Caling From The Uk To Thailand

TexasRanger

Hi,

The wife and I will be spending Christmas in the UK but she needs to call her Dad daily since he has recently lost his wife.

Can anyone offer an idea of the most reasonable way of calling from a mobile or landline that won't be extremely expensive? I know we can use Skype etc, but may not have internet access at all times.

I have a UK vodafone mobile but assume the charges will be daylight robbery. Any help or info will be much appreciated.

Thanks

TR

Open an account with Rebtel: http://www.rebtel.com/ They will create a local UK number for your wife's Thai number which you can then use to make calls using either your mobile or a landline. You pay 1.9 US Cent a minute to Rebtel via your credit card or by using Paypal plus the cost of the local call in the UK.

I live in the Netherlands and have used their service to call Thalland for a couple of years now and can definitiely recommend them. The line is always crystal clear and you don't need a computer to make calls.

Hi, my family always use this : http://www.telesavers.co.uk/ from the UK

charges are 1p per minute to landline or mobile.

All the info is on the website - very easy to use.

:jap:

Hope this helps

:)

In similar vein and if you have access to a cheap UK landline, try 'Phonecheap'. 08442009898. No need to register - just call them first before calling Thailand (0066 followed by the Thai number omitting the Thai number's antecedent zero). Phonecheap's number costs your host's landline bill half a p (0.235 baht) per minute plus a per call connection charge of a few p - it makes no difference whether your call is to a Thai landline or Thai mobile. That makes it a very cheap (for non-Skype-to-Skype) route if you are calling for more than say 8 minutes at a time. Have used this for over 3 years when in the UK. It's generally reliable but you can get occasional cut-offs or bad signals (one in ten I would estimate). Try and find a friend in the UK who has free evening (or anytime) landline calls so that the all-up cost will only be that half a p per minute plus connection. Otherwise UK landline evening calls are not that expensive anyway - the major UK landline providers load their cost onto fixed charges and away from per call charges

You can also call that number from a mobile - but your mobile provider will regard this as a premium call (ie not available within the 'free minutes' packages that many UK mobile providers sell) and it will therefore cost anything from 5 to 10p a minute. Still a useful standby if you just want to make a quick 'hello I'm ok' call.

If you are going to buy a SIM or rent a mobile when in the UK then check out whether there are any options that include Skype to Go - the call goes from your mobile then over the internet free. No idea whether available or not economically for short-time visitors to the UK though.

Edited by SantiSuk

Hi

I signed up for a Rebtel account, when I call the local number from the UK (the one they provide to me), will it just conect straight through or do I have to type in my phone number or pin every time?

Cheers

Open an account with Rebtel: http://www.rebtel.com/ They will create a local UK number for your wife's Thai number which you can then use to make calls using either your mobile or a landline. You pay 1.9 US Cent a minute to Rebtel via your credit card or by using Paypal plus the cost of the local call in the UK.

I live in the Netherlands and have used their service to call Thalland for a couple of years now and can definitiely recommend them. The line is always crystal clear and you don't need a computer to make calls.

Hi

I signed up for a Rebtel account, when I call the local number from the UK (the one they provide to me), will it just conect straight through or do I have to type in my phone number or pin every time?

Cheers

Your call goes straight through to the person you are calling. No need to type anything.

If you want a mobile then I use a pay as you go sim from Orange on the dolphin plan (I think) you get the sim free from and orange shop and when you register it tell them you want the cheap international calls package. 8p/min from UK to Thailand, but don't use it for UK calls as they are expensive.

Rab