Normal Bank Behaviour?

Wellington

My wife and I have, for five years,held current a/c's at the Kata Branch of The Ayudhya Bank.

We kept the a/c's and used them for monthly cash living expenses after we moved to Kathu a year ago.

By chance we passed the branch in Kata two weeks ago and I stopped for cash at the ATM

The bank was almost demolished, no-one there.

We discovered Monthly credits had been refused.

Neither of us had been notified ,either by mail/email/phone; We could have been seriously embarrassed

as our funds had dipped to almost 0, if we had tried to use our cards.

In other words our a/c's had been stopped.

We had to open new a/c's elsewhere.

Is this sort of cavalier behaviour common to Thai Banks?

It is normal that a savings account, at least one with little funds in it, is stopped after having been inactive for too long. When I was still living in Hua Hin, once I decided to revive a savings account which had been inactive for a long time. So armed with some cash I made my way to the Kasikorn Bank, where I was informed the account had been discontinued. But the 214 Baht that still had been in it, they handed over to me straight away. Once I agreed with a friend who went overseas for a long time, to keep his two bank accounts alive by transferring 500 Baht to both of them every 3 months.

Banks in Europe are doing the same thing though, inactive accounts with little money in it produce a loss for the bank, due to administration costs.

I had some accounts with the same bank branche. No problems, they just moved to a different location, the accounts were continued there.

No information by phone or email about the change though.

I had some accounts with the same bank branche. No problems, they just moved to a different location, the accounts were continued there.

You need to bring book to Karon branch, they stamp it and give you a new account number. IOW your old accountnumber is not valid any more, and they said I need to notify to whoever wants to transfer funds to me.

Had some minor language problems to understand why they where kicked out from Kata Center, but as they all have max 3 year leases on these small branches, I guess I know why

They did call me few weeks ago, same number 8 years now :)

You need to bring book to Karon branch, they stamp it and give you a new account number. IOW your old accountnumber is not valid any more, and they said I need to notify to whoever wants to transfer funds to me.

Had some minor language problems to understand why they where kicked out from Kata Center, but as they all have max 3 year leases on these small branches, I guess I know why

They did call me few weeks ago, same number 8 years now :)

As I said, no problems at all.