Aircard Problems

therealmrbrightside

I bought an aircard to use internet on the go...its a white Q-Tech dongle thingyt with a one2call sim card which i top up for internet time... WHY DOES IT KEEP DISCONNECTING AFTER 2-10 MINS? i have 22 hours remaining and yet if i write an email and it's not busy, it just loses all speed and then i have to disconnect....wait 2 mins then re-connect blah blah blah.... Anybody know what the fck is going on??!!!

Has it always done this or only recently. Sounds like you only just purchased it or did i get the wrong impression. Check that the signal strength is ok, you should be able to see this in the connect software you use. If the signal strength is low or varying try a different location. Are you in Bangkok or up country somewhere? I only use the 3G network in Bangkok and it nearly always stable, I can stay connect for days at a time. The 12call (AIS) network is Edge or very slow speed compared with 3G. I am using 12call (Edge) on my Blackberry in Bangkok and I find the coverage is very good and speed ok so it should be fine. Is it only slow when you trying to send emails if they are big emails like a word doc or excel spread sheet it going to be slow whist it sends the email and attachments. Is it also slow if you are just looking at web pages?

My experience using an Air Card in Land of Scams (LOS) has been very disheartening. Since moving to "the sticks" this is all that is available. I use 1,2 call serviced and Air Card, and the speed - LOL - or should I say lack of speed is 236Kbps. And they (over) charge Bt700 for this. I also have an Air Card by Edge which gets "speed" of 460Kbps. I find this surprising.

I must use this service b/c the Thai Govt i.e. TOT will not allow more (have 20 for 400 houses) high speed internet/ dsl connections in this village. Reason????? Is there ever any - oh other than graft/corruption etc?

I think it's just PITIFUL. But TIT. And I'll say it before one/or more of the "regulars" do.... If I don't like it I can return to my home country.

Cheers,

K

@selftaopath: How are you getting 460k -- or even 236k -- on EDGE? The fastest I've managed, either on TOT or DTAC is around 128k, in Bangkok and Jomtien. I had just assumed EDGE was that slow, but you seem to be getting far better!

@selftaopath: How are you getting 460k -- or even 236k -- on EDGE? The fastest I've managed, either on TOT or DTAC is around 128k, in Bangkok and Jomtien. I had just assumed EDGE was that slow, but you seem to be getting far better!

I don't know, but when I put my pointer over the online computer icon at the bottom right of my screen that's what it says. However this Air Card "service" is pathetic. It takes me a/b a week to download one 45 min TV series or music CD.

And to add insult to injury the "bastards" turn off my connection during the night. Like I'm a child and need monitoring.

I paid a/b Bt 500 in BKK for True and it was so so so much better. But the Thai govt is in control and ......

cheers,

K

Has it always done this or only recently. Sounds like you only just purchased it or did i get the wrong impression. Check that the signal strength is ok, you should be able to see this in the connect software you use. If the signal strength is low or varying try a different location. Are you in Bangkok or up country somewhere? I only use the 3G network in Bangkok and it nearly always stable, I can stay connect for days at a time. The 12call (AIS) network is Edge or very slow speed compared with 3G. I am using 12call (Edge) on my Blackberry in Bangkok and I find the coverage is very good and speed ok so it should be fine. Is it only slow when you trying to send emails if they are big emails like a word doc or excel spread sheet it going to be slow whist it sends the email and attachments. Is it also slow if you are just looking at web pages?

I bought the card from Tukom in Pattaya and i use it in my house not far away, the signal strength is always good when i connect but then it gets less and less until there is no strength and then i have to disconnect then re-connect. It's the AIS Edge and it is very very very slow....not sure what speed but i only use it to open emails and the odd browsing session, but unless i am either downloading or on skype it just seems to fade away.

I don't know, but when I put my pointer over the online computer icon at the bottom right of my screen that's what it says. However this Air Card "service" is pathetic. It takes me a/b a week to download one 45 min TV series or music CD.

And to add insult to injury the "bastards" turn off my connection during the night. Like I'm a child and need monitoring.

I paid a/b Bt 500 in BKK for True and it was so so so much better. But the Thai govt is in control and ......

cheers,

K

You are mixing the physical capability of the EDGE card with the actual throughput.

TOT on EDGE? Perhaps you are mistaken. HAPPY/DTAC is the best for EDGE. I've used it and received downloads on 20KBps.

TOT on EDGE? Perhaps you are mistaken. HAPPY/DTAC is the best for EDGE. I've used it and received downloads on 20KBps.

You are correct Jiu-Jitsu.

I was commenting on the difference b/t an Vodafone AirCard w/ Edge softward vs a 1,2, Call as it is described by the computer icon at the bottom of my screen.

My actual downloading speed is practically nill. On a super rare day I can download at a speed of 0.17 but usually the speed is a/b 0.03.

Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

I know one thing for sure. What is offered here is pathetic. But it's the only game in town :-) just as probably planned.

Cheers,

Keoki

You are correct Jiu-Jitsu.

I was commenting on the difference b/t an Vodafone AirCard w/ Edge softward vs a 1,2, Call as it is described by the computer icon at the bottom of my screen.

My actual downloading speed is practically nill. On a super rare day I can download at a speed of 0.17 but usually the speed is a/b 0.03.

Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

I know one thing for sure. What is offered here is pathetic. But it's the only game in town :-) just as probably planned.

Cheers,

Keoki

Have you tried the rather expensive CAT CDMA EV-DO Rev. A?