How To Play .avi Files On Dvd Player?

RDN

I have lots of movies taken with my new camera and want to see them on a TV screen.

I know how to play DVDs on my lap top - the .Dat file in the folder "mpegav" can be run by Windows Media Player. But does anyone know how to play .Avi files from a camera on a DVD player?

Any help gratefully received.

The CODEC (basically, the encoding) of the videos taken by digicam is usually a strange codec, and not recognized by any DVD player or by Nero.

If you have a DVD player that's capable of playing Divx files (many newer ones can), you can conver the video into a divx file using virtualdub (free) and burn it on to a CD or DVD.

If you have a typical DVD player, the DVD has to be in the DVD-video format, which is more involved. First, you need to convert the file into an MPEG2 file using TMPGENC. Then you need to author the MPEG2 file into DVD format using something like TMPGENC DVD author (a separate program). Only then can you burn it to DVD.

By the way, opening the mpegav folder is not the normal way to open a VCD/DVD with media player. Open media player, go to "play" in the menu, then "DVD, VCD, or CD audio", then choose the drive.

there are dvd players that play .avi files - look at DivX.com to find out about them. But unlikely you will get one in Thailand.

Best way is to hook up an old slow computer (700+ mhz) to the TV and play that way. It is easy to find a tv out video card.

You can even hook the dvd player into the com through a capture card which are pretty cheap and easy to use. And then link the com to a hub and your main computer. All of that is a darn sight easier than trying to convert formats and burn new discs (which always loses quality anyway) and can be set up very cheaply with parts you may well have lying around the house anyway.

:o

Pandit, digicams don't use Divx, xvid, or WMV, which are the formats that DVD players can play. Therefore, you can't just burn the file to a disc and then hope that the player will play it.

And as suggested before, RDN has a notebook, which probably does have TV out.

Pandit, digicams don't use Divx, xvid, or WMV, which are the formats that DVD players can play.  Therefore, you can't just burn the file to a disc and then hope that the player will play it.

And as suggested before, RDN has a notebook, which probably does have TV out.

yes - you did suggest that, but I was thinking of an old desktop - the kind that can be bought for pennies 2nd hand, or that many of us have lying about in components. I did a few of these for folks wanting to play divX's and whatnot. I put them behind the TV set out of the way, with the cd player piped to the front. One we networked so the guy can play movies off his regular com in the office, directly on the TV. But I am not too hot on networking