A Woman Of Bangkok

dutchguest

"A woman of Bangkok" is the title of a book I recently read, written by Jack Reynolds. First print in England 1956, so I think it is describing the situation in Thailand in the beginning of the 50's. A lot of things have changed since but what struck me more is that in a way nothing has changed.

It describes the adventures of an expat from England send out to Thailand. In those days, before the emancipation/feminism/sexual freedom movements in the west, sexual morals were still much more victorian and calvinistic in the west then today (a taboo to talk about sex, no sex before marrying, sex only for reproduction, not for pleasure), while in Thailand not so much has changed in this respect (nothing wrong with sex, it is a natural fenomenon). So the contrast and the cultureshock were even bigger then today.

The book can be called a classic, also because it focusses mainly on the bar/girlscene and the possible tensions between love and money, romantic ideas of love from the western side and a more pragmatic attitude from the eastern side. So a subject that has lost nothing of its actuality.

The book also gives a nice impression of Thailand in the days before globalisation, television, internet etc., so I can recommand it. I don't know if it can be bought new, but I bought it in a second-hand bookshop in Chiang Mai.

sexual morals were still much more victorian and calvinistic in the west then today (a taboo to talk about sex, no sex before marrying, sex only for reproduction, not for pleasure), while in Thailand not so much has changed in this respect (nothing wrong with sex, it is a natural fenomenon). So the contrast and the cultureshock were even bigger then today.

It has changed a lot in the West since 1950, that is true.

1950, you could come to prison for many kinds of sexual "offences". In Thailand one would just lough about the reasons.

2010, you still can come to prison for (different) sexual "offences". Just see the prosecution of Julian Assange.

In Thailand one would laugh about it.

In some ways Thailand and Thai people are much more emancipated and free then in the western world. This is i.m.o. one of the main reasons why so many westerners visit Thailand.

The focus in this respect is often on sexual freedom and especially on the sexindustry, but also in business woman still play a dominant role in Thailand and are generally much more emancipated then their western sisters who only rather recently are beginning to come out of their traditional kitchen. A quote from an article from CPAmedia to substantiate this assertion:

Accordingly, many people--including, perhaps, not a few Thais--would be surprised to learn that commerce has been a traditionally female domain in Thailand from pre-modern times, and that even in the late 20th century Southeast Asian countries top the comparative statistics for world-wide female participation in trade and marketing.

In these stakes, Thailand leads the entire world with an impressive 56%. This can be compared with other Southeast Asian countries such as the Philippines (51%), Burma (47%) and Cambodia (46%), all countries where women have traditionally held a high degree of economic autonomy. At the other end of the scale are the predominantly Islamic countries of the Middle East, where female participation in commerce is often as low as 1-5%. The developed, post-industrial countries of the West come somewhere in between. So far so good--but why should this be? And how long has it been going on?

The whole article can be read here:

http://www.cpamedia.com/culture/thai_women_commerce/

Historically this can be explained by the fact that traditionally in Thailand inheritance is in the female line. This means woman have a big responsability concerning earning money. A quote from an article in the Chiang Mai Citylife:

I spoke to Ajarn Suriya Smutkupt, an anthropologist with a previous post at Korat University in Isaan...

"So why is the Thai dowry paid to the woman whereas the rest of world does it, or did it, differently?" I asked him, sitting atop a stool in a room stacked full of books and newspapers. Speaking English impeccably well he replied, "Land in Thailand is usually taken care of by the woman, or inherited by the woman. It is usual for the man to move in with her family after marriage, whereas in Western and Chinese cultures the woman will move in with the man and he will take care of her and the land. She will pay to be part of his wealth and his family status. Thailand is the opposite.

This might explain the difference in dowry practice." Suriya went on to say,

The complete article can be read here:

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=1650

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...