Where Do You Live In Bangkok/Thailand And Why

Rowdyman

Recommend the area around Emporium/BTS Phrong Pong within 400 meters you have Emporium for food/groceries/movies- 4 english/irish pubs; villa market, Benjasiri park is very nice for jogging, hanging out, very well maintained. - just 3 stops to Nana is that your thing. But expensive area.

Benjasiri has a swimming pool also where you pay only 15bath, I I remember well, for 2 hours swimming.

Recommend the area around Emporium/BTS Phrong Pong within 400 meters you have Emporium for food/groceries/movies- 4 english/irish pubs; villa market, Benjasiri park is very nice for jogging, hanging out, very well maintained. - just 3 stops to Nana is that your thing. But expensive area.

Benjasiri has a swimming pool also where you pay only 15bath, I I remember well, for 2 hours swimming.

There is a pool there? You mean that turtle infested lake in the middle?

Good idea to plan ahead and live somewhere before renting. However, you need to consider a few more issues as well.

Someone highlighted the distance from BTS/MRT to the condo and any motorbike taxi or taxi meter costs. If you go out twice a day and pay Bt40 both ways, then you have 40*4*30=Bt4800 a month. You also have that time and inconvenience, certainly in the rain. Of course, you may never use them, it is a personal choice. Don't forget the additional cost if you have a partner.

This transport argument brings into play the idea of your own car. Owning a car over the long term (from new) can cost little more than Bt10,000 a month all in, depending upon mileage travelled. With a car, shopping becomes a doddle and you have the flexibility to go where you want when you want, in whatever weather.

If you work, then that is a major consideration but just as important is being honest with where you actually go and spend your time. If you know that Bangkok has lots of temples but you never venture outside Soi 4 then those temples may as well be on the moon because they are not relevant. If you are a night owl, frequently out late past BTS/MRT closure times, then you are talking about taxi meters and the proximity to a station is reduced. In fact, near out place there is a taxi driver "hotel" come drop in centre. Having this number can yield a meter taxi to your door at any time of day or night making distance largely immaterial.

Of all the considerations, being honest is the most important. it may be cheaper to buy a place out in the sticks requiring multiple forms of transport to get to where you want to go and with no facilities you actually use on your doorstep but it will drive you mad over time. The isolation will also prove a danger when left unoccupied as well. Remember the old adage that you should buy the smallest apartment in the best building ahead of the largest apartment in the worst building. There is a lot to be said for that and realistically, whilst a bedroom over a studio is a good idea and a 2nd bedroom is a good idea as an office, you don't need bedrooms for visitors as Bangkok has an unlimited supply of hotel rooms.

I'd get a 2 bed near whatever area you size up and certainly would look to local amenities over the cheapest price.

• 1 month later...

3. Serviced condo 50 meters to the Asoke BTS/Sukhumvit MRT. Small boutique condo. Very quiet soi only 20 meters long and a dead end. Couldn't believe I was only 50 meters away from Sukhumvit, because I never could hear traffic noise. Great Mexican restaurant and very famous Thai restaurant 10 meters from the front door. Very convenient to everything. I really loved this place, but I grew out of it. I keep in touch with the owner, he begs me to come back.

Hey floridaguy that serviced condo sounds good. I'll be looking for something like it soon (moving to BKK from Bermuda). Can you please send me the contact info?

Edited by TerraplaneGuy