Cold! In Issan

MrRed

:ph34r: Only been back in Khon kaen a week and cannot believe how cold it has been,last night was the coldest i have known it for a long time,need to buy a heater today.

Is any body else feeling it?

Went to global but they did not have any heaters at all,they did look at me quite strangely when i explained what i wanted,surprising really as everyone you talk to says....nhow nhow nhow and are wearing 4 layers of gear to go to bed in :annoyed:

On my thermometer at 6am it was 10c this morning

Brass monkey welders out in Ban Kruat ? :)

I'm only here for 3 weeks (3rd visit) but it's the coldest I've known and Thai gf agrees. the wind is the worst.

Just one little complaint. I was thinking of going to bed early but now I've at least an hour answering the question "What is brass monkey welders"? Thanks for nothing.:annoyed:

Edited by kimamey

Its been 11c early morning, 22c in the day and 19c at nights here, bit cold even for an englishman!! 100ks NW Udon Thani,,<BR><BR> What we do is light the BBQ, [clay pot type] let it get smoke free, and put it in the sitting room, brings the room up to 24c and a lot more comfortable, cheap as well, <BR> I do some toast for us for supper, other stuff might smoke and smel too much,<BR> Cheers, Lickey..

Just one little complaint. I was thinking of going to bed early but now I've at least an hour answering the question "What is brass monkey welders"? Thanks for nothing.:annoyed:

The English saying is ..... "It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey"

And they need to be welded back on..... does that answer your question?

Can you buy a heater in KK then? I had mine brought from UK 3 years ago and used it 2 hours last night; last Wednesday for 5 hours. Nak Phanom is far colder than most places.

Does anyone know where to buy a heater in Nong Khai or Udon Thani????

No, but I do know a bar in Buriram where you can get a nice little 'heater' for 1,000 baht for the night !

I'm only here for 3 weeks (3rd visit) but it's the coldest I've known and Thai gf agrees. the wind is the worst.

Wind can often be the worst.

Google could be your saviour here.:jap:

Went to global but they did not have any heaters at all,they did look at me quite strangely when i explained what i wanted,surprising really as everyone you talk to says....nhow nhow nhow and are wearing 4 layers of gear to go to bed in :annoyed:

You mean like everybody says bloody hot for a couple of weeks in an English Summer (well some years) and take all their clothes off, but nobody buys air conditioners?

Not surprising really is it?

Back in UK we stock up on cheap 2nd hand winter coats & jumpers in xxs size for the mil & my husbands old aunts, they are all over 65 now & feel the cold bad. Quite funny to see them walking around in Benetton & various trendy brand puffer jackets & heavy winter coats as they don't understand about the fashion or style but it keeps the cold at bay & ensures they get through another thai winter. :)

You mean like everybody says bloody hot for a couple of weeks in an English Summer (well some years) and take all their clothes off, but nobody buys air conditioners?

Not surprising really is it?

English summers and air conditioners,you must be very very old,cold can be punishing on the body.the point is finding a heater in Thailand as i am sure you are aware you can buy both heaters and air-con in the Uk :rolleyes:

The English saying is ..... "It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey"

And they need to be welded back on..... does that answer your question?

I already understand it, the problem is explaining that to the gf. Plus there's What is brass? Why do you make monkeys out of it? Why do the balls fall off in cold weather? Does brass break in cold weather? Well no it doesn't. Sorry not understand. At which point you end up realising you no longer understand it either. Maybe that's what I love about her.

Actually my sister and her husband send messages on Facebook to my Thai gf and deliberately use english sayings so I have to explain them to her.

Thanks for the info Dave will be going to have a look again today,i am sure it will come in handy for something after this cold spell! the misses will find a wat to utilise the heat? ;)