Govt Warns: Samui Faces Power Crisis

Boater

Samui faces a severe power crisis due to increased demand, especially during the high tourist season.Mr. Noppong Vichaidit, chief of the Network Operation Department of the Provincial Electricity Authority, Region 2, met recently with the island’s civic and business leaders to brief them about the current power situation and at the same time solicit their help in finding solution to the power shortage.

During the meeting, held at the Koh Samui Municipality, Mr. Noppong said the demand for electrical power from December this year to January next year would be higher than any period of the year.

This could lead, he said, to a severe shortage that could lead to outages or power rationing, adding it was necessary for everybody to adopt energy-saving measures.

Mr. Noppong said Samui’s power consumption had been going up steadily due to tourism growth.

“We are really concerned that the demand for electrical power in December will be too high that we cannot deal with it,” he said. “What we can only do now is to save and reduce unnecessary use of energy.”

He suggested that bigger hotels should have UPS or an uninterruptible power supply in hand to provide emergency power when supply from the mains drops.

Noppong said the Authority would also reimburse hotels with UPS for gasoline and breakage costs as these equipment help the island save energy.

further reading >>>> http://news.samuiexpress.net/headline/781-govt-warns-samui-faces-power-crisis.html

" Mr. Noppong said "Samui's power consumption had been going up due to tourism growth" WRONG ! Who are these uneducated muppets in charge of infrastructure on Samui ? Tourism has not grown but uncontrolled planning and limitless building permits with thousands of unused rooms has and still permits are being approved ! Who listens to this crap :angry: ?

there seems to have been a plan reading the article but I can't see it not being approved because locals aren't into 22 metre power lines, it's not like it is going to ruin the look of the island from maenam to lamai that was done years ago, so what exactly is the problem?

they knew more than 5yrs ago that the day was comming for electric and water shortages yet they still have no plan. :bah:

Typical.

To be ready I have a 12 Kw and 6.5 Kw auxiliary generators for my restaurants ;).

Actually I have them since 2005 (in KPG we are used to the many "fade up" occurring almost weekly) :lol:

" Mr. Noppong said "Samui's power consumption had been going up due to tourism growth" WRONG ! Who are these uneducated muppets in charge of infrastructure on Samui ? Tourism has not grown but uncontrolled planning and limitless building permits with thousands of unused rooms has and still permits are being approved ! Who listens to this crap :angry: ?

Agree Crusty, It's an excuse for their incompetence, lack of foresight, ignorance/arrogance and the citizens here on Samui have to suffer for it. They couldn't organise a xxxxx in a brothel. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rooo
expletive deleted.

Right on! Their incompetence is unbelievable!

I wonder if the Tourist Authority will be making any statements to try to discourage

nasty visitors from coming here and using all the electricity. :wacko:

they knew more than 5yrs ago that the day was comming for electric and water shortages yet they still have no plan. :bah:

they have that big emtpy electric station in manam :whistling:

From what I understand, the new sub station in Maenam is due to open in April 2011.

You forgot to add the date. First of April.

they have that big emtpy electric station in manam :whistling:

From what I understand, the new sub station in Maenam is due to open in April 2011.

You forgot to add the date. First of April.

No No.... Rooo....... April 31st! :lol::cheesy:

How about all these big Hotels and Spas paying an "infrastructure tax" to help pay the costs of the overloaded power grid and sewerage system???????????????????????

SE do you really think if such a charge were imposed it would end up anywhere else but in somebodys back pocket.

How about all these big Hotels and Spas paying an "infrastructure tax" to help pay the costs of the overloaded power grid and sewerage system???????????????????????

SE do you really think if such a charge were imposed it would end up anywhere else but in somebodys back pocket.

So do you mean all local taxes goes into somebody's back pocket. Surely not all!!!!!!!

OK this is what I found out today.... about the Sub station in Maenam...... l'lI just say this is from a "reliable source".......

It is still due to open in April.... whether it is the 1 st or 30 th I am not sure.... :rolleyes:I'm sure there will a few who would like to take a few bets on that!

The plan is to bring the power along the Ring Road from where the power comes to the island south of Thaling Ngam, then bring it along to Maenam, following the main road... through Nanthon.... at a cost of One Million baht per Kilometer....

Perhaps this is something to do with that black pipe that was laid a few months ago...???? (I was not able to determine an answer on that........)

Good planning not to dig up the tarmac laid last year, by coming the other way.... they would only do that in western countries...:unsure:.... :o

OK this is what I found out today.... about the Sub station in Maenam...... l'lI just say this is from a "reliable source".......

It is still due to open in April.... whether it is the 1 st or 30 th I am not sure.... :rolleyes:I'm sure there will a few who would like to take a few bets on that!

The plan is to bring the power along the Ring Road from where the power comes to the island south of Thaling Ngam, then bring it along to Maenam, following the main road... through Nanthon.... at a cost of One Million baht per Kilometer....

Perhaps this is something to do with that black pipe that was laid a few months ago...???? (I was not able to determine an answer on that........)

Good planning not to dig up the tarmac laid last year, by coming the other way.... they would only do that in western countries...:unsure:.... :o

Those black pipes are for water delivery and have nothing to do with electricity supplies.

Those black pipes are for water delivery and have nothing to do with electricity supplies.

Eh Up! I can see more drinks from Rooo coming up!

Edited by nod

Ha ha , NOT getting involved with black pipes again, cost me heaps last time. :angry:

The Samui Gazette today's issue:

Rolling blackouts during peak season Mid December - Mid January. They have all the areas listed .

The PEA confirmed the blackouts will be 20 minutes long and are rotational :

Chaweng - Nathon 6 pm

Bophut - Chongmon 6.20 pm

Lamai-- Chaweng 6.40 pm

Taling Ngam- Koh Phangan 7 pm

Lamai-Chaweng-Maenam 7.20pm

Phang Ka-Nathon-Bophut-Bang Kaew & Suan Turian 7.40 pm.

Ha ha , NOT getting involved with black pipes again, cost me heaps last time. :angry:

Rolling blackouts during peak season Mid December - Mid January. They have all the areas listed .

Chaweng - Nathon 6 pm

Lamai-- Chaweng 6.40 pm

Amazing Samui .... this will happen EVERY DAY as i read it in the newspaper ....

but what i dont understand is why would they sms the hotels before the blackout when the times are written above? does this mean the timings are not correct? , also they mention they will give half price diesal to the hotels ( referring to hours as well )

Ah well

Chaweng - Nathon 6 pm

Lamai-- Chaweng 6.40 pm

Amazing Samui .... this will happen EVERY DAY as i read it in the newspaper ....

but what i dont understand is why would they sms the hotels before the blackout when the times are written above? does this mean the timings are not correct? , also they mention they will give half price diesal to the hotels ( referring to hours as well )

Ah well

No mention of what plans and duration they have for running electricity at half power. That really screws up the pumps.

Happening now in Plai Lam.

I'm getting confused,Quoting Samui Express............

"The Govt has announced power shortages because of the increase in tourism".

However it was only a short while ago that they were (and still are) encouraging the construction

of massive hotels to "encourage tourism".

Now the Govt. has announced that the hotels which have emergency generators will have their fuel paid for

BECAUSE THEY ARE HELPING THE ISLAND SAVE ENERGY!! That is a quote from Chief of the Electricity Dept.

How on earth can shipping in Gasoline be energy saving?

So, it follows that if I build a huge hotel then I get a fuel subsidy for helping to generate a power shortage, because the tourists I

have brought in are increasing the useage of electricity.

I wonder what constraints there are to obtaining all this free (taxpayer) fuel. Seems to be nice work if you can get it!

It all seems very weird and bordering on insanity. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Or am I missing something here?

Rooo.....can we change the title of the thread to

Gov't warns Samui to return to happy carefree days by the beach...please bring your own candles

Thanks. :)

Perhaps the Govt will issue candles as well! I have also dug out an old generator, do you think I'm eligible

to claim free fuel as part of the energy saving campaign.

Rooo.....can we change the title of the thread to

Gov't warns Samui to return to happy carefree days by the beach...please bring your own candles

Thanks. :)

Perhaps the Govt will issue candles as well! I have also dug out an old generator, do you think I'm eligible

to claim free fuel as part of the energy saving campaign.

Only if you ride a pushbike. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Chaweng - Nathon 6 pm

Lamai-- Chaweng 6.40 pm

I have been told that these blackouts will start on the 23rd December. Anyone else heard this - or does anyone have better info?

(Sorry - that's the planned blackouts of course - unplanned ones will still be as is. :whistling:)