Elephant Crackdown

coma

Without getting a slanging match going here I would just like to ask if I may for my own information........

Has anyone notice that the problem of leading elephants into Chiang Mai city at night has been stop after the multiple 'unsavoury' incidents around Christmas/ New Years between Mahouts and tourist? Such as the assault of Australians Kingsley William 41 and Kim Kavanagh on Loi Kroh street in December.

Since these incidents I have not seen one elephant walking the streets. Or have I just been a good little boy and been back home in bed before they come out? :jap:

I asked a few locals down on Loh Kroh about the Aussie incident and they seemed to corroborate that the Mahout had a major substance abuse problem and became irate that the tourists took a picture and did not want to pay for the photo and when they protested the request the Mahout just wigged out.

One foot massage shop of workers seemed to suggest the guy was working a heroin and alcohol mixture and was crazy in the head.

I would have guessed it was YaBa but who knows without a test.

I can't imagine that's going to help the Elephant business at all.

Of the four guys originally charged, 3 had the charges dropped and the 4th one - maybe the drug crazed one, who knows was facing minor charges. considering the significant level of the assault this suggests that certain financial interests may have been involved, From the injured Australians' point of view, they appear to have at least succeeeded in having these mahouts and their poor captives removed. Time will tell whether this is permanent or a dust settling excersize!

<br />Of the four guys originally charged, 3 had the charges dropped and the 4th one - maybe the drug crazed one, who knows was facing minor charges. considering the significant  level of the assault this suggests that certain financial interests may have been involved, From the injured Australians'  point of view, they appear to have at least succeeeded in having these mahouts and their poor captives removed. Time will tell whether this is permanent or a dust settling excersize!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yup!

The whole story is on another site, www.mychiangmai.com

But to save you the bother, the young Aussie couple (he 26, she 31) were attacked because they were persuading other tourists not to support elephant street begging by giving cash to mahouts. He needed 6 stitches in his head thanks to one of those bloody (!!) metal hooks they use on the heads of their elephants! (Where does this nonsense about refusing to pay for photos come from? Aaaarrggghh!).

Girls from the Dragonfly and Cherry Bars rushed out to help the Aussies, and are reliable witnesses.

The CM Governor received a 100,000 signature petition against elephants being illegally used in CM city on Dec 24th, and on Dec 28th, police (with the support of the city council) ensured that mahouts and their 20+ elephants were sent packing back to Surin. Where the Governor sponsors monthly cash to keep them.

Long may they stay there in natural surroundings. Trouble is, their 'minders' won't be making 8000b plus per night like they were here.

Everyone - please sound the alarm if you see 'em back here!?

Also see www.theelephantsvoice.org

So which would you rather have a ride on... This was on Loi Kroh road.. The mahouts go away when the heat is on and return as soon as it dies down. Typical of all Thai policework.

My_bike_6.sized.jpg

I almost hit a small elephant a few weeks ago on a dark soi at night. Its trunk just brushed my arm as I went by between it and some soi dogs that were barking at it. The elephant retaliated towards the dogs just as I was going through.

So which would you rather have a ride on... This was on Loi Kroh road.. The mahouts go away when the heat is on and return as soon as it dies down. Typical of all Thai policework.

My_bike_6.sized.jpg

I almost hit a small elephant a few weeks ago on a dark soi at night. Its trunk just brushed my arm as I went by between it and some soi dogs that were barking at it. The elephant retaliated towards the dogs just as I was going through.

When was this pic taken exactly may I ask? Before or after the "Crackdown"

Some of these street elephants are chained up in random places during the day without food and water until the mahouts take them out for the evening. Had some friends wake up with one in their back yard last year. No water until they brought over a tub which it finished in seconds. Cops came to investigate but the elephant was tied up in another place the next day. Some mahouts probably take very good care of their animals but I would reckon the majority don't.

and on Dec 28th, police (with the support of the city council) ensured that mahouts and their 20+ elephants were sent packing back to Surin. Where the Governor sponsors monthly cash to keep them.

Long may they stay there in natural surroundings. Trouble is, their 'minders' won't be making 8000b plus per night like they were here.

Everyone - please sound the alarm if you see 'em back here!?

Also see www.theelephantsvoice.org

Bloody long walk to Surin!

Did our wonderful powers that be, actually supervise the transport, does anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...
<br />
<br />and on Dec 28th, police (with the support of the city council) ensured that mahouts and their 20+ elephants were sent packing back to Surin. Where the Governor sponsors monthly cash to keep them.<br />Long may they stay there in natural surroundings. Trouble is, their 'minders' won't be making 8000b plus per night like they were here.<br />Everyone - please sound the alarm if you see 'em back here!?<br />Also see www.theelephantsvoice.org<br />
<br /><br />Bloody long walk to Surin!<br /><br />Did our wonderful powers that be, actually supervise the transport, does anyone know?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Sorry for the late reply.

A city councillor said that ALL the mahouts organised and paid for trucks themselves to evacuate the elephants. They've certainly been making more money per night than I've ever seen!

So.. with the elephants safely off the streets and back home in the forests, how about turning our attention to little human kids wandering the streets at any hour of the night selling flowers or begging?

Admittedly they're not the road-safety problem that elephants pose, but it would still be better if they were home in bed somewhere and going to school the next day.

And what about the buffalos?

MSPain

So.. with the elephants safely off the streets and back home in the forests, how about turning our attention to little human kids wandering the streets at any hour of the night selling flowers or begging?

Admittedly they're not the road-safety problem that elephants pose, but it would still be better if they were home in bed somewhere and going to school the next day.

How?