Suvarnabhumi Airport Expansion, Rail Link To Draw More Tourists

webfact

Airport expansion, rail link to draw more tourists

By Suchat Sritama

The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_23957.jpg

The expansion of Suvarnabhumi Airport and the development of a highspeedrail link with China are expected to attract more foreign visitors not only to Bangkok, but also to other key destinations in the long term.

The expansion of the airport is set to be completed in 2015, resulting in an increase in the current capacity of 45 million passengers to 60 million arrivals per year. More airlines using the airport should bring more tourists to the Kingdom.

The highspeedrail link between Bangkok and Kunming in Yunnan province, southern China, is a cooperative venture between the Thai and Chinese governments. Once the project is completed, Chinese tourists will be able to visit the country via an alternative, rapid method of transport, which will provide easier access not only to Bangkok but also to other provinces.

Surapol Sritrakul, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents, yesterday said these two developments would enable Thailand to attract more visitors in long term.

"China will possibly become the biggest market for Thai tourism, alongside the other [major] emerging market, India," he said.

Meanwhile, according to a report by hospitality consultancy C9 Hotelworks, Thai hotel openings added 1,389 rooms last year, a 3.2percent increase from 43,036 rooms at the end of 2009.

"Patong [in Phuket] is experiencing wildfire growth and a transformation is underway for the central entertainment district, where projections show more than 50 per cent of new hotel supply will be massed over the next five years," the company said.

Thai developers increasingly dominate the overall hospitality investment horizon on the resort island, mainly in the midmarket segment, contributing 77 per cent of new projects in the pipeline.

Umbrella future development for Phuket sees 5,749 more rooms, representing a 12.9percent increase over existing supply. Delayed openings from 2010 pushed into 2011, of which 723 keys will contribute to a total of 1,472 rooms entering supply this year, the company said.

Last year, passenger traffic soared with 3.5 million arrivals on the island, representing 22percent growth over the previous year. New Russian and Chinese markets drove this growth.

C9 Hotelworks has seen positive indicators of a recovery from the country's recent political turbulence to hit new highs in Phuket.

Managing director Bill Barnett said both Russia and China had emerged as star performers, with charter and directflight capacity fasttracking growth.

Data from the company's report highlight market capitulation and reactive pricing resulting in a marketwide occupancy increase of 4 per cent, offset by a 3percent fall in room rates.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-25

Yes, the link with China will generate additional tourism in the region. But, what can Thailand do to generate tourism within Europe, and the US? Getting rid of the scam operators, would be a good start. Taming the increases of the baht would be another good place to start. Getting the police in line, and having them treat tourists with some respect, would be better. There are countless ways they can make this place more attractive to tourists from around the world. But, it is going to take some introspection to figure out how to fix some of Thailand's ills.

Unless they improve the accessibility for people with suitcases the only thing the airport link will get is more complaints.

The airport link is a great improvement, but right now clearly not designed for passengers with suitcases. It will take a full more year before there will be additional escalators for people wanting to leave the stations.

""Patong [in Phuket] is experiencing wildfire growth and a transformation is underway for the central entertainment district, where projections show more than 50 per cent of new hotel supply will be massed over the next five years," the company said."

Well, that ought to take care of the prostitution problem.

You could not write comedy such as this; since when does the capacity of an airport cause an increase in demand?

Also that train is beyond insane. At 150 Baht a person, the only persons who would save money using it would be a solo traveler whose hotel was within walking distance of the train station. Should be about 3 or 4 of those a day. No exaggeration, for a couple 300 Baht for the train plus the short taxi fare to the hotel would cost about the same as just catching a taxi at the airport.

Edited by Bobr

Yes, the link with China will generate additional tourism in the region. But, what can Thailand do to generate tourism within Europe, and the US? Getting rid of the scam operators, would be a good start. Taming the increases of the baht would be another good place to start. Getting the police in line, and having them treat tourists with some respect, would be better. There are countless ways they can make this place more attractive to tourists from around the world. But, it is going to take some introspection to figure out how to fix some of Thailand's ills.

Perhaps on past and current performance and tourism issues , they have decided a better class of tourist with less issues can be sourced from the asian market . Coupled with the rise in the Chinese currencies , the fall and likely failure of the US dollar as a leading currency combined with the European financial status and its failing economy the western markets are no longer seen as financially attractive or worth the associated cultural issues and problems generated by this type of tourist . perhaps on stepping back and taking in a full view of the world and its current issues , Thailand does not have anywhere near the problems in the US and Europe . In fact after travelling there many times in the last 2/3 years they generally present as great people unlike many of the western tourists .

Yeah why read the article ?- just start posting.

But as an aside - wasn't the airport designed to handle traffic for 20 -30 years into the future?

More graft & corruption.

I wonder if the new terminals will have bathrooms?

Yes, it is designed to handle future traffic with 1 or 2 upgrades. The 30 mil to 45 mil upgrade is the first of them.

If they really want more passengers I hope they sort out the security screening for departures. Since it was moved from the original locations to the present unsuitable area, it's anything but satisfactory.

Oh I forgot TIT.

They're no more likely to sort that, than they are to put extra carriages on the skytrain!

Here we go again

Posted 31 days ago

Phuket high season down 25% year-on-year: analystPHUKET: -- The start of this year's high season for tourism in Phuket is down about 25% overall compared with last year, one industry analyst has said. http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4107620

And today

Last year, passenger traffic soared with 3.5 million arrivals on the island, representing 22percent growth over the previous year. New Russian and Chinese markets drove this growth. Hotelworks has seen positive indicators of a recovery from the country's recent political turbulence to hit new highs in Phuket.

Don't you love them.

Edited by pipo1000

If they really want more passengers I hope they sort out the security screening for departures. Since it was moved from the original locations to the present unsuitable area, it's anything but satisfactory.

Oh I forgot TIT.

They're no more likely to sort that, than they are to put extra carriages on the skytrain!

For security screenings, I prefer the present location (before you enter the departure/duty-free area) better than the previous one (before you get to the actual gate). What's your problem?

Oh I forgot TIT.

For security screenings, I prefer the present location (before you enter the departure/duty-free area) better than the previous one (before you get to the actual gate). What's your problem?

Why do you think that in all western airports the screening is at the gate?

Because in duty free and departure area you also can get hold of knives and other weapons.Ofcourse in Thailand there are no terrorists........................oops the will have a demonstration on wednesday in Bangkok.

Oh I forgot TIT.

Because in duty free and departure area you also can get hold of knives and other weapons.Ofcourse in Thailand there are no terrorists........................oops the will have a demonstration on wednesday in Bangkok.

You cannot buy knives in the duty-free area any more - a big blow to Victorinox at Zurich airport.

I am not aware of any airport doing the screening only at the gate, and I'm just coming back to Thailand. Please advise which western airport you are referring to (apart from Moscow).

Oh I forgot TIT.

Well there is two sides to the situation.

also a third side. It dosen't matter where it is It will affect a maximum of ten people's decision on whether to come to Thailand or not.

I went on the new airport train today and thought it was a big disappoint. I was not going to/from the airport; just traveling around Bangkok. What needs addressing:

• No signs or information on the walls and unmanned Information posts. Furthermore little information about the MRT or BTS; don't they realise that people might use this route, the MRT and BTS to go from A to B?
  • You have to buy ANOTHER smart pass to use it. Why can't I just have one smartpass for all trains in Bangkok? Do I have to carry three now?
  • Its a long walk from Maakasan to the MRT station, thats if you don't get run over walking on the road, or a SRT train doesn't run you over! A walkway needs to be built between the stations allowing easy transiting. I can't believe they did not plan for this?
  • Why are the motorbike taxis so far from away at Maaksan. Its a good walk from the station to them.
  • The train was really full; they need to run more trains.

Hope they read this; I am sure I am not the only one to make these comments.

• You have to buy ANOTHER smart pass to use it. Why can't I just have one smartpass for all trains in Bangkok? Do I have to carry three now?

I've come to the conclusion that smart passes in Thailand should actually be called dumb passes. In Japan and Hong Kong, the SINGLE cards are so ubiquitous that they work for vending machines, and even in London, one card works on Trains, buses, underground, and the river bus. Thailand can't even get the MRT, BTS and Rail link to use a single card, and they all run trains from the same manufacturer.

On the other hand, you just know that if they did actually set up a single organisation (like Octopus in HK), to run a combined smart card, it would become a source of graft... After all, just the interest on the outstanding balance on the existing cards is probably a significant amount of money. Add in the left over money on cards bought by tourists that never get used after their holiday and on cards that are lost, etc., and it would add up to a considerable temptation...

The airport link seems to have been built to mostly carry airport personnel to the airport and people to the new stops. Price wise it doesn't make a lick of sense and there's no traffic to suvarnabhumi so a taxi is a better option most of the time if you have luggage and more than one person.

If they wanted to cater towards single travelers they should have made the airport link dump passengers off right at nana plaza and soi cowboy.

The airport link seems to have been built to mostly carry airport personnel to the airport and people to the new stops. Price wise it doesn't make a lick of sense and there's no traffic to suvarnabhumi so a taxi is a better option most of the time if you have luggage and more than one person.

If they wanted to cater towards single travelers they should have made the airport link dump passengers off right at nana plaza and soi cowboy.

Actually, I don't understand why they just didn't build the airport in the middle of the city. I'm sure they could have just knocked down a few building to make a bit of space for it. :rolleyes:

Oh I forgot TIT.

You cannot buy knives in the duty-free area any more - a big blow to Victorinox at Zurich airport.

I am not aware of any airport doing the screening only at the gate, and I'm just coming back to Thailand. Please advise which western airport you are referring to (apart from Moscow).

Amsterdam,at least untill the last time I flew in August 2010.

The one-ticket system is already in planning. Should bve ready within a few years:

http://www.thaivisa....sport-networks/

http://www.nationmul...s-30144351.html

However, the airport rail link (ARL) does not seem to be mentioned.

<LI>The train was really full; they need to run more trains.

This seems to mean they are doing something right. I didn't know the service has been so well-accepted already.

Amsterdam,at least untill the last time I flew in August 2010.

In Sydney last week, security screening was right after check-in, even before passport control.

The most logical think is what Phuket does: Screen before you even enter the terminal.

I dont think they "get it"

Tourists need to want to come to a country first. With all the crap going on with the red shirts it dont look too good for tourism period. They wont just hop on a train because its there, will they?

<_<

International News yesterday reported on and showed pictures of the Yellow Shirt rally in Bangkok. The beeb (or was it CNN) referenced the Yellow Shirts as the 'group who occupied Bangkok Airport two years ago'. Yellow Shirts are now camped out, Yesterday's Red Shirt rally dispersed at 10pm.

Thailand's predilection for taking to the streets and its impact on tourism is more pervasive than red shirts.

Perhaps on past and current performance and tourism issues , they have decided a better class of tourist with less issues can be sourced from the asian market . Coupled with the rise in the Chinese currencies , the fall and likely failure of the US dollar as a leading currency combined with the European financial status and its failing economy the western markets are no longer seen as financially attractive or worth the associated cultural issues and problems generated by this type of tourist . perhaps on stepping back and taking in a full view of the world and its current issues , Thailand does not have anywhere near the problems in the US and Europe . In fact after travelling there many times in the last 2/3 years they generally present as great people unlike many of the western tourists .

You very well may be correct. Perhaps it is deliberate? I would like to think the planners are that sharp. Certainly we are going to see the growth in Asia, and it makes sense to develop this with their neighbors. No doubt the Thais are lovely in comparison to the consistently foul humored and ill tempered westerners you run into in the US, Europe, and the rest of the world. I think in general they are having a hard time coming to terms with the decline of their empires. Oh well. Better for Asia in the long run, and better for those of us to choose to be here.