Honda Phantom Wikipedia Article - Seeking Input From Thailand!

Kalyan

Hi Guys,

Old thread but very helpful.

Just recently, the bike has been harder to start. Took it in and got the spark plug replaced. He bled the fuel line and replaced the air filter.

Now I need to use the choke all the time and maybe have to kick it 10 times before it starts. Before this, no problems at all. one kick and it started.

Changed the engine oil also. any tips please as the mechanic doesnt seem to know. (big surprise).

many thanks,

Sounds like the mixture is too weak. Could be caused by blocked jets in the carb, blocked fuel filter, air leak between carb and cylinder head manifold or airbox. Air adjustment screw on the carb has loosened out.

Hi Guys,

Old thread but very helpful.

Just recently, the bike has been harder to start. Took it in and got the spark plug replaced. He bled the fuel line and replaced the air filter.

Now I need to use the choke all the time and maybe have to kick it 10 times before it starts. Before this, no problems at all. one kick and it started.

Changed the engine oil also. any tips please as the mechanic doesnt seem to know. (big surprise).

many thanks,

Sounds like the mixture is too weak. Could be caused by blocked jets in the carb, blocked fuel filter, air leak between carb and cylinder head manifold or airbox. Air adjustment screw on the carb has loosened out.

Thanks for that.

Anyone got a book on the 150 cc 2-stroke Phantom. I would love to start to address these problems myself. I need a new hobby.

thanks.

I am pretty pissed off with my Phantom, it is currently going through a second complete rebuild inside a month, the first being due to 4 anti-vibration gearbox rubbers that disintegrated and blocked the oil pump. The second was due to the same, when all the debris wasn't cleaned out properly.

These were replaced by some (4) inferior grade rubbers (fitted during the 1st rebuild). due to the unavailability of the real Honda part, the alternative being 10,000 baht price tag on the gearbox front section. Does anyone know if this is this the case?

With very poor performance especially in the hills, I have started to look at alternatives, but struggle to find one, what I did fancy was a Royal Enfield 350 or 500, with a lot of grunt for climbing hills, but not available here. So was thinking about getting a 350cc engine from India and installing it in the Phantom frame, this would transform the hill climbing with torque figures of 28N/M @ 4000rpm compared to 16N/M @ 6500rpm for the Phantom. Plus it would sound like a real bike. Has anyone done anything similar?

Edited by AllanB

I am pretty pissed off with my Phantom, it is currently going through a second complete rebuild inside a month, the first being due to 4 anti-vibration gearbox rubbers that disintegrated and blocked the oil pump. The second was due to the same, when all the debris wasn't cleaned out properly.

These were replaced by some (4) inferior grade rubbers (fitted during the 1st rebuild). due to the unavailability of the real Honda part, the alternative being 10,000 baht price tag on the gearbox front section. Does anyone know if this is this the case?

With very poor performance especially in the hills, I have started to look at alternatives, but struggle to find one, what I did fancy was a Royal Enfield 350 or 500, with a lot of grunt for climbing hills, but not available here. So was thinking about getting a 350cc engine from India and installing it in the Phantom frame, this would transform the hill climbing with torque figures of 28N/M @ 4000rpm compared to 16N/M @ 6500rpm for the Phantom. Plus it would sound like a real bike. Has anyone done anything similar?

it would be more hassle than its worth to import and put a 350 or 500 cc engine in a phantom 200 frame

you would be just safer buying a bike with bigger engine for too many reasons to list

+ you could never sell the bike if the engine number didnt match the book etc