Dogs With A Rope Tied Around Their Necks

A few times now when out in rural areas I have seen dogs that have a rope tied around their necks and attached to the rope ive seen large pieces of wood and in some cases many empty plastic water bottles , these dogs are just wondering around the soi's dragging the things behind them, it looks very uncomfortable for the dog . Ive asked a few Thai people why do the dogs have the ropes tied around their necks , but so far no one has come up with an answer. Every time I see one of these poor dog's dragging the lumps of wood along, it makes me want to just cut the rope off, but of course theirs all ways the danger of being bitten.

Has any one else seen this sad sight , and does any one know why its done to the dog ? :(

TL :jap:

Ive seen this on several occasions , I don't really understand the logic behind it , next time I see one I will take a photograph ,its a sad thing to see for sure , the poor dog wandering around having to pull a lump of wood about . :(

TL :jap:

Having nearly been bitten on numerous occassions by waifs and strays, wild dogs to i cant help but think them being tied to a rope is a good thing, given that its done in the correct manor,one would never encourage animal cruelty,but the presence of literally 100 s of dangerous dogs everywhere which is what i see daily/nightly is a tad disturbing also.

This type of thing is done in the UK to train dogs which fight,ie to strengthen the neck etc etc,but i can hardly see this being the case here,maybe it has been done to slow them down to stop them from coming at people,either way its a pretty shitty thing to be doing :unsure:

Edited by stoneyboy

hunh, no never seen that before, where are you at?

I am staying at a friends house in Khon Buri , before I leave I hope to get a shot of the other dog that's roaming around near my friends house

this one has a longer rope around its neck and it has many water bottles tied to the rope , and the pooor dog has to drag them along as it walks

about . My Friends Thai wife say's she thinks the rope and wood is some sort of deterrent to stop the dog from wandering away from its home.

TL

I've seen almost exactly that what is as depicted in your photo. I stopped and called the dog & we cut it off. No sooner had we done it and an old guy came running out from a little hut and my told us the dog was no good. The dog took off when it saw him & so did we, I really wanted to have a go at him (assuming he tied the wood to the dog) but I knew it would upset the 'handbrake':rolleyes: .

In the last couple of week i have had to take a couple of soi dogs to the vet, one had its tail almost severeed. The vet was of the opinion it had been cut with a knife. Cruelty to animals doesnt seem to rate much here :angry: .

I've seen almost exactly that what is as depicted in your photo. I stopped and called the dog & we cut it off. No sooner had we done it and an old guy came running out from a little hut and my told us the dog was no good. The dog took off when it saw him & so did we, I really wanted to have a go at him (assuming he tied the wood to the dog) but I knew it would upset the 'handbrake':rolleyes: .

In the last couple of week i have had to take a couple of soi dogs to the vet, one had its tail almost severeed. The vet was of the opinion it had been cut with a knife. Cruelty to animals doesnt seem to rate much here :angry: .

Mahatma Ghandi once said, '' One can judge the state of a nation by the way it treats its animals''

Mahatma Ghandi once said, '' One can judge the state of a nation by the way it treats its animals''

I see, so a few people do this and the whole nation stands at fault. There are many Thais who are cruel to their animals and many Thais who are not, suggest that you look at the animal abuse in your own country as well when making these kinds of posts as I doubt that you will find zero cases and then, given this logic, your country is the same.

its a form of hobblying.... its done to horses donkeys and camels here. instead of just tieing the dog to a post, it just prevents them from wandering too far... donkeys are hobbled here usually by tying the two front legs together loosely; with horses it works less as they get frightened easily and run more, so would break their neckes... camels are also hobbled this way; have treated many with cuts from the wire (here, in the villages wire is usually used)htat sinks in to the flesh of the legs... but some owners prefer the wood/heavy object method, less cruel (animal can still fight off predators and get away easier, can search and reach food/water, but less likely to go very far.

this similar method seems to be the thai alternative to cable/chaining a dog to the yard area... which thais i know think is cruel to the dog. hubby is always wanting to release somebody's tied dog saying it is cruel to keep the dog tied up (even if done properly, for the dogs' sake).

bina

israel