up. Wade Philips has not done the job in getting this team ready to win. How about Roy Williams and 10 other players for Belichick? Romo is untouchable.

Well, at least for me, the pressure is off this year. I expect nothing so any win will be nice.

The Cowboys and Patriots are very much the same with regard to their affect on their teams. Like Romo, Brady is a master at buying time after he drops back. But they go about it in very different ways.

Brady does it with quick steps to areas within, or just outside the pocket, giving him time to find his receivers (he continues to look downfield as he moves), set for a moment, and throw. I swear that it appears that Brady has some sort of radar that tells him where the pass rushers are most of the time!

Romo roams much further from the pocket, sometimes taking his eyes away from the downfield action. But he usually gets enough space to allow time to find what he needs downfield before the rush closes on him again.

In both cases, of course, as you said, the game plan for the team must change significantly without them. There's no question that Belichick is better at making adjustments than Wade Phillips. But then, who isn't? I've never thought that Phillips is the sharpest tool in the shed!

Your last sentence is exactly the way that Pats' fans have felt since the bad news came out that Brady was lost for the season. I just hope for the best in every game; and try to enjoy the "new look" that Belichick is trying to develop in time to at least get the team into the Playoffs. Basically, it's just hope for the best every week.

Of course, we Pats' fans are on pins and needles until we get some clarification on the developing story about Brady's knee. We can't breath again until we hear that full recovery is still expected in time for next season. If this is more serious than that ... well ... I don't want to think about that!

Locally televised games this week, from the TrueVisions schedule, the times are wrong:

should be 01:00 and 04:15.

The Giants @ Steelers is clearly the game of the week. It's gonna be a long, sleepless night!

I should have said that the Giants @ Steelers will clearly be the game of the day. The Colts @ the Titans on Monday night (Tuesday morning) is a huge game also. For me, the lineup will be the Patriots hosting the Rams at 1:00, via NFL Game Pass; then the Giants @ Steelers; then sleep!

I wonder why there's no Sunday night game scheduled this week? It's 13 games on Sunday afternoon; then the Monday night game.

Huge apologies, change to Standard time occurs NEXT weekend (Nov. 2). I am very sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Locally televised games this week, from the TrueVisions schedule:

Regarding no SNF this week I assume NBC wants to show something else, or has a contract for a certain amount of games and chose this week as a bye week? Thursday night games start week 10; Nov. 6 DEN at CLE.

Regarding no SNF this week I assume NBC wants to show something else, or has a contract for a certain amount of games and chose this week as a bye week? Thursday night games start week 10; Nov. 6 DEN at CLE.

World Series night game, fellas. In recent years, the NFL (and up until last season together with ESPN, who'd been broadcasting the SNF game) dropped it. NBC's just followed suit. Guess they thought they'd pass on going against a World Series game, ratings-wise.

Also used to be that the Series opened on a weekend. And if it went seven games, Game 7 would normally be on a Sunday night. I would think there have been some Game 7s played opposite a SNF game. It might even be that possibly in the past the league dropped the SNF game for what would have been the second weekend of a Series? Of course, there's no guarantee of a Series going seven. But for most recent seasons, they have dropped a SNF game because of the series.

Anyway, now the World Series covers only a single weekend, so both sports can get their TV plans pretty much solidified.

I like 'em both, I can go without SNF for a World Series game.

BUT, all that said, this week the MNF game (Colts-Ravens) will be airing against World Series Game 5. Fortunately, or unfortunately maybe, I am not going to be in a position to make a choice.

Go Rays!

Edited by rwilem

The Cowboys and Patriots are very much the same with regard to their affect on their teams. Like Romo, Brady is a master at buying time after he drops back. But they go about it in very different ways.

Brady does it with quick steps to areas within, or just outside the pocket, giving him time to find his receivers (he continues to look downfield as he moves), set for a moment, and throw. I swear that it appears that Brady has some sort of radar that tells him where the pass rushers are most of the time!

Romo roams much further from the pocket, sometimes taking his eyes away from the downfield action. But he usually gets enough space to allow time to find what he needs downfield before the rush closes on him again.

In both cases, of course, as you said, the game plan for the team must change significantly without them. There's no question that Belichick is better at making adjustments than Wade Phillips. But then, who isn't? I've never thought that Phillips is the sharpest tool in the shed!

Your last sentence is exactly the way that Pats' fans have felt since the bad news came out that Brady was lost for the season. I just hope for the best in every game; and try to enjoy the "new look" that Belichick is trying to develop in time to at least get the team into the Playoffs. Basically, it's just hope for the best every week.

Of course, we Pats' fans are on pins and needles until we get some clarification on the developing story about Brady's knee. We can't breath again until we hear that full recovery is still expected in time for next season. If this is more serious than that ... well ... I don't want to think about that!

Everybody hopes that Brady recovers just as everyone hopes that Tiger recovers. These are two great athletes that are fun to watch (but not play against). Brady does seem to be having some problems, and changed doctors away from the team physicians.

The situation with the Cowboy coaching is that Wade Phillips despite being head coach, has nothing to do with the offense. Jarrett is the head coach of offense (they call it something else, but he is paid as high as some head coaches). Too date, we all thought Jarrett was genius, but now his ability to develop flexible game plans for different styles is coming into question.

Couple this, with the multiple injuries and suspension in our defensive backfield and Dallas is now a team that finds it hard to score while giving up points easily. Frankly, the whole team is in disarray now, and I doubt the coaching is good enough to fix it.

sort of an off topic question but do any of you guys play fantasy football?

How is that "off topic", Sumo? :o:D

I've asked that question here a couple of times, and got no action at all. I guess it's just you and me. :D

I've been playing FF for about the last 8 years. For the last 3 years, I've been running teams in the same 3 leagues. I love the game!

Patsfangr, I have been playing since 2002. I play in a money league . I am currently 6-1 this season i figure I need 2 more wins to get me in a tie break playoff position or 3 win will lock a spot up for me. I have been a football fan since i was 9 . we ca play 1 QB , 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex , 1 kicker ,1 TE , 1 defense, the total players aloud is 16 player and 1 IR. Here is my roster

Jake Delholme QB

Matt Schaub QB

Michael Turner RB

Joseph Addia RB

Kevin Smith RB

Dominic Rhodes RB

Jerious Norwood RB

Brandon Jackson RB

Warrick Dunn RB

Deangelo Williams RB

Greg Jennings WR

Chris Chambers WR

Braylon Edwards WR

Nate Washington WR ( just picked up from waiver wire when i heard Holmes was busted with weed in his car)

Owen Daniels TE

Ravens D

Matt Bryants K

Patsfangr, I have been playing since 2002. I play in a money league . I am currently 6-1 this season i figure I need 2 more wins to get me in a tie break playoff position or 3 win will lock a spot up for me. I have been a football fan since i was 9 . we ca play 1 QB , 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex , 1 kicker ,1 TE , 1 defense, the total players aloud is 16 player and 1 IR. Here is my roster

Jake Delholme QB

Matt Schaub QB

Michael Turner RB

Joseph Addia RB

Kevin Smith RB

Dominic Rhodes RB

Jerious Norwood RB

Brandon Jackson RB

Warrick Dunn RB

Deangelo Williams RB

Greg Jennings WR

Chris Chambers WR

Braylon Edwards WR

Nate Washington WR ( just picked up from waiver wire when i heard Holmes was busted with weed in his car)

Owen Daniels TE

Ravens D

Matt Bryants K

Good team, Sumo. You've got some injury problems to worry about with Addai and Chambers right now. I hope you get through that. And you're lucky that the Lions have apparently gone to rookie K. Smith, rather than Rudi Johnson. That could still get shaky later.

My 3 leagues are in two different hosting systems; Yahoo and MyFantasyLeague.com, so the rules differ. In my 2 Yahoo leagues, we have a roster of 17 players; starting a QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, a 'Flex' RB/WR, a TE, PK, and DEF. The other league has a roster of 18; starting the same mix, minus the 'Flex' player. They are all 'money' leagues too. I'm struggling in the last league described, at 3-4. One Yahoo league team stands at 4-2, in 3rd place. The other has a better record, that I don't speak of specifically. Kind of like the bad luck of telling a pitcher he has a no-hitter going, ya know? :o

Here's an interest twist you might enjoy hearing about. In the two Yahoo leagues (same league Commissioner, some of the same owners), we have an option to hold what we call "Rookie Keepers", in addition to 1 veteran Keeper, each season. A Rookie Keeper (RK) is a player you either draft before his rookie season begins; or trade for with an owner who drafted him as a rookie. We can keep up to 3 such players. In the draft, these RKs are counted as your picks at the END of the draft (rounds 15-17, depending upon how many you have). As you can imagine, it provides for an opportunity for more continuity than a normal Keeper league, with only 1 Keeper who counts as your 1st pick; and more opportunity for change than a full "Dynasty" league. We can hold onto a good core of up to 4 players; but have to draft well to be successful each year. Great set up.

The other league (with 'MyFantasyLeague.com') is sort of a "half Dynasty" set up. We keep 1 each QB, RB, WR, TE, PK, DEF going into the draft.

Now that I'm retired, I enjoy the game even more than when I was working. Studying the results and players, and making moves during the week, is a great way to spend many hours during the week for an NFL nut! Of course, it leaves me a state of near depression when we hit the off-season! :D

I tried to scare up a league among members here before this season began, but got no interest. I might try again next season. If anybody would be interested, please let me know. The problem is that it takes at least 8 guys to have a decent league. All 3 of mine have 12 teams, which really seems ideal to me. If it works out, we'll have to take it off line to discuss it further. We could set up a private Yahoo discussion group for that; or just use email with distribution lists.

Patsfangr ,yeah Addia is breaking my heart right now, the 2 season prior he only missed 1 game. Addia was my 1st round pick. I try to hand cuff my main RBs, With Chambers I picked him up in the 6th round to back up Jennings and Edwards. I am not 2 worried about chambers . I think he will be 100 percent after there bye week. I am in a Keeper league also . We can keep 2 players at the start of every season as long as they were drafted after the 2nd round. I am not retired but I get large chunks of time off (comerical fishing in alaska) I spend my off time here in Jomtien with my thai wife. If you guys havent played fantasy football you should give it a try. but if you want to be good at it 33 percent you have to be lucky and and 66 percent you have to read a lot of stats and know all the players who touch the ball . The only down side is when your favorite team is playing a fantasy player you have. you want both sides to well . Most cases it doesnt happen to often. If you guys ever seen a fantasy football comerical with guy clinging to a pillow crying on the couch because his team sucked that week .Thats me most weeks .

Patsfangr ,yeah Addia is breaking my heart right now, the 2 season prior he only missed 1 game. Addia was my 1st round pick. I try to hand cuff my main RBs, With Chambers I picked him up in the 6th round to back up Jennings and Edwards. I am not 2 worried about chambers . I think he will be 100 percent after there bye week. I am in a Keeper league also . We can keep 2 players at the start of every season as long as they were drafted after the 2nd round. I am not retired but I get large chunks of time off (comerical fishing in alaska) I spend my off time here in Jomtien with my thai wife. If you guys havent played fantasy football you should give it a try. but if you want to be good at it 33 percent you have to be lucky and and 66 percent you have to read a lot of stats and know all the players who touch the ball . The only down side is when your favorite team is playing a fantasy player you have. you want both sides to well . Most cases it doesnt happen to often. If you guys ever seen a fantasy football comerical with guy clinging to a pillow crying on the couch because his team sucked that week .Thats me most weeks .

Commercial fishing in Alaska? What do you fish for? Not "The Deadliest Catch", is it? :o

This late in the year and I'm not yet embarrassed by my hometown Panthers. It's a good feeling.

Callico, if I remember correctly, you pull for several teams. Is Carolina the lead one of the group you support this year, or is this still subject to change?

Good to see you back.

This late in the year and I'm not yet embarrassed by my hometown Panthers. It's a good feeling.

Callico, if I remember correctly, you pull for several teams. Is Carolina the lead one of the group you support this year, or is this still subject to change?

Good to see you back.

You have a fine memory, OMR. I'll always support Carolina first and foremost.

When I was growing up in North Carolina, we didn't have any teams, so I became loyal to most of the others I'm still loyal to. But they're on the third tier now. The second tier belongs to Tampa, because I moved there before they won their first game. I was back in North Carolina in time to see the Panthers' first game, and the first NFL game I saw in China was the Patriots-Panthers Super Bowl.

Back when Carolina was NFC West and Tampa was NFC Central, in any given year one or both would suck, so I never had to choose. Now they're NFC South, and the first time they played as rivals, my heart very quickly said it was supporting Carolina.

i dont think any bars are showing any replays of monday night games in thailand

I think the prior poster meant replays of True's Sunday midnight/early Monday games....but shown after regular work hours on Monday evenings when more people can catch them...

I believe Woodstock bar is doing that kind of arrangement....

Is there any method for which games True will show on Sunday/Monday? I've only had True Sports 4 for a couple of weeks now and feel lucky that the Giants games were on both weeks. Is it safe to assume they show games based on the highest # of viewers back in the US the previous week(s), or is this all planned out before the season even starts, or ... ?

Surface, I dont think they show games based on popularity, If your internet connection is decent i stumbled across a link you can watch live feeds. it is a lot better then MSNBC sunday night feed so I have been told http://www.justin.tv/. i watched a game yesterday on it and its pretty good.

I have a connection from max net , I think its 3MB down and 1 MBup for 1,900 baht a month

The two games shown by TrueVisions are the "national" broadcasts, by FOX and CBS, of the Sunday afternoon games (1:00 PM and 4:00 PM, ET) in the USA. It has nothing to do with "popularity", beyond the choice of those networks, which is also governed by a contractual agreement with the NFL regarding the number of times that teams can be on the national broadcast. Each network broadcasts all other games "regionally". We don't see those regional broadcasts on TrueV here; and, of course, we do not see any games played at other times and days (Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night, Thanksgiving Day, late season Saturday games).