Wifey To Blighty

OK, I'm taking 'er indoors to the UK for a 2 week Christmas holiday with my 5 year old Daughter, both Thai Passport Holders, I'm from UK. Here is the paperwork I've arranged so far:

Passports!!!

Downloaded the visa application form from the UK embassy, filled them in.

Marriage Certificate (Need translating??)

Kid's birth certificate (Need translating??)

Wifey's bank book copies from past 2 months (nice and healthy)

Letter written by my Mum confirming we'll be staying with her for 2 weeks.

Anything else I need?

Is it best to apply by post or standing line at the embassy and be treated like crap for a morning?

Also I've a 6 month old son who won't be going as he's too young, do I need to mention that.

I've arranged some flights, but don't want to pa for them until I get the visas I need otherwise a load of money will be wasted.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Just an add-on couple of questions,

When wife gets to UK immigration, can you as her husband and with child go through the same gate as her, or is it strictly "foreign passports" and "British passports" queues no matter what?

If the child (or baby) has a UK passport as well as a Thai one, I assume he is best to leave Thailand on the Thai passport and enter the UK on the British one...going through the British Passports queue with father?

Terdsak 12,

As you have downloaded the application form, I assume you have also read

Guidance - Visitors (INF 2)

Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3)

In addition to those you have listed you should also submit:-

Proof of the relationship; letters or utility bills addressed to each or both of you.

Do you or your wife work? If so, a letter from the employer granting leave of absence and confirming that the job will be held for you/her for when you return.

Evidence of your financial position; bank statements, proof of income etc. for at least the last 6 months.

Details of the accommodation offered by your mum, number of rooms etc. If she owns the property then proof of this, if she rents then a letter from the landlord confirming that they have no objections to you staying there.

Yes, you should mention your son, even though he is not travelling, and what arrangements you have made for his care while you are away.

All documents in Thai should be accompanied by a certified English translation.

You can submit the application by post, but unless all the supporting documents are submitted with the application you will definitely not get a short interview. I would not want to entrust important documents such as passports to the Thai postal system, so I would recommend submitting the application and all documents in person.

Carl,

At UK immigration your wife cannot go through the UK and EU gate unless she has a British or EU passport. You can, however, join her in the non-EU queue. (BTW, if she has ILR then most IOs will let her through the UK/EU gate if you ask them nicely.)

For the child I would use the Thai passport to leave and enter Thailand and the UK one to leave and enter the UK. However, you will need to show both to the airline check-in to show that the child is in the country legally and can legally enter at the other end, otherwise they may refuse to carry him/her.

Seems a bit over the top, my Mum's not going to send her house deed saying she owns a house or include a diagram outlining how many rooms there are.

We both run a mulit million Baht car export company, with healthy accouts to show, I'll get copies of my bank book too.

Sounds like I'll have to queue up and have orders barked at me by the Gurkers!!!!

Seems a bit over the top, my Mum's not going to send her house deed saying she owns a house or include a diagram outlining how many rooms there are.

A copy of these is sufficient. If she has a mortgage, the mortgage company will make the copies (i think it is £17). Just tell them what you are doing and they will know (mine did anyway). It's just to prove that the wife will have somewhere to stay whilst in the UK. I.E. if your mother has a 2 bedroom flat and 3 kids, then there is clearly no room for you and your wife. If she lives in a 4 bedroom detached on her own, then presto, there is indeed sufficient room for you both.

MrBoJ

Edited by mrbojangles

From Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3) What evidence can I supply?
If you are offering to provide support and accommodation, or to pay for travel to the UK, you must provide evidence of your ability to do so. The following would be helpful.

A letter of sponsorship giving details of your occupation and salary and how you will provide support and accommodation for the applicant. There is no need to have this letter certified (in other words, signed) before a solicitor or commissioner for oaths to confirm it is genuine.

I have highlighted the parts relevant to your mum.

A simple letter describing the property, who else will be living or staying there and confirming that she owns it may be sufficient, but proof of ownership is also a good idea. As Mr.BJ says, a copy of the deeds will do.

Up to you, but, as I've said elsewhere, I work on the principle that it is better to provide something they don't want than not to provide something that they do.

Edited by GU22

I would suspect that proof of Terdsak's business and marriage plus a letter from his mother and his passport will be sufficient proof to obtain a visit visa in this instance. Terdsak, has your wife been to the UK before? Also, it is likely that your children may qualify for UK passports which can aid the travelling process.

Carl Bkk,

Whether your wife uses the British/EU channel at UK immigration is at the discretion of the immigration officer. If your wife possesses a settlement visa, providing his queue is not busy, he will more than likely consent to seeing your wife.

Scouse.

I suspect, Scouse, that we are saying the same thing in different ways, except I still think it would be a good idea for Terdsak's mum to provide proof of ownership, if possible, just in case they ask for it (they probably wont).

Carl Bkk,

Whether your wife uses the British/EU channel at UK immigration is at the discretion of the immigration officer. If your wife possesses a settlement visa, providing his queue is not busy, he will more than likely consent to seeing your wife.

An IO at LHR told me that if she has ILR she will almost certainly be allowed through the UK/EU queue, if a SV then possibly, but if it's her first entry then she must join the Foreign Passports queue. Was he mistaken?

Academic in our case, as my wife now has a British passport.

Thanks for all the replies so far, I got my letter off my Mum today which should work, at the end of the day we've got a decent business going, are married, and are leaving our son behind, odds are on that we'll return.

Plus I've supplied Embassy personel with a few motors over the years, that should help!!!!!

An IO at LHR told me that if she has ILR she will almost certainly be allowed through the UK/EU queue, if a SV then possibly, but if it's her first entry then she must join the Foreign Passports queue. Was he mistaken?

It really is dependent upon how the IO feels on the day. On the Brit/EU queue they possess all the equipment they need to see foreign nationals. In the "old days", yes, someone arriving for the first time would definately have been referred to the "others" queue but nowadays, when IOs do nothing more than endorse the passport with a date stamp, there is no particular reason why the passenger shouldn't approach the "blue" desk. Of course he/she may get the curmudgeonly IO who tells them to bugger off, but that's the luck of the draw.

Scouse.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got my visa no real problems, sent 'er indoors down by herself, they asked her a few questions for 5 minutes, she answered competently, and told her to come back today, and then she picked up her's and my kids passport, 6 months visa no worries.

Thanks for the tips fellas.

I haven't been home on 12 years, bit worried really!!!!

Well, got my visa no real problems, sent 'er indoors down by herself, they asked her a few questions for 5 minutes, she answered competently, and told her to come back today, and then she picked up her's and my kids passport, 6 months visa no worries.

Thanks for the tips fellas.

I haven't been home on 12 years, bit worried really!!!!

Take plenty of money - things are horribly expensive and thats before you hire a car and need to fill it up......

I'll have no motor, unfortunately, I'll be staying with family for most of the time, but a few days in London, got a budget of 1,500 quid for 18 days, should be enough????? Only beer money basically.

Well done with the Visa.

£1500 will go for sure, especially when it's nearly £3 a pint, some places more!! :o

Rj

I'll have no motor, unfortunately, I'll be staying with family for most of the time, but a few days in London, got a budget of 1,500 quid for 18 days, should be enough????? Only beer money basically.

1500 should be enough - the good thing of course is that they cant go shopping because nothing fits them - p**sed my GF off big time that nothing fitted :o , but then she found the bed linen department at Selfridges :D and more than made up for what clothes she could not buy....

the good thing of course is that they cant go shopping because nothing fits them - p**sed my GF off big time that nothing fitted 

I was talking about this with a friend a couple of months ago. He says his Mrs goes to "Tammy Girl" or something like that and you don't pay VAT on kiddies clothes :o

unless shes a migdget or something then there are plenty of places that sell clothes for little people. Next, top shop, debenhams all have clothes for people who are small. If she is also flat chested then the kids departments should have plenty of choice.

unless shes a migdget or something then there are plenty of places that sell clothes for little people. Next, top shop, debenhams all have clothes for people who are small. If she is also flat chested then the kids departments should have plenty of choice.

I will not be passing on that advice to the beloved - ignorance is bliss and helps my wallet no end.....

:D better an unhappy lady for a couple of days than an unhealthy bank balance which will take alot longer to restore :D I'm not surprised that she liked the linen in the UK Rigger. I never went back to LOS without a fresh supply of decent & reasonabily priced linen as the stuff sold in Thai shops, even the expensive stuff, wasn't a patch on what you can buy in the UK. More colours, more choice, better quality & no itchy polyester mix :o Polyester in that heat!!!!!!!!!