Payment For Visa

Elaine

Hello all. This is my first visit.

I have been in Hua Hin now for a while on a double entry Tourist Visa while I make up my mind to stay here on a O Visa retirement or Ed Visa. I have basically made up my mind but I have had so mnay people tell me that I can get just about any type of entry on payment of a fee to certain people.

Is this so apparent here?

Think you need to explain more what you are asking as it's pretty unclear, if you want a ED visa you need to pay to a school (walen etc) leave the country and go to a thai embassy. However if you have enough funds theres a school in Hua Hin (Insight English I think) that charge extra but you do not have to leave.For Retirement-0 i'm pretty sure that it's only certain countrys that do it or only your national, could be wrong but you better off asking in visa forum. Either way you only have a couple options if you are here on a tourist visa and don't want to go home to get a new visa, ED being the easyist i'd think.

For anything else, no one will tell you, it depends on how much cash you have and who you know in immigration.

Edited by sam666

I'm a student at Insight English and unless things have changed in the 7 months sice i started my classes you do have to leave the country to obtain your visa for this course

However for your 90 days reporting you just visit immigration in Hua Hin instead of leaving the country.

This visa is vaild for a total of 3 years and you do not have to leave the country at all in this 3 years if you wish not to do so [continuos 90 day reporting at immigration]

I'm a student at Insight English and unless things have changed in the 7 months sice i started my classes you do have to leave the country to obtain your visa for this course

However for your 90 days reporting you just visit immigration in Hua Hin instead of leaving the country.

This visa is vaild for a total of 3 years and you do not have to leave the country at all in this 3 years if you wish not to do so [continuos 90 day reporting at immigration]

I have looked at the ED Visa possibilities... and was told that I did not have to leave the country if I paid some "extra money"... Which I do not feel inclined to do. Is this practice normal? Am I just being naive?

Hi Elaine.

I can only tell you the procedure i went through to get my visa and at that time [7 months ago] i was not told about this option.

If this is an option then great if your ok with that but if not a few days out of the country is no hassle i'm sure

Insight English prepare all the paperwork for your visa and to be honest i really enjoy the classes there.

Please go and have a chat with them or i have the owners phone number if you want to talk with him direct, please PM me for it.

There is no 3 year ED-visa. But if you study for example at a language school you can get 90 day extensions of stay for 1,900 baht per extension for as long as you continue to study.

You are correct in the fact in that there is no 3 year visa for this course, however the course lasts for 3 years and can be extended up to 5 years with approval and as you say it is continous 90 day reporting.

There is no 3 year ED-visa. But if you study for example at a language school you can get 90 day extensions of stay for 1,900 baht per extension for as long as you continue to study.

You are correct in the fact in that there is no 3 year visa for this course, however the course lasts for 3 years and can be extended up to 5 years with approval and as you say it is continous 90 day reporting.

90 day reporting and an extension every 90 days are two different things, but in this case will go together. One needs to do both.

90 day reporting and an extension every 90 days are two different things, but in this case will go together. One needs to do both.

Perhaps I have not been completely clear.. or that I have been hesitant to say it... What I have been told is that I would have to leave the country to get my ED Visa... but for a payment of Baht 25,000, this could be dispensed with. And I am loathe to follow this path. I prefer to leave the country and do it the right way... But what has surprised me is the number of people that have said that they have paid. I would guess that the only people that would say this openly, and that would probably reveal their identity, are those who do not intend to return to Thailand.

Edited by Elaine

That I would indeed not do, as I'm not sure if it would be legal and the cost is very high. If it is legal, than it is at a very inflated price.

There is a possibility to convert to a non-immigrant visa for 2,000 baht, but believe it is not normally done for studying at a language school.

Perhaps I have not been completely clear.. or that I have been hesitant to say it... What I have been told is that I would have to leave the country to get my ED Visa... but for a payment of Baht 25,000, this could be dispensed with. And I am loathe to follow this path. I prefer to leave the country and do it the right way...

Why would you want to pay that much ? I worked out that it would cost to get a 'ED' Visa in K.L about 10,000 baht... flight if you book early, Hotel, Food + Visa..

On the internet there is one of the Visa Run Companies that go to Laos 2x week but 9 hours in a Mini Bus from BKK, the total cost transport meals, Single room at a Laos Hotel, ED Visa + Visa Service in Embassy with your passport returned to the Hotel the next day... total cost 6,500 baht.

Elaine.

The cost of a course for 1 year at Insight English is 25000 baht.

A ED visa at the Thai consulate at Phonm Phen [sp?] costs $65 usd [approx 2000 baht]

Are you sure that you are not getting the cost of the course and the visa mixed up?

It is true that you do not have to leave the country on this visa, however you do need to leave the country to obtain it.

If things have changed and you do not have to leave to obtain it it is news to me but i stand corrected if this is the case..

If it is true then you will be paying 50000 baht for your course and your visa, a little expensive if you ask me.

Its common practice in Hua Hin and Cha am for people to pay approx 25,000.....this is illegal as it consists of your passport being sent overseas to obtain the visa...yes, you do get the visa and relevant exit/entry stamps and hundreds of people have done it for a long time but you never know what can happen....if its an ED Visa you want, join Insight and you can get the train direct from Hua Hin to Penang overnight....cost 1,000...there are places in Chulia Street in Penang will do the legwork for you for about 250 Baht.......

darrendsd, if you pay insight up to 25k extra, you do not have to leave at all, however I study at walen and really have no idea on what they do at insight. Laos is not that far and for 25k you could get a return flight and hotel in Laos Or Cambodia for weeks ...

For those who don’t want to leave the country to obtain an ED visa, this can be arranged with the immigration only via Insight English, at a cost of 15,000 baht.

Edited by thaiphoon
Commercial link removed

Its common practice in Hua Hin and Cha am for people to pay approx 25,000.....this is illegal as it consists of your passport being sent overseas to obtain the visa...yes, you do get the visa and relevant exit/entry stamps and hundreds of people have done it for a long time but you never know what can happen.......

These services are available all over Thailand and they are ILLEGAL.

I have a one-year visa from a language school. I need to report every 90 days but the stamp is for a year. Also, I didn't have to leave Thailand to get the ED visa (I first came here with a visa exempt stamp at airport). The school got me the ED visa in 24hrs, without me ever going anywhere (yes, they charged an extra fee for this, but nowhere near 25,000).I doubt this was illegal. My passport NEVER left Thailand. They got me some sort of special stamp at the immigration dept. Again, impossible for my passport to have left Thailand. I gave it to the school on Monday evening and by 5pm on Tuesday, I had it back with my student visa.

Edited by blyish

Yes, I have heard about that and I'm not saying it is illegal. Just highly unusual compared to the practice in other immigration districts.

PS, it is not a 1 year visa, it is a 1 year extension of stay.If it really would be a VISA you got in your passport it would be illegal.

Yes, I have heard about that and I'm not saying it is illegal. Just highly unusual compared to the practice in other immigration districts.

PS, it is not a 1 year visa, it is a 1 year extension of stay.If it really would be a VISA you got in your passport it would be illegal.

Might be. I always confuse them. It's a big stamp (not a sticker) that says I'm allowed to stay until November 2011.

Before I gave the passport to the school, I came here and asked if it was possible to get an ED visa without leaving Thailand. I was told NO, forget it, no way. Got it with no problems. I have to confess I was a little freaked out by the idea of giving up my passport for 24 hrs. I had 5 days left on my tourist entry and was afraid that if they couldn't get me the visa, I'd have to fly at the last minute to get it at an Embassy somewhere. They assured me over and over that they've done it for many students before without problems and not to worry. They were right. Not sure if immigration in Hua Hin is different (that's where I got it), but I'm glad it worked out.

Edited by blyish

Might be. I always confuse them. It's a big stamp (not a sticker) that says I'm allowed to stay until November 2011.

Before I gave the passport to the school, I came here and asked if it was possible to get an ED visa without leaving Thailand. I was told NO, forget it, no way. Got it with no problems. I have to confess I was a little freaked out by the idea of giving up my passport for 24 hrs. I had 5 days left on my tourist entry and was afraid that if they couldn't get me the visa, I'd have to fly at the last minute to get it at an Embassy somewhere. They assured me over and over that they've done it for many students before without problems and not to worry. They were right. Not sure if immigration in Hua Hin is different (that's where I got it), but I'm glad it worked out.

a 30 day entry stamp, permit to stay can be extended max 7 days, a tourist visa issued outside Thailand, permit to stay can be extended 30 days. Only exceptions I can recall are if you are involved in a court case and court orders Immigration to extend 90 days, or you are hospitalized.

I do not see any legal way to extend any of the above with one year due to ED. Hua Hin and Kho Samui Immigration are well known for one year permit to stays for money tho.

You get 90 how? I really don't see how? unless you are talking about your ED Visa so entry for what, you dont have to leave? Or of course type o tourist you can stay for a year but have to re enter every 90 days. You only get 30days on entry with no visa.

Or you can get a tourist visa wiith double entry and 2 extensions of 30days, and the maxium time you can stay is 6 months. Other ways are ED visa and type o business/tourist and retirement only afaik.

Edited by sam666

You get 90 how? I really don't see how? unless you are talking about your ED Visa so entry for what, you dont have to leave? Or of course type o tourist you can stay for a year but have to re enter every 90 days. You only get 30days on entry with no visa.

Or you can get a tourist visa wiith double entry and 2 extensions of 30days, and the maxium time you can stay is 6 months. Other ways are ED visa and type o business/tourist and retirement only afaik.

I'm from Argentina. We get 90 days when we enter Thailand, no visa. Some sort of bilateral agreement.

ETA: The 90-days rule applies regardless of whether I enter by air or land.

Edited by blyish

If it really would be a VISA you got in your passport it would be illegal.

Wrong, it is possible to receive a VISA stamp from Immigration, and it is not illegal. I have one in my passport from BKK Immigration, after that I have received 1 year extensions each year.

It seems most of the focus is on the ED Visa and the hoops/hurdles attached.

In the OP, "O Visa retirement" was mentioned as a possibility, and for a long-term stay, it seems an easier choice (provided the finances are in place to qualify), no?

If there are still 21 days remaining on your permission to stay from the Tourist Visa, you can apply for a one-year retirement extension locally at Thai Immigrations.

If there are fewer than 21 days remaining on your permission to stay from the Tourist Visa, you can still try to get a retirement extension, but odds are you will be denied -- this being Thailand, it would depend on the Immigrations office and/or the Immigrations officer. (Case in point: When I applied for a retirement extension with only 11 days remaining on my visa-exempt entry, it was no problem.)

If the retirement extension is denied, then a "visa run" to another country to get a Non-Immigrant O visa is one option.

However, if a visa run by air is done, and a 30-day visa-exempt stamp is received upon re-entry, then that can be converted to a Non-Immigrant O visa within Thailand at Immigrations. A visa run by land will merit a 15-day visa-exempt stamp, and I understand most (all?) Immigrations offices will not issue the Non-Immigrant O visa on that.

I know Cholburi (Pattaya) Immigrations will process a 30-day visa-exempt stamp to a Non-Immigrant O visa, but have read that some other offices send applicants to Bangkok to have it done.

The financial requirements for a retirement extension are:

(1) proof of income or pension from the Embassy of a monthly income of not less than B65,000, or

(2) letter of guarantee from a Thai bank showing a deposit of not less than B800,000 together with a copy of bank statement(s) showing a minimum B800,000 balance was maintained for not less than 60 days, or

(3) a combination of (1) + (2) above to show an amount of not less than B800,000. (For this option, the bank balance need not be maintained for 60 days.)