Making Work Calls From Thailand?

DudeNo1

I'm going to try spending a month in Thailand to test out working overseas. Basically, all I need is phone and email. I have an unlocked iPhone4, so I was thinking of getting a local 3G sim card and doing my email off the iPhone or iPad, and using the RingCentral for iPhone app for making calls. The app can also do VoIP over 3G and WiFi. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this, and my questions are as follows:

- will 3G work in Bangkok, Phuket and Chiang Mai, and where will it not work?

- what's the best 3G sim card to get (that will work with iOS 4.2.1)?

- will RingCentral work fine for calls with the RingOut feature, or should I use VoIP with RingCentral, or should I forget RingCentral and get a regular VoIP adapter and hook it up to the hotel's high-speed internet with a regular ethernet cable?

- anything else I'm forgetting?

Thanks guys! :)

Have no idea about Ringout.

3G is available in BKK and other locations via TRUE.

I think ToT has 3G as well, but not really tourist friendly. I could be wrong.

We use DTAC and only have EDGE network.

2011 holds promise for 3G in Thailand, but we thought the same thing in 2009, 2010 rolleyes.gif

Enjoy your visit.

Thanks, so if you're not familiar with RingCentral, what would you recommend for making calls? Have you tried Skype with 3G or something, or should I just get a regular VoIP adapter?

I cannot get Skype to work over 3G. Even sitting next to the transmitter, literally in the 3G store of AIS, it wouldn't work. I use Cydia app that allows Skype over 3G, but it wouldn't work. You can get some thing from the US that expats here in Thailand seem to love. It is a VOIP adapter but I can't remember the name. But, Skype works great over wifi here on my iPhones 3 and 4. So you could do that. If you get a True SIM, you can get a package that has free wifi throughout Bangkok and the larger cities, such as Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai. The signal is ok, so you could possibly try that.

Thanks, so if you're not familiar with RingCentral, what would you recommend for making calls? Have you tried Skype with 3G or something, or should I just get a regular VoIP adapter?

Seems many people use Skype.

Are they generally having a positive experience - i.e. are there any sound quality issues or delays in hearing the other person?

RingCentral just confirmed their iPhone app will work in Thailand. Apparently fantastic voice quality, no lag and no need for 3G or any sort of high-speed internet. I tested it here North America and it works great! If you don't see a post here in a week from me bitching and moaning, assume they weren't lying. :D