Former Thai Rak Thai Deputy Leader Sudarat Makes Good Use Of Free Time

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Sudarat makes good use of free time

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_17308.jpg

Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, former deputy leader of the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai (TRT) party, has faded out of politics for quite a long time. The Nation's general-news editor Chularat Saengpassa talked to her in a bid to find out what this highly capable woman has in mind for the future.

What have you been doing during the past three years?

I have done charity work. As a second-class citizen, I am not allowed to engage in politics.

By the way, I have many things to do. Firstly, I have the Thai Pheung Thai Foundation to take care of. I established this foundation in 1997 so as to help people with their occupations during the financial crisis. Most of the foundation's work is in Greater Bangkok. Secondly, I have arranged a charity project to provide free eye surgery and heart operations for patients. I expect to help 600 patients this year. Thirdly, I set up the Building Thailand's Future Institute because I think my experience should be useful. The institute has focused on economic issues including the value of the baht.

In addition, I have tried to stop brawling among vocational students. I have seriously pursued this work since vocational students accidentally shot dead a Prathom 3 student in an area where I was elected as an MP. Since September, I have worked with the Private Vocational School Association to end such problems. There are seminars and camps for vocational students to attend.

Vocational students who work with me have helped flood victims, fixing electrical appliances damaged by floods and agricultural machinery. They are repairing flooded houses too.

I also have more time for my family. I can take care of my dad and I can cook for my children. Fulfilling the role of a mother makes me a happier person.

We've heard you took a painting class?

I like painting. This hobby is good for me because it eases my hot-headed temper. Painting boosts my concentration and slows me down.

Have you played any role in the Pheu Thai Party?

I haven't played any role since the People Power Party won the election. But of course, I have still kept in touch with people I know in the political arena. I don't want to cause any conflict and so I don't get in there.

As an outsider, how do you see Thai politics these days?

It's exhausting if the conflicts persist. In my opinion, each side should make a sacrifice and step back. All political groups regardless of their colour must put national interest before anything. It's time for them all to take a step back. In addition, laws should be fairly enforced. Double standards will only widen rifts in society and hurt the country's economy.

People who cite the monarchy for their political advantage must stop doing so, while anti-monarchists must stop their activities too. Legal action should be taken against these people.

Should the five-year political ban on 111 TRT executives be lifted?

No, because that would only worsen the conflict in the country. I don't say I am guilty or anything. But I just think I should make some sacrifices. Lifting the ban will only allow some groups to rally for their political benefit.

Besides, the ban will expire in 2012 anyway. It's not too long to wait.

Do you agree with the amnesty laws and bail for detained red-shirt leaders?

Justice should be done. The public deserves to know how 91 people died during the [red-shirts' anti-government] rally. Those who pulled the trigger must be brought to justice.

[And] it's not good for the government to detain innocent people when there's no clear evidence against them.

The country will be preparing for the general election next year. What do you think about this?

If parties to the conflict do not stop, turmoil will continue. Many people are now worried the government may not want to really pursue reconciliation because for as long as unrest persists, the government will enjoy various forms of privilege such as budget. This is at the expense of the people, though.

It takes the government leader's sincerity to restore peace. The general election alone cannot bring back peace. I don't call for an amnesty. I just think laws must be enforced fairly. With just legal enforcement, the country will move ahead towards peace.

Is Thaksin Shinawatra a party to the conflict?

I think all parties to the conflict know their role. They need to talk. Now, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has two options - sticking to power or removing an impasse for the country. It depends on him as to whether the country will be able to move toward peace.

In times of continuing unrest, the Democrat Party is the best option and it has now enjoyed many privileges. But this is not good for the country. As the government leader, Abhisit must decide what he will do for the country. To me, I think he has the power to tackle the impasse and embrace reconciliation but he has not yet done it.

I want to see a peaceful election and a peaceful post-election period.

If the country's politics remain in a special mode, will you jump back into the scene?

I will not step in if I think the circumstances will not allow me to help people. Even though I am not in politics, I can still work for people and for the country. If the circumstances are not appropriate, I won't wade into politics. I have never sought profit from being a politician.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-03

If unbridled greed has a face, it is hers.

Duly chastised (sigh) - another hope I thought for Thailand dashed... (sniff). Is there anyone in this country apart from the PM who is clean of corruption? blink.gif

Edited by asiawatcher

Have you played any role in the Pheu Thai Party?

I haven't played any role since the People Power Party won the election. But of course, I have still kept in touch with people I know in the political arena. I don't want to cause any conflict and so I don't get in there.

BS from one of the dirtiest politician out there. She's always been right in the thick of things.

UDD leader admits protest funds come from Thaksin

Published: 18/05/2010 at 12:00 AM

A United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship leader has admitted the red shirt rally has received financial support from ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, the former deputy leader of the dissolved Thai Rak Thai party .

"I accept that Thaksin himself and some politicians, including Khunying Sudarat, have given us financial support, as have other donors, but I don't know how much they've donated," UDD co-leader Jaran Dithapichai said on the Ratchaprasong rally stage last night.

Faction fights wrack Pheu Thai Party

Democrat figures recently challenged the opposition Pheu Thai Party to find a new leader to compete against Abhisit Vejjajiva for the premiership in the next election. That looks unlikely to happen in the near future.

Pheu Thai has been reluctant to change its leader, mainly due to hesitation by fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, its de-facto leader.

Finding a new party leader has been long delayed although earlier there were a number of candidates who appeared to be “right” in the eyes of Thaksin. These included retired police general Kowit Wattana, who served as Interior minister in the Samak Sundaravej government.

However, shortly before the recent selection of a new leader, some Pheu Thai politicians met Thaksin overseas and gave him some information about Kowit.

As a result, non-MP leader Yongyuth Wichaidit, who had earlier stepped down, was supported by colleagues to become leader again. It is widely believed he is holding the post on a temporary basis till being replaced by someone capable of running to be premier.

Recently, marketing guru-turned-politician Mingkwan Sangsuwan presented himself as a candidate. He won support from many party factions, including those led by Yongyuth Tiyapairat, Sudarat Keyuraphan, and another former leadership candidate Apiwan Wiriyachai.

Apiwan, a deputy House speaker, clearly backed Mingkwan, saying as other candidates like Chavalit Yongchaiyudh and Chalerm Yoobamrung had said they would not contest for the post, there was only Mingkwan left “and I support him”.

However, Thaksin put a brake on Mingkwan’s ambition, saying via video at a recent meeting of Pheu Thai MPs it was “not time”.

“I must thank Mingkwan Sangsuwan for presenting himself as a candidate. Expressing views is a good thing for any political party. But it is not time now to vote for the party’s prime ministerial candidate. It could cause problems, because in the Pheu Thai Party there are as many as six people who are suitable to become prime minister,” Thaksin said.

Mingkwan was reportedly so concerned he skipped a party seminar in Chiang Mai over the weekend and flew instead to Dubai to meet Thaksin.

Former candidates like Chalerm and Sudarat, who have been at odds, recently withdrew from the race to be party chief. Indeed, Sudarat is said to have arranged for registration of a new political party.

A source close to her said Sudarat had become “uncomfortable” with problems in Pheu Thai in regard to the lack of unity and “too many political games”. Factions, which are region-based, have been fighting fiercely to dominate the party by having funds for other regions slashed substantially, according to the source.

Factions from the North and Northeast received the lion’s share of party’s funds, while Sudarat’s Bangkok faction has been largely ignored. She is also dissatisfied with too much intervention by Thaksin’s relatives from the Shinawatra family.

Sudarat talked with Thaksin about her concerns and was instructed to find a substitute party in case Pheu Thai is dissolved. Thaksin’s Thai Rak Thai Party and his proxy People Power Party were both disbanded after being found guilty of electoral fraud. Sudarat recently had a close aide to register a new party with the Election Commission, according to the source. It begs the question: why was this done?

So the struggle to become Pheu Thai’s next premier continues. But one thing is certain: it’s up to Thaksin.

The Nation 2010-11-03

Chalerm urges unity, blocks out Sudarat

BANGKOK: -- Chalerm Yoobamrung, chief MP of the opposition Pheu Thai Party, is calling for unity among party MPs even though he seems to be furious with party adviser Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan for allegedly interfering in the party.

The veteran politician said it was difficult enough for the Pheu Thai MPs to fight against the ruling Democrat Party without having internal problems.

"We are engaged in a war now and should avoid fighting among ourselves. It would be better us to form an army that is united. Fighting the Democrats is difficult enough already," he said.

After the Tuesday meeting, the outspoken politician accused Sudarat - who was banned from politics after the dissolution of the Thai Rak Thai Party - of interfering in Pheu Thai's affairs and blocking his chance of obtaining a senior executive post in the party.

Sudarat is close to former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who has retained his influence among Pheu Thai politicians.

When asked if he would speak to Sudarat directly about the matter, Chalerm retorted: "Sudarat who? Who is she? I don't want to talk to her, or I may get jailed. She is not allowed to be involved in politics."

The Nation 2010-02-04

Should the five-year political ban on 111 TRT executives be lifted?

No, because that would only worsen the conflict in the country. I don't say I am guilty or anything. But I just think I should make some sacrifices.

I didn't do anything wrong, but I still should be punished. :wacko::blink:

You obviously dont know Khun Sudaraat....check into some history and who she is etc

Point me to a link - love to check ... or were the words spoken in this interview a front?

Her Bird Flu lies and cover-up as Thaksin's cabinet minister is but one of the many areas to begin with.

Edited by Buchholz

You obviously dont know Khun Sudaraat....check into some history and who she is etc

Point me to a link - love to check ... or were the words spoken in this interview a front?

Her Bird Flu lies and cover-up as Thaksin's cabinet minister is but one of the many areas to begin with.

It seems she is still in the tick of it then even at arms length on the surface. Live and learn!

So much verbal diarrhoea. This ladies reputation in the minds of many was that she was one of the most avaricious and acquisitive of Thaksin's coterie. There were allegations of corruption in the acquisition of land on Koh Samui but an investigation by Yongyuth Tiyapairat, to nobody's surprise, cleared her of wrong doing. One of her more creditable achievements in my book is that she is a sworn enemy of Chalerm and prevented the breakup of BKK into three separate entities with Chalern ruling over one of them. She has to date prevented the entry of the murderous Chalerm offspring from entering politics.

Quote:-

When asked if he would speak to Sudarat directly about the matter, Chalerm retorted: "Sudarat who? Who is she? I don't want to talk to her, or I may get jailed."

Unquote

Now there's a thought. . Alas, tis only wishful thinking.

I don't know much about her but her answer to

Neatly avoided the Question Well not to neatly at all blatantly would be a better word.

Just another run of the mill politician. Afraid to take a stand.:whistling::violin:

I don't know much about her but her answer to

Neatly avoided the Question Well not to neatly at all blatantly would be a better word.

Just another run of the mill politician. Afraid to take a stand.:whistling::violin:

I would just clarify that she is beyond run of the mill.

Her many shenanigans over the years puts her in the league near the top of the worse of the worse.