Visa Run Via Small Motorcycle From Cm To Undon Thani

We're considering a run up to Vientiane by going from Chiang Mai to Undon Thani on a small motorcycle (back when they had the 30-day visa on arrival by land we used such a bike to go to Mae Sai). It'd be a two-day trip each way (plus time in Vientiane of course) I'd think, but anyway I'd like to get some opinions on whether folks think this is just nuts, a little nuts, fairly sane, or maybe even a good idea. Thoughts?

Anything less than a 250cc would be dangerous in my opinion. Traffic can be heavy over the pass to Lampang. Not quite so much traffic to Den Chai but mountain roads most of the way. From Den Chai to Uttaradit a lot of traffic and mountain roads plus road construction. South of Uttaradit I suggest cutting across to Chat Trakan-Dan Sai-Loei. Spend the night in Loei. That's about 470 kilometers in one day. Loei-Wang Saphung-Udon Thani-Nong Khai over 250 kilometers. I and others I ride with have done a similar ride numerous times and we can tell you from experience you need a good handling bike with good brakes and reasonable power.

I once did a visa run from BKK to Penang on a 150cc bike. 2 days each way.

It wasn't fun. More of a test of endurance, really. If you're going on a 2-stroke you will be forced to stop every 40-50 minutes on account of a sore ass.

Also, don't wear nice clothes. You're gonna get absolutely covered in black exhaust crap.

Edited by hanuman1