Hyosung Motorcycles.

ScubaBuddha

Korean bike manufacturer Hyosung is starting to turn out some nice looking, and by all indications, reliable bikes. The tutoring they have been getting from Suzuki seems to be paying off. Hyosung is not sold in Thailand....yet, but they have had an office in Bangkok for at least a couple of years. One would assume this would be part of an effort to eventually sell Hyosung bikes here. A while back RichardBKK called them for details, but he was repeatedly disconnected. Maybe time to try again?

If they were able to strike a deal like Kawasaki and manufacture/assemble these bikes here like Kawasaki (unlikely, I know) the prices might resemble the US/UK prices, which I put below in baht for comparison. There is a better chance of the 250cc models being sold here at similar to US/UK prices due to free trade agreement in place between Asian counties for 250cc and under bikes, but prices for the 650's and 700 will probably be more than double. Never hurts to dream! :)

GT250R $3,999 USD (123,000 baht)

default.jpg

GT250 $3,699 USD (114,000 baht)

2010_Hyosung_GT_250.jpg

GV250 $3699USD (120,000 baht)

2010_Hyosung_GV_250.jpg

GT650R $6199usd (190,000 baht)

2010_Hyosung_GT_650R.jpg

GT650 $5499USD (169,000 baht)

medium-1.jpg

ST7 (680cc) $7,299USD (225,000 baht)

2010_Hyosung_ST7_Base.jpg

GV650 $6,799USD (209,000 baht)

2010_Hyosung_GV_650.jpg

RX125D $4344USD (133,000Baht)

medium-2.jpg

More pics of the big boys:

hyosung-gt650r.jpg

gt650r07.jpg

100_0054.jpg

2010-Hyosung-GT650R-FI.jpg

Hyosung_GT_650_RR_Cup.jpg

2009-Hyosung-GT650S-Right-Angle-588x558.jpg

Hyosung_GT650_2_by_DorianNavarre.jpg

Hyosung20ST7.jpg

new-2009-hyosung-gv650_avitar_limited_special_edition_gv650se-fuelinjected-7582-3420749-4-640.jpg

176.jpg

The office of Hyosung Thailand is located...

Hyosung Corporatio.

Room No. 1404, 14th Floor One Pacific Place,

142 Sukhmvit Road,

Bangkok 10110

The last contact I had was in October 2010, they studying the market, in December 2010 we got a box with several Hyosung office agenda's they look nice... but most of the inside is in Korean... Alway nice to have world map, map of South-Korean and Seoul in Korean language...

I was talking to a guy (new rider) that was on a 2010 GT650R (LAMS approved) and he was happy with it. Maybe after a year or 2 he would feel different but what the heck, we all want something else by then, don't we!

The Hyosung GTR650R would fit right into the Thai market, it is more powerful than the Kawasaki ER6N or Ninja 650R.

ER6N/Ninja 650R is 71 horsepower (53kW)

Hyosung GT650R is 82 horsepower (61.14kW)

We do not have learner drivers licenses so offering a restricted (LAMS Approved) version in Thailand would make no sense.

And dreaming of Hyosung is maybe less far from reality as Hyosung has currently a production facility at Amata City Industrial Estate, Rayong, Thailand... so it's not a office in Bangkok anymore....

The Hyosung GTR650R would fit right into the Thai market, it is more powerful than the Kawasaki ER6N or Ninja 650R.

ER6N/Ninja 650R is 71 horsepower (53kW)

Hyosung GT650R is 82 horsepower (61.14kW)

We do not have learner drivers licenses so offering a restricted (LAMS Approved) version in Thailand would make no sense.

And dreaming of Hyosung is maybe less far from reality as Hyosung has currently a production facility at Amata City Industrial Estate, Rayong, Thailand... so it's not a office in Bangkok anymore....

I didn't know that. That is very, very interesting. Any idea what is being made there? Hyosung makes a lot of smaller bikes too.

Will be interesting to see what the future holds. They wouldn't be sending you literature if they didn't have something planned. I would think an 82hp GT650R for 190,000 baht, GT650 naked for 169,000 baht, ST7 for 225,000 and GV650 at 209,000 baht would all probably do quite well here. The last two could potentially compete with the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 which at 460,000 baht is more than twice Hyosungs US/UK prices.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Yes, this sounds very good. I am really interested, what will happen and what type they will offer to the thai-market.

Very beautiful bikes. So lets wait, what happens......rolleyes.gif

Edited by LoneRider

GT series = nice...

About two years ago MCN did a comparison between the 250 Kawasaki and Hyosung.

Hopefully, quality has improved since then...

Edited by RED21

^Yeah from what I have read, Hyosung made an attempt to step up production/market share a few years ago, but throttled back due to the economic situation at the time. They did have some complaints about finish and a general lack of quality feel and old school looks. I read they are enlisted the help of Suzuki and the buzz now is they are making a solid attempt with better bikes this time around. Time will tell if they can do what Samsung, LG, Hyundai and Kia have done.

I found a couple references which said that Hyosung is/has changed their name to S&T (Science and Technology) motors, and have seen a few pictures of bikes with S&T on them instead of Hyosung. I think that would be a huge mistake. It think Hyosung is starting to get a name for decent bikes.

At least in the states it appears they still are called Hyosung.

http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com

But maybe in other markets S&T?

http://www.hisntmotors.com/

This from the UK's Hyosung riders club.

Many things have been written and discussed regarding Hyosung motorcycles, many of which are incorrect and/or misleading.

Hyosungs are rebadged Suzuki's; No: They are a complete and distinct motorcycle whose company history has links with Suzuki for over 20 years.

Hyosungs are made in China; No: They are Korean, who as a nation are becoming one of the worlds largest producers of motor vehicles.

Hyosungs are made from Chinese components; No: Quality materials, components and manufacturing are used throughout.

Hyosung motorcycles as an international brand is born from the technical production skills inherent within Korean industry following years of producing OEM equipment, engines and frames for world leading high street motorcycle manufacturers.

Since 1979 Hyosung has been producing parts and engines for Suzuki in their Korean plant. What follows is a journey of discovery culminating in S&T motors breaking away from the parent Hyosung company to continue production of their own motorcycles. These are now seen throughout the world as offering quality design & manufacture at a reasonable price.

With millions being spent on research and development S&T Motors is planning new models to add to their impressive line-up including a 1,000cc bike and aim to reach the top-five of the world's motorcycle manufacturers.

As you may be able to tell, we are proud of our motorcycles and Hyosung have earned the right to be proud of their heritage. That said, we are a knowledge and friendly bunch that meet regularly both informally and at our annual rally. Come along and join us in our forum or on facebook, we would love to meet you all.

A more recent review:

"On par with the Japanese bikes."

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Talking to Hyosung is talking to Kim Jong-il (the dictatorial leader of North Korea), while Hyosung is a South-Korean company they have rules about everything and about anything.

With telling that I cannot confirm or tell what they make at the location in Rayong, but they really serious about improving the factory. A lot construction workers entering the grounds for the last year, and security is tight... digital security passes that show picture and fingerprint information … (also the plant now-a-day takes sometimes 20 to 30 - 40 feet high cube containers a day. Which obvious is with high weighing equipment, trucks change gears 3 times in from of the somtam shop from of Amata City but leave like they drive race cars...)

Back to the current 250cc models, MCN tested the old GT250R (carburetor model) to the new Kawasaki Ninja 250R (with EFI), currently 2011 Hyosung has also improved the fueling of the 250cc GT250R and at any test I bet the Hyosung well beat the Kawasaki...

The Hyosung GT250R has the advantage of being a V-twin and the most modern fuel injection the bike produces more horses at a useful level than the Kawasaki Ninja 250R will ever going to give you...

I even can tell that I hear rumors that Hyosung is currently in the process to get some of the work-wide models passed Thai emission inspection... In Thailand, Hyosung is for some maybe a unknown name in the motorcycle industry.... but for insiders Hyosung is the leader, maybe a controlling factor and provider of the right raw material for all motorcycle manufacturers in Thailand.

Hyosung holds very important patents in basic mechanics, which makes it a ideal partner for Suzuki to team up with Korean Hyosung... Motorcycles production/development is about deals, Richard once signed a deal for his invention of the mono-shock rear suspension... Suzuki made a deal... most manufactures just pay per design...

A couple of years ago i was riding one of the scooters, and i really hope they are better now, that was the worst piece of sh!te i have seen for a long time, i had it for 4 weeks everything was falling apart and i mean everything, electrical problems every time it was raining, so really hope for the guys who buy them that they might get. But then again it’s cheap so you get what you pay for :)

post-27591-0-43903900-1297100684_thumb.j

Edited by HDRIDER

A couple of years ago i was riding one of the scooters, and i really hope they are better now, that was the worst piece of sh!te i have seen for a long time, i had it for 4 weeks everything was falling apart and i mean everything, electrical problems every time it was raining, so really hope for the guys who buy them that they might get. But then again it’s cheap so you get what you pay for :)

From what I have read the manufacture of the scooters have had virtually nothing to do with the development and construction of the big bikes.Ofcourse a company philosophy is pervasive at all levels of that company. I'm hoping we'll see a big difference. Only time will tell if they can break out of the "not Japanese" mold.

Every motorcycle manufacturer has at least one model they wished they did not make... Everybody makes mistakes, it's human.

I bet that the scooter you had would work just fine in dry countries like in the middle-east... But the dash design was a very efficient water collector if it started to rain... (probably in Korea they have more snow).

But if I look back on 20-years in the motorcycle business, a faulty designed dash is hardly serious (by the way Hyosung offered a replacement... From other manufacturers we have seen failing brake systems, fuel-injection systems that injected fuel into the combustion chamber on all but the right moment... etc (I think the list of design and production failures in the motorcycle business is to much...)

The cost of entry in the manufacturing of scooters is relatively low. For example, many little-known Chinese manufacturers are exporting to the U.S. SE Asia is the place to sell small bikes and from that price sensitive market some manufacturers have expanded sales efforts. China, Taiwan, and Korea have developed their own popular motorbikes

Quality issues are more immediate when competing more expensive markets. On-line forums move more quickly than traditional magazines to challenge poor quality and can change purchase decisions. Moreover, Korea is developing, as mentioned above, a national culture regarding quality. Kia competes now here in Thailand with autos and of course electronics companies mentioned above.

But Hyosung has not positioned itself as a cheap manufacturer. As mentioned in the last U-tube above, power and quality arrive at a competitive price. Refinement will arrive from feedback. The success story of Hyundai/Kia is justly famous. Levels of quality in all machinery has improved and continues to do so.

In this I just mean to agree that one old model scooter may have little to do with this year's motorcycle should not necessarily be judged by an old design motorbike. I'd begin with a blank page - which in itself, of course, is not reassuring as, for example, a Honda, Kawa, 'Zuki and so on.

Should Hyosung launch here, dealer support will be very important, of course.

• 1 month later...

anybody heard anything more on hyosung selling here anytime soon?

RichardBKK posted that he heard a rumor the Hero group purchased the rights to distribute them here in Thailand. That is the last I heard. I highly doubt we will see anything before 2012, if ever.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/448097-hero-group-in-thailand/

hey scubabuddha, yeah saw that post before but nothing since so just curious, hoping to get in early. i would have thought with the success of the cbr250 and the long wait list they would be even more keen to introduce their bikes, i have no doubt the 250 models would be popular given they sell at reasonable prices. wait n see nway hey. cheers