Wheelchair Rental In Phuket ?

Buddhaful

My Brother and I will be taking my Mother who is in a wheelchair to Thailand in February 2011,she has never been before(or any where like it) but we have been a few times and we're very familiar what it's like. I have read some of the older thread's about wheelchair rentals in Thailand and I'm wondering if any one knows of wheelchair rentals these day's and specifically "all terrain wheelchairs" to access the beach? or if you know of any hotels that offer them will be much appreciated.

Sadly, Phuket is not suitable for people in wheelchairs. The footpaths (sidewalks) are high with large steps down to the road, because of the wet season.

Lots of those footpaths and roads are cracked and/or uneven. Again because of the rain in wet season most restaurants and bar have high steps to enter.

If climate is the reason you intend coming, I would suggest North Queensland, Australia. Climate much the same but wheelchair-friendly.

All the best.

Ignore Bob, he is negative about everything in Phuket, and seems to think it his his job to jump in with posts like this wherever he can.

However, he is not completely wrong, curbs and footpaths here can pose some difficulty for wheelchairs, but this does not stop many disabled from getting around perfectly well even in the middle of Patong.

The other night I saw an unaccompanied guy in an electric chair zooming around the beach end of Thanon Saratdirack Rd where access to the beach is very easy via a ramp. The restaurant I was sitting in at the time was very accessable.

I've seen many people here in chairs both electric or pushed.

Sorry, not very helpful about where to hire them.

Edited by Old Croc

I believe there is a wheelchair place in Phuket town, but I don't know where or if they rent.

Your mother is in a wheelchair now, why not bring it?

Airlines are very accommodating with carrying them on their aircraft, although they will use their own chairs through airports

Edited by Old Croc