Netbook - Asus Or Toshiba

CharlieH

I have been looking to get a Netbook, I have narrowed the field down to either the Asus 1015 PE or the Toshiba NB305. has anyone got either of these and would like to give their opinion etc

Any feedback or comments/experiences on these two would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I bought an Asus Notebook this past November when I was in the states. I bought it the day before I flew back to Thailand. When I arrived I noticed one of the keys was a little loose, although it worked fine it made a slight noise when I typed. I went by the Asus repair center on Rama IV and they swapped it out with another English Only Keyboard on the spot. They were very helpful, fast and of course did not charge me a single Baht. I believe ASUS offers two year world wide warrenty on all there products, but you might want to check on your specific model.

3 Month ago I bought a Toshiba NB305. You get first class ergonomics. Keyboard and large trackpad are very good. The screen is crisp with good colors and the battery life is about 8:30 hours without activating the slow battery saving mode.

Of course it is a netbook, so you get a small 10 ich screen and a slow chip. Price was 13,900.- plus VAT. including Win 7 Starter.

Yes, the Mac netbook is very nice, but will set you back 35,000.- to 40,000.- .

Edited by Orita

If you type a lot, perhaps check out the NB305's keyboard.

To me it seems class leading, even better than the keyboard

on the new Mac Netbook.

The Lenovo Thinkpad X100e or the new Samsung NF208 might be

of some interest as well.

Edited by Orita

on the new Mac Netbook.

Thanks everyone, good suggestions so far, please keep em coming...:)

on the new Mac Netbook.

Thanks everyone, good suggestions so far, please keep em coming...:)

I have been shoping for a small portable netbook, but the 10 inch screens seemed a bit small, as well as the smaller keyboard, so I just today bought a Asus 1215N which has a slightly bigger screen [12in] and keyboard with dual core and I think I'll be happy with it for a travel and as an at home communication mate.

There are lots of rave reports on it and a recent local post on tv that I started to see what local opinions are on it may convince you.

give me a week on it and I'll give you my consumer report.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say let the netbooks die a well-deserved death. I recommend buying nothing less than an ultra-portable with a 13-inch screen, still portable enough and a much more useful computer in all respects. I have two computers at a work, a standard 15-inch Dell, and an HP netbook of too-small screen size (not sure of the number). You never know how much you'll dislike a netbook until you actually have to use one frequently. The only thing I like about the netbook is its battery life. Other than that, it fails in all other respects.

• 3 weeks later...

I am an APPLE user. But I decided to get a PC Netbook. Read all the reviews and had almost decided to get an ASUS or a SAMSUNG. Flew to BKK and went out to Fortune Tower. They all seemed to have about the same things inside them. Then I noticed another brand that had done well in many reviews. A new model out. Four colours to choose from on the case. Windows 7 starter and so on. I had a coffee. I wandered around. Cheap ones at 10K. This one 16K. But it looked worth it. More robust. More stylish. And those colours and wide keyboard.

Dear read. I went for it. Chocolate colour. What is it? TOSHIBA NB 520.

And now a week later I can say it is better than I ever dreamed. Fast and smooth in all ways. Ok the button to start is a bit awkward but that's about it. The rest is keeping me away from my APPLE. I have even found software to put a wallpaper on the screen cause the WINDOWS 7 STarter does not allow that. The ware did it.

It is a great machine so far and I recommend it highly. Even to the APPLE zealots. p.s. It has HArman/Kardon Speakers. The best I have ever heard on a laptop; no more headphones.