Corruption Busting Should Top Thai National Agenda

webfact

Fighting corruption should be top

By Petchanet Pratruangkrai

The Nation

Khon Kaen

Corruption busting should top the national agenda to solve social and economic issues, according to the Board of Trade (BoT) and Thai Chamber of Commerce (TCC).

The two organisations will propose to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva today during their 28th annual meeting here that the country should also focus on narrowing income gap between the rich and poor and making the national economic and social development plan more effective, especially in terms of logistics and human resource development.

TCC vice chairman Phongsak Assakul said all parties, including the government, private sector, general public and youth need to fight against corruption by adopting short and long-term measures.

"The country's international image on corruption is bad as we got only 3.5 points out of the possible 10 in a survey on transparency. More Thai companies must pledge to help reduce corruption," he said.

"We aim to increase our anti-corruption alliance's members from the current 27 firms to 300 firms within the next year and to 60,000 firms in the next few years," he said.

The BoT and TCC yesterday also proposed strategies to cope with globalisation while ensuring the country's competitiveness under the upcoming Asean economic integration programme.

They noted that the domestic political uncertainty, concern over the weak US economic recovery, the financial crisis in Europea, and the rising value of the baht were major factors which would affect economic growth next year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-28

Whilst I applaud any effort, one would have to conclude that Thai society doesn't know or want to eradicate corruption.

A bit like the running number of Mcds sold in the world, the Nation could probably have a running total of articles it has written about efforts to eradicate corruption over the last 40 years.

I think there should be a government department set up to pay off those that are involved in corruption.Obviously a huge budget would be required. :rolleyes:

Thailand and corruption go hand in hand. Most people buy their positions in all walks of life here.Whilst I applaud any effort to try to reduce it it is so much part of life here it will be almost impossible.

I will add my 2 cents here and say that ending or even limiting corruption is an outstanding idea. There are far too many people looking for an easy way to make some extra money, however, there are also too many individuals that believe it is their 'right', since they are in a position of authority to be able to have something given to them for their influence or their 'guidence' in specific situations. Consider it a consulting fee or a facilitation fee or simply a sales bonus but it has been part of the society for as long as anyone can remember. The village boss' get something to help you when they co-sign a loan for a poor citizen of their village to buy a car, they are given a 'gift' to help sort our a problem between families or business'....it is all corruption.

That said, I'm not advocating giving up, if this body can get 1 or 2 areas to start to be cleaned up, this would be a huge step in the right direction. Maybe start by not allowing police officers to 'collect' fines on the street, we know they are just trying to save you a trip to the station house, :whistling: , it is awefully kind of them, but maybe this practice should end. Also, when govenment contracts are let, the 'consulting' fees should be ended. I'm sure there are 100 other things we can do but I offer up two items just fo conversation.

Cheers

C

Edited by cshort64

For sure it won't be easy, but every developed had corruption problems in past centuries. It still exists today, but not like it did in the 1800's or early 1900's. Here is an excerpt from an interesting article. It will take Thailand time, just like it took our countries time. But at least they are aware of the problem and are trying to take steps to control it. They never will completely control it, as corruption is everywhere in the world today, in every country. Some more, some less. IMHO, the first step here is the police force.

Ever since Aristotle identified that the “true forms of government, therefore, are those in

which the one, the few, or the many govern with a view to the common interests,” political

philosophers and practitioners have been concerned about corrupt governments: those perverted

forms that “rule with a view to the private interest.”1 Aristotle, Polybius, Machiavelli and the 16th

century Italians, Harrington and the 17th and 18th century English writers who became known as

Whigs or commonwealthmen, and Madison, Hamilton, and the American founders all grappled

with the problem of corruption. Their search for an incorruptible form of true government

required that they understand how corruption perverted government. Their ideas about

corruption ranged from the moral and ethical values of princes and people to features of legal

systems and political institutions. In the late 17th and early 18th century a specific concept of

corruption, what I call “systematic corruption,” crystallized in Britain and spread to the

American colonies and France. Having identified the disease, all three societies spent a century

or more designing and implementing constitutional reforms to protect their political systems

against systematic corruption. Balanced or mixed government was the cure. Modern economic

development was the result.

It's gone too far now. The people who are bent wield a bigger stick than the ones who want them called to task. It'a bit like having cancer which was treatable in the initial stages but doing nothing and letting it spread until its incurable.

It's gone too far now. The people who are bent wield a bigger stick than the ones who want them called to task. It'a bit like having cancer which was treatable in the initial stages but doing nothing and letting it spread until its incurable.

Or do like the Chinese. Put a bullet in the offenders head...and then bill the family for the bullet! :blink:

But for sure, the folks running this country (biz or gov) are totally corrupt. And like in Burma, profiting handsomely from it!

Thai politicians make a salary of less than 100,000 thb per month.

99% of all Thai Politicians are millionaires

Do the math and ask yourself where all this money came from on a 100,000 baht salary?

Almost of them have their kids in international schools in the USA and UK which is not cheap.

The ruling class believes they are entitled to this corruption money

All the talk in the world will never change a thing because in Thailand there is no such thing as too much money

The people getting rich through corruption control the country, the laws and show me one ethical rich Thai that would ever admit they made one baht from corruption?

The committees are just another way to waste time, effort and more money

Greed and corruption are what fuel this country

Without money you are nobody

Politicians have the power because of all the money they made with corruption

Without this money, they would never be able to hold on to their positions.

To think it will ever change is ludicris, it will get even worse as the years roll by

Even having billions of dollars has proven as not be a reason to stop

There is no limit and there never will be

Part of any national agenda should include educating the Thai public about what corruption is.

Corruption is so embedded and endemic that most Thai couldn't articulate what's corrupt and what isn't.

Just some of thousands of examples: Do Thais know that many government services are free, though there is a fee asked for? Will any decline to pay a fee for a free service asked by a gov't official? Answer; no.

Do they know that Pu Yai Ban don't always have to get a fee for every little thing they do? Answer: No.

Do they know what a no-bid contract is?

Do they realize that the lowest bidder on a contract is not always the best choice - for awarding the contract?

Do authorities know it's ok and legal to withhold final payment on a job until all the messes have been cleaned up, and the contracted item is functioning 100% as it should?

If Thais observe shoddy government work, will they file a formal complaint? Answer: no.

Are EIR's (environmental impact reports) required and competently filed for all relevant projects? Answer: no

Are VIP's subject to the same rules (of the road, and elsewhere) as ordinary citizens. Answer: no

If a cop is convicted of a serious crime, will he serve out his full term in prison? Answer: no way, he'll probably be let out the back door within a week.

Can a politician's son or daughter ever get in serious trouble. Answer; no.

Show me the most backward place in Thailand,

with a truly serious pledge to wipe out corruption at all levels

and I will demonstrate to you the next unexplained growth area.

Conversely, I will show you a place I know very well,

which has every natural reason to grow and thrive beyond imagination,

where actual growth happens only because of extreme economic pressure

overwhelming the unseen costs of doing business.

If the federal government truly wants to clean up corruption,

there will be pain and disruption across the board.

A lot of bad people will lose their good jobs => NO INCOME

with good people brought in to replace them.

It will be ugly and it will hurt....but it also will succeed.

Is this just high sounding chitter chatter at international conferences?

It will be very easy to observe what is truly meant by these announcements.

Dont see all this corruption on a personal level.

I see no corruption in the markets, the shops or the small restaurents, everyone gives me a fair price, doesnt try to rip me off.

I do realise there is corruption on an official level.

However I am sure the little people (majority of voters) would be very happy to see any official corruption removed.

With the past Govt of K Thaksin evolving corruption into an art form for his personal gain the rest of officioldom quickly followed his example.

Not to say corruption wasnt there before but in his time in Govt it was refined into its present form.

Now those who are benefiting most have no wish to lose their, shall we say , 'Perks of the job'.

Getting rid of it will not an easy thing to achieve but if it can be done it will remove a big cost of doing buisness that can only improve the countries performance.

Whilst the Thai Billionaire Elites and Millionaire Generals keep the law that stops Global and International businesses from owning and running National and State contracts and services 100%, Thailand will forever be at the mercy of their isolationist masters and the corruption trough they all feed from.

Part of any national agenda should include educating the Thai public about what corruption is.

Corruption is so embedded and endemic that most Thai couldn't articulate what's corrupt and what isn't.

Just some of thousands of examples:  Do Thais know that many government services are free, though there is a fee asked for?   Will any decline to pay a fee for a free service asked by a gov't official? Answer; no.

Do they know that Pu Yai Ban don't always have to get a fee for every little thing they do?  Answer: No.

Do they realize that the lowest bidder on a contract is not always the best choice - for awarding the contract?

Do authorities know it's ok and legal to withhold final payment on a job until all the messes have been cleaned up, and the contracted item is functioning 100% as it should?

If Thais observe shoddy government work, will they file a formal complaint?  Answer: no.

Are EIR's (environmental impact reports) required and competently filed for all relevant projects?  Answer: no

Are VIP's subject to the same rules (of the road, and elsewhere) as ordinary citizens.  Answer: no

If a cop is convicted of a serious crime, will he serve out his full term in prison?  Answer: no way, he'll probably  be let out the back door within a week.

Can a politician's son or daughter ever get in serious trouble.  Answer; no.

The 64 dollar question is ' who will do the educating?'  Certainly not what passes for the education authorities. How long would an independent be allowed to have his/her voice heard? Is it totally out of the question that the monk hood gets it act together and shines a light into the dark recesses? Any chance that some of these old men in the Sangha actually earn the reverence that they are apparently held in?

So you are saying there is no hope it will be like this for the next 100,000 years. B) I don't agree there i hope. If you look around you will see it. Here in Chiang Mai the BIB aren't that willing to take your money for no helmet. There is 60 companies committing to it. The fact of the matter is Thailand is no different than the rest of the world. It has been and always will be with us. But Thailand is making starts to lesson it. Why any one would want to dish them for that is beyond me. B)

Oops forgot MONEY :(

A business survey revealed that many respondents believed corruption was more prevalent in Thailand but expected the country's economy to grow three to four per cent next year.

The survey was conducted by the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, involving 420 business operators nationwide.

62.4 per cent of the polled said they believed corruption was more prevalent in the country than in the past three years.

79.7 per cent said they had paid bribes government officials and politicians in return for concessions and the amount of each bribe was usually more than 25 per cent of the concession.

Most respondents said corruption was the main obstacle for the country's sustainable development and it should be addressed seriously.

However, most business operators expected the Thai economy in 2011 to grow 3.1 to 4.0 per cent year-on-year.

They believed next year's risk factors would be political uncertainty, economic volatility and fluctuating oil prices.

From another news source.

"25 per cent of the concession". The corrupt ones are not going to take lightly to having that sort of income removed, not without a fight.

Surely they will wave the flag and cite how they busted a few corrupt individuals or businesses.

However, they will likely be only small fish compared to some in politics, the police and numerous other

offenders. The latter will be punished when pigs learn to fly!!

Anyone wants reform, real reform and nothing but a squeaking clean almost perfectly running govt?

Look no further!

Just try to do anything half way questionable in HongKong? S'pore? Malaysia?

Particularly in HongKong which many years back was very much worse than Thailand nowadays.

Chinese, Indian, Thai et al hoodlums were at every corner of every street in HongKong.

But none is evident nowadays.

Thailand can also clean up and shape up, just like people in HongKong did many years ago.

The big question is, will the people in Thailand really want to cleanup which might offend many many many of their own uncles and aunties who have been directly or indirectly feeding them and their own families and off-springs... et cetera, et cetera, et cetera....?

I am personally all for the cleanup and shape up of Thailand for the betterment of Thailand and her bright, honest and transparent future.

Just let me know, when, where and how to begin.... and with whom....

Surely they will wave the flag and cite how they busted a few corrupt individuals or businesses.

However, they will likely be only small fish compared to some in politics, the police and numerous other

offenders. The latter will be punished when pigs learn to fly!!

A crackdown on corruption. :lol:

A business survey revealed that many respondents believed corruption was more prevalent in Thailand but expected the country's economy to grow three to four per cent next year.

The survey was conducted by the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, involving 420 business operators nationwide.

62.4 per cent of the polled said they believed corruption was more prevalent in the country than in the past three years.

79.7 per cent said they had paid bribes government officials and politicians in return for concessions and the amount of each bribe was usually more than 25 per cent of the concession.

Most respondents said corruption was the main obstacle for the country's sustainable development and it should be addressed seriously.

However, most business operators expected the Thai economy in 2011 to grow 3.1 to 4.0 per cent year-on-year.

They believed next year's risk factors would be political uncertainty, economic volatility and fluctuating oil prices.

"25 per cent of the concession". The corrupt ones are not going to take lightly to having that sort of income removed, not without a fight.

Now let me get this rite They said

["Most respondents said corruption was the main obstacle for the country's sustainable development and it should be addressed seriously.

However, most business operators expected the Thai economy in 2011 to grow 3.1 to 4.0 per cent year-on-year."]

First they say corruption is the main obstacle. Then they say they expect it to grow 3.1 to 4% year after year.

Apparently it is not much of a obstacle.

At any rate we do have a start. :)

Edited by jayjay0

Now let me get this rite They said

["Most respondents said corruption was the main obstacle for the country's sustainable development and it should be addressed seriously.

However, most business operators expected the Thai economy in 2011 to grow 3.1 to 4.0 per cent year-on-year."]

First they say corruption is the main obstacle. Then they say they expect it to grow 3.1 to 4% year after year.

Apparently it is not much of a obstacle.

At any rate we do have a start. :)

Perhaps it would grow at 8% without all the corruption!

It is a huge obstacle.

Just some of thousands of examples: Do Thais know that many government services are free, though there is a fee asked for? Will any decline to pay a fee for a free service asked by a gov't official? Answer; no.

Do they know that Pu Yai Ban don't always have to get a fee for every little thing they do? Answer: No.

If Thais observe shoddy government work, will they file a formal complaint? Answer: no.

Are EIR's (environmental impact reports) required and competently filed for all relevant projects? Answer: no

Are VIP's subject to the same rules (of the road, and elsewhere) as ordinary citizens. Answer: no

If a cop is convicted of a serious crime, will he serve out his full term in prison? Answer: no way, he'll probably be let out the back door within a week.

Can a politician's son or daughter ever get in serious trouble. Answer; no.

What they all fail to understand is that they all pay for this year's corruption 'next year'. It's the classic pyramid fraud: The only winners are the ones who stay ahead of the game. But all these types of games eventually collapse. The er...ahem....careful management of the mass population's wages is helping to keep the fraud afloat in Thailand. But.....

So you are saying there is no hope it will be like this for the next 100,000 years. B) I don't agree there i hope. If you look around you will see it. Here in Chiang Mai the BIB aren't that willing to take your money for no helmet.[/u] There is 60 companies committing to it. The fact of the matter is Thailand is no different than the rest of the world. It has been and always will be with us. But Thailand is making starts to lesson it. Why any one would want to dish them for that is beyond me. B)

Some go in their pockets right then and there (selective) and the rest goes into the collective fund which then gets distributed, but from the top down, how far down is the question. The other question is, if you have ever paid a ticket at the station(and from your statement I think you have), even though it looks above board when you pay, is it?, meaning do they make it seem above board, and then behind the seen all of the tickets and officers books when used up are burned.

Somehow I have a hard time thinking that the money collected from the tickets actually is documented and put into a real police up above board province or city fund.

uncletom

So you are saying there is no hope it will be like this for the next 100,000 years. B) I don't agree there i hope. If you look around you will see it. Here in Chiang Mai the BIB aren't that willing to take your money for no helmet.[/u] There is 60 companies committing to it. The fact of the matter is Thailand is no different than the rest of the world. It has been and always will be with us. But Thailand is making starts to lesson it. Why any one would want to dish them for that is beyond me. B)

Some go in their pockets right then and there (selective) and the rest goes into the collective fund which then gets distributed, but from the top down, how far down is the question. The other question is, if you have ever paid a ticket at the station(and from your statement I think you have), even though it looks above board when you pay, is it?, meaning do they make it seem above board, and then behind the seen all of the tickets and officers books when used up are burned.

Somehow I have a hard time thinking that the money collected from the tickets actually is documented and put into a real police up above board province or city fund.

uncletom

Al I said was Thailand was starting to do some thing about it. I made no reference or implication that all the BIB were honest. You on the other hand implied that there is not one honest BIB.

I am being serious can you tell me why people with your attitude towards Thais stay here.

I am well aware that there are people here with a sex and drug problem and there are people here who are socially unacceptable back home. And then there are the people who hate themselves so badly they can only feel good by putting others down.

I also know there are people here who can't make it financially back home. But to do it here they have to lie and cheat.

Can you give me other reasons.B) They would be appreciated.:)

Edited by jayjay0

uncletom

Al I said was Thailand was starting to do some thing about it. I made no reference or implication that all the BIB were honest. You on the other hand implied that there is not one honest BIB.

I am being serious can you tell me why people with your attitude towards Thais stay here.

I am well aware that there are people here with a sex and drug problem and there are people here who are socially unacceptable back home. And then there are the people who hate themselves so badly they can only feel good by putting others down.

I also know there are people here who can't make it financially back home. But to do it here they have to lie and cheat.

Hey jayjayo,

I was not contradicting nor bashing your post. I have paid tickets, been let off oodles of times and just recently paid one that required no ID and they wrote only my first name and it was totally wrong. Pretty hilarious. Actually it cracked me up laughing, so I have to thank them for the chuckle. They didn’t care, it was a money factory, and this was apparent from looking around the station, funky. I have also paid at the same traffic violation station once before as well, all the same, felt normal for paying the ticket.

I have sat and watched them on the street take and put away in pocket and also write and give out for the person to sign. And this has been quite recent. .

And whom are you referring to when you say “ your attitudes towards Thais”? I hope you are not referring to me and my 18+ years here. The cows have already come home I have been here so long, and I am privileged with a full fledged Thai family including my own half American half Thai kids (2)..

I have no inhibitions nor trouble talking about this subject. In my post I left some of what I said to be left to questions to reason from, not actual finger pointing saying it is how I say it is.. Who knows, but for the most part without leaving questioning for reason, this is how their system is set up, and that ain’t gonna change soon.

Now corruption of taking money for no helmets may be thought of by them as Ok and not corrupt and is their true given right of passage to do so, as in it being just a way of normal life to make more money than their below meager salary to survive (and this has always been standard as for them to make extra money to feed their family or extra curricular activities), while on the other hand they may really think that real CORRUTPION IS LIKE THAT OF taking bribes from mafia figures to let drugs flow past, or taking money from a bar to not bust them for illegally aged girls or even owned slave girls. Who knows where they draw the line as acceptable or non acceptable.

I almost say traffic is acceptable either way. No blemish on anyone’s driving record because there is none, so no insurance hikes. A#1 if you ask me! And we help support them and their families! Ok with me.

As for some of your other comments, no comment!, because they seem and are off base. Maybe true but I don’t seem to understand from where they came from considering the topic. But it is ok, everyone is allowed to lash out with stuff that doesn’t make sense from time to time.

Would you care to elaborate on the last 4 statements in your post? ie; 1. Attitude towards Thai’s 2. Sex n drug problem 3. @ home socially unacceptable 4. Putting people down to feel good, and where that applies to anything me or anyone else said would be much appreciated.

And this is not bashing, just asking for clarity.

Thanks,

uncletom

uncletom

Hey jayjayo,

I was not contradicting nor bashing your post. I have paid tickets, been let off oodles of times and just recently paid one that required no ID and they wrote only my first name and it was totally wrong. Pretty hilarious. Actually it cracked me up laughing, so I have to thank them for the chuckle. They didn't care, it was a money factory, and this was apparent from looking around the station, funky. I have also paid at the same traffic violation station once before as well, all the same, felt normal for paying the ticket.

I have sat and watched them on the street take and put away in pocket and also write and give out for the person to sign. And this has been quite recent. .

And whom are you referring to when you say " your attitudes towards Thais"? I hope you are not referring to me and my 18+ years here. The cows have already come home I have been here so long, and I am privileged with a full fledged Thai family including my own half American half Thai kids (2)..

I have no inhibitions nor trouble talking about this subject. In my post I left some of what I said to be left to questions to reason from, not actual finger pointing saying it is how I say it is.. Who knows, but for the most part without leaving questioning for reason, this is how their system is set up, and that ain't gonna change soon.

Now corruption of taking money for no helmets may be thought of by them as Ok and not corrupt and is their true given right of passage to do so, as in it being just a way of normal life to make more money than their below meager salary to survive (and this has always been standard as for them to make extra money to feed their family or extra curricular activities), while on the other hand they may really think that real CORRUTPION IS LIKE THAT OF taking bribes from mafia figures to let drugs flow past, or taking money from a bar to not bust them for illegally aged girls or even owned slave girls. Who knows where they draw the line as acceptable or non acceptable.

I almost say traffic is acceptable either way. No blemish on anyone's driving record because there is none, so no insurance hikes. A#1 if you ask me! And we help support them and their families! Ok with me.

As for some of your other comments, no comment!, because they seem and are off base. Maybe true but I don't seem to understand from where they came from considering the topic. But it is ok, everyone is allowed to lash out with stuff that doesn't make sense from time to time.

Would you care to elaborate on the last 4 statements in your post? ie; 1. Attitude towards Thai's 2. Sex n drug problem 3. @ home socially unacceptable 4. Putting people down to feel good, and where that applies to anything me or anyone else said would be much appreciated.

And this is not bashing, just asking for clarity.

Thanks,

uncletom

In your post you said all giving no room for a honest cop. I put in in bold print.

I personally and sick and tired of people with that attitude. You condemn a lot of people when you do that. Just because you have a experience does not mean every body will have the same experience. Weather you like it or not there are a lot of honest cops as well as bad apples. I personally try to look for the good. I have only been here 5 years so I am still looking at the differences rather than the right and wrongs.

As for the other comments look around. They are out there not every one falls into that category but a lot of them do.