Farang Uniform

PETERTHEEATER

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, heres a set of guidelines I have come up with and I want them to be strictly adhered to..........

Bangkok..... Jeans and Tshirt with open toe black sandals(minimum standard)

Phuket........ Havana wear (hawaiian shirt/tshirt and dress sandals)

Pattaya........ Tshirt and shorts with any open toe sandals(rules are relaxed if intoxicated)

Thankyou.

Oy mate..........................................what about Surin?

Surin can be a mixture of both Phuket or Pattaya, there will be a test...........

Oy mate..........................................what about Surin?

In Surin, the appropriate OUTFIT should be

ELEPHANT.jpg

elephant.jpg

The top picture is just so cute! :D !

I want one for my 8 month old son......... :D

I want them for my 58 year old customers :o

Blimey Lampshade.... :D

I must get over to Surin and see what goes on in that place of yours! :D !

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I cannot understand why most European tourists (and residents!) from young to old men habitually wear a uniform of beach attire in public places. Everyday I see westerners wearing grubby T-shirts or vests and those invariably black and hideous Roman Legionnaire’s sandals. They appear in government offices, banks, hospitals and upmarket shops as if they have dressed for the beach and missed their way.

I learned during my earliest visits to LOS in 1961 that the people of Thailand respect well dressed foreigners. By well dressed I mean a proper shirt, slacks with shoes and socks; smart casual as it is sometimes known.

I wear shorts at home and to the beach but never in other public areas and I feel ashamed at some of the ‘under the table’ comments made by Thai people at the sight of shabbily dressed foreigners. Thais, as you should know are class conscious and see farangs who dress like samlor drivers as inferior. Yes, I know they take your money but not with respect despite the smile.

Japanese tourists (being golf crazy) dress in shorts but invariably wear good shirts and shoes and socks thus managing to look clean and tidy.

Last year I was in Majorca in May. The weather was unseasonably cold and wet and locals and sensible visitors were appropriately dressed. I was shopping in the local produce market when I heard a loud voice with a Scouse accent. I turned and saw a pot bellied man wearing a dirty white T-shirt with the sleeves ripped off to leave ragged edges, dirty swim shorts and flip-flops. The temperature was 8 degrees C! His visible statement, typical of my fellow Brits, was that he was on holiday and regardless of weather he would wear his holiday uniform.

What do you usually wear in public places and why?

You are so right!

It seems that people consider they can dress as beggars when they are not working....

tee-shirt, shorts and comfy sandals.... buy your clothes from Central and you look fine and dandy and with lots of maidens to help you choose your attire.

I preferred short sleeve work shirts but my old boss said that for corporate teaching work it would have to be long sleeve shirts as only uni students wear short sleeve shirts! Guess the Thais put a lot into appearances... that’s the point tourists always miss.

I concur with ilyushina :o is all you need to wear at home !

On my first trip to Thailand, I wore sneakers with socks. After a couple of weeks, my feet had so many blisters from the heat and humidity. In my home country, I wear sneaks without any problems. :o

So when I Rome.....

Now I wear what many Thais do - classy sandals, sometimes with, sometimes without white socks.

I normally wear shorts (trouser-style) with nice short-sleeve shirt. During evening hours, either shorts or long black trousers with nice Thai silk shirt. I never wear t-shirts or flip-flops, except when in my condo. Taking 2, 3, 4 baths everyday helps, along with Right Guard antiperspirent/deodorant Sports Gel (I love the gel smell).

I always bring many walking shoes, sandals, and nice white ankle socks from my home country since size 12 shoes are very hard to find in Pattaya. :D

I always wear shorts in Pattaya, tried long thin cotton trousers once but it was too hot, never wear long sleeved shirts anywhere. I wouldn't want to go anywhere that required dressing up, it's not me. Body odour is not a problem, the mozzie repellent overpowers it :o

Seriously, though, when I have laundry done in Pattaya, it stinks. Is this the same for everyone?

Veritas

I agree with most of what you say, although I belive a pair of nice shorts are OK in some public areas, such as when going shopping at Tescos, the local market, etc. Down in the city center though, I would always wear long trousers and a shirt or polo shirt. For work, it is shirt & tie.

When staying is Sukhumvit, I found it amusing/embarrasing to watch punters with their girlfriend of the night the next morning. The women were often (but certainly not always) nicely dressed in their evening wear (skirts, high heels, etc), and the guys in sandals, old T-shirt and washed-out shorts. bah.gif These women should demand double payment for being seen in daylight with such characters.... biggrin.gif

"you want to have breakfast with me?

"OK - but that will be another 2000 baht.....3000 if we are walking more than one block" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

:o . The girls are deffo not always nicely dressed. Some give off the slutty bar girl look but some look really nicely dressed and groomed. Thats why when I'm going out at night if I'm wearing jeans I wear a top with a bit of cleavage but if I'm wearing a nice skirt showing my legs I wear a top that covers my cleavage so I don't show off all of my body looking like I've walked off soi two. :D

Oh <deleted> makes great perfume prob have some <deleted> t-shirts lurking around somewhere.

And where are you from, Fred?

I just found this on the Tourist Org Thailand (TOT) website:

Extract:

Clothing : Light, cool clothes are sensible and a jacket is needed for formal meetings and dining in top restaurants. Shorts (except knee length walking shorts), sleeveless shirts, tank tops and other beach-style attire are considered inappropriate dress when not actually at the beach or in a resort area.

End of extract:

I went to a Japanese restaurant in a BKK shopping centre with my wife a couple of days ago but had to ask to move to another table. In the booth opposite were two pot bellied westerners dresses in string vests, grubby shorts and those bloody Roman legionnaire sandals. Both had heavily tatooed upper arms, were unshaven and smelled like water buffalo!

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I cannot understand why most European tourists (and residents!) from young to old men habitually wear a uniform of beach attire in public places. Everyday I see westerners wearing grubby T-shirts or vests and those invariably black and hideous Roman Legionnaire’s sandals. They appear in government offices, banks, hospitals and upmarket shops as if they have dressed for the beach and missed their way.

I learned during my earliest visits to LOS in 1961 that the people of Thailand respect well dressed foreigners. By well dressed I mean a proper shirt, slacks with shoes and socks; smart casual as it is sometimes known.

I wear shorts at home and to the beach but never in other public areas and I feel ashamed at some of the ‘under the table’ comments made by Thai people at the sight of shabbily dressed foreigners. Thais, as you should know are class conscious and see farangs who dress like samlor drivers as inferior. Yes, I know they take your money but not with respect despite the smile.

Japanese tourists (being golf crazy) dress in shorts but invariably wear good shirts and shoes and socks thus managing to look clean and tidy.

Last year I was in Majorca in May. The weather was unseasonably cold and wet and locals and sensible visitors were appropriately dressed. I was shopping in the local produce market when I heard a loud voice with a Scouse accent. I turned and saw a pot bellied man wearing a dirty white T-shirt with the sleeves ripped off to leave ragged edges, dirty swim shorts and flip-flops. The temperature was 8 degrees C! His visible statement, typical of my fellow Brits, was that he was on holiday and regardless of weather he would wear his holiday uniform.

What do you usually wear in public places and why?

I just found this on the Tourist Org Thailand (TOT) website:

Extract:

Clothing : Light, cool clothes are sensible and a jacket is needed for formal meetings and dining in top restaurants. Shorts (except knee length walking shorts), sleeveless shirts, tank tops and other beach-style attire are considered inappropriate dress when not actually at the beach or in a resort area.

End of extract:

I went to a Japanese restaurant in a BKK shopping centre with my wife a couple of days ago but had to ask to move to another table. In the booth opposite were two pot bellied westerners dresses in string vests, grubby shorts and those bloody Roman legionnaire sandals. Both had heavily tatooed upper arms, were unshaven and smelled like water buffalo!

It's quite awful, I know exactly what you mean!

I have yet to find a jacket that is light-weight enough to wear outdoors though. I notice many Thai men wear a garment that appears to be half way between shirt and jacket.

Edited by wilko