Poll Shows Thai Public Approves Of Army Response To Cambodia

webfact

Poll Shows Public Approves of Army Response to Cambodia

A recent poll conducted by the Bangkok Poll Center regarding the cross-border fighting has indicated public support for the military in their work to protect the nation's sovereignty.

In a public opinion poll conducted by the Bangkok Poll Center about the recent clashes at the Thai-Cambodian border, 26.4 percent of the respondents reported that they believe the violence was intiated by the Cambodian side, while 25.6 percent said a lack of integration in implementing policies on border disputes by the Thai authorities is to blame.

About 21.4 percent of the people surveyed blamed the flare-up in the confrontation on strategic flaws by the Abhisit administration. And nearly 13 percent think the movement by the People's Alliance for Democracy is responsible for sparking the conflicts.

Meanwhile, the majority of respondents, or 67.5 percent, said they were satisfied with how the Army carried out its duty to protect the nation's sovereignty. However, a staggering 80 percent flunked the government in solving territorial disputes.

Some 75 percent voiced discontent over the state's reporting on the situation.

Regarding steps the public wants Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to take to end the conflicts, nearly half suggested that both sides open negotiations, while approximately 25 percent want the premier to clarify the issue with the United Nations.

About ten percent wanted the conflicts to be mediated by ASEAN. Only six percent of respondents support the use of force.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-02-08

footer_n.gif

Last sentence:

"Only six percent of respondents support the use of force" - but who ever listens to the people!

The 6 percent supporting an armed conflict should also be sent to the border asap to carry out their "patriotic" duty and die for their country - I am sure they will be happy to do so! We will built them a huge monument:

"Dedicated to the bimbos who where to primitive to solve a problem by negotiation - they preferred to kill each other - now they are dead - and hopefully stay that way!"

The reaction I got from a group of Thais on the new round of fighting - and they all agreed to what the first one said:

"That's good that they are fighting again - let all these people with weapons on both sides kill each other until not one of them is left - and then we have peace" and " nobody here cares if this temple is in Thailand or Cambodia"

My reply that this was not a very patriotic stance the answer was - "This conflict has nothing to do with the nation - it is about politics, power and money!"

Seems like the common folks on the street are smarter than the "smart-asses" demonstrating for war in Bangkok!

Edited by Cnxforever

Last sentence:

"Only six percent of respondents support the use of force" - but who ever listens to the people!

The 6 percent supporting an armed conflict should also be sent to the border asap to carry out their "patriotic" duty and die for their country - I am sure they will be happy to do so! We will built them a huge monument:

"Dedicated to the bimbos who where to primitive to solve a problem by negotiation - they preferred to kill each other - now they are dead - and hopefully stay that way!"

The reaction I got from a group of Thais on the new round of fighting - and they all agreed to what the first one said:

"That's good that they are fighting again - let all these people with weapons on both sides kill each other until not one of them is left - and then we have peace" and " nobody here cares if this temple is in Thailand or Cambodia"

My reply that this was not a very patriotic stance the answer was - "This conflict has nothing to do with the nation - it is about politics, power and money!"

Seems like the common folks on the street are smarter than the "smart-asses" demonstrating for war in Bangkok!

"My reply to this was not a very patriotic stance" Sorry but are you Thai?

The 6% supporting armed conflict should also be sent to the border asap to carry out their patriotic duty and die for their country. This is also a comment along the similar lines I think. Maybe the people who were surveyed were angry for some reason we do not know but is it nice to say that they should also die?

Thai's have their opinions because they are Thai and this is THEIR country. We should stay out of it even with comments like this and just observe I think.

Cambodia also has the same rights as I just mentioned.

Sorry I just believe that noone deserves death no matter what their opinions are.

Edited by thailandbluegrass

Last sentence:

"My reply to this was not a very patriotic stance" Sorry but are you Thai?

The 6% supporting armed conflict should also be sent to the border asap to carry out their patriotic duty and die for their country. This is also a comment along the similar lines I think. Maybe the people who were surveyed were angry for some reason we do not know but is it nice to say that they should also die?

Thai's have their opinions because they are Thai and this is THEIR country. We should stay out of it even with comments like this and just observe I think.

Cambodia also has the same rights as I just mentioned.

Sorry I just believe that noone deserves death no matter what their opinions are.

Well there is a lot in what you say.

But when only 6% want conflict and it is happening anyhow I believe they should be right in the center of the fighting.

It's not like there was no fighting now.:(

A usual no info on:

Who commissioned the poll?

How many samples were taken?

Where?

What is the margin of error?

What were the exact wording of the questions,

and do those match the reported conclusions wording?

Any pollster can make a specific poll top back up a preconceived concept.

Since we do not know any facts about this poll other than the name of the organization,

but nothing about who owns, runs finances the organization,

the poll must accept a rather high error percentage on it's face value.

A usual no info on:

Who commissioned the poll?

I bet it was the army.

the more appropriate titles for this news:

"the great majority flunked the government in solving territorial disputes"

"the great majority voiced discontent over the state's reporting on the situation"

the figures 80 and 75% are larger, than those 67.5% happy with army response