Samae Beach, Koh Larn

tommytouch

Hi

We're considering taking a trip to a beach on Koh Larn, maybe Samae as this looks to be the nicest from what I've seen.

What I'd like to know:

1, is there a better option on Koh Larn than Samae - I'm talking sea and sand quality, not huge crowds, etc

2, Is there any point in making the trip at all when Jomtien would surfice. How do the two compare?

Thanks for any info

Cant compare Jomtien and Samae, The times I have been out to Samae the water is very clear and you dont feel all oily when you get out like you do in Jomtien. It wasnt even so crowded when I went, it is my favorite local beach.

How long are you staying there? Rent a motorbike for 300 baht a day and choose which beach you prefer. I was there a few weeks ago and stayed a couple days during the week (less crowds and cheaper than weekend) and half the enjoyments was checking out the island on the motorcycle.

Edited by Nisa

How long are you staying there? Rent a motorbike for 300 baht a day and choose which beach you prefer. I was there a few weeks ago and stayed a couple days during the week (less crowds and cheaper than weekend) and half the enjoyments was checking out the island on the motorcycle.

Will probably be staying for just one night but I may do the motorbike thing for future reference, and as you say it might be quite ejoyable. Is it easy to navigate the island?

So where did you end up staying? Any recommendations?

Samae is boss.B)

It's the furthest & therefore quietest beach. There really is nothing there except a few small bars / restaurants (bamboo huts). There is a 'roof' of umbrellas at the back of the beach, with sun loungers in the open at the front. Bottled beers / Breezers are 100B & you have to try supping a 'mai tai' from a coconut; just make sure you watch them make it.

Food is cheap & tasty. I recommend the 'kai moo pet', or hot pork omelette; an ideal light meal for the beach.

Careful when entering the sea, as there is a 'carpet' of sharpish stones to traverse, which throws you off balance just enough to cripple yourself on one of the huge rocks. :lol:

Once in though, the water is clear & blue / green. If your lucky, you'll experience waves high enough to drown a Thai girl.:blink:

The ice-cream vendor is not pushy, but the massage lady can be on occasion.

From the pier, stock up on water & snacks at the 711 then walk to the end of the 'village', where you will find a baht bus for 20B to Samae. Don't take a motorbike unless you feel the need for speed.:huh:

Samae is boss.B)

It's the furthest & therefore quietest beach. There really is nothing there except a few small bars / restaurants (bamboo huts). There is a 'roof' of umbrellas at the back of the beach, with sun loungers in the open at the front. Bottled beers / Breezers are 100B & you have to try supping a 'mai tai' from a coconut; just make sure you watch them make it.

Food is cheap & tasty. I recommend the 'kai moo pet', or hot pork omelette; an ideal light meal for the beach.

Careful when entering the sea, as there is a 'carpet' of sharpish stones to traverse, which throws you off balance just enough to cripple yourself on one of the huge rocks. :lol:

Once in though, the water is clear & blue / green. If your lucky, you'll experience waves high enough to drown a Thai girl.:blink:

The ice-cream vendor is not pushy, but the massage lady can be on occasion.

From the pier, stock up on water & snacks at the 711 then walk to the end of the 'village', where you will find a baht bus for 20B to Samae. Don't take a motorbike unless you feel the need for speed.:huh:

Thanks, some great info, I'm pretty much sold.

Have you seen much accommodation there? And are you referring to Twaen or Naban pier?

Thanks again

There are actually 2 peers on Koh Larn where the ferries go. Naban and Twaen. (and they are 30 baht now)

I also don't believe the baht buses (song-taow) operate during the week. At least I didn't see any on the road but did see them all parked without drivers in a parking lot near the Naban peer. The only available transportation was motorbike either by Taxi or renting.

I stayed at http://www.paywadee.com/ when I went. They were nice and friendly and the rooms were new and clean. They start at 800 baht a night during the week. You can also rent a motorbike here and it is not far from the peer. They have about 16 different rooms and although completely booked on week-ends we and another guest were the only people there during the week.

The island is packed during the day but empties at night. I really recommend renting a motorbike and seeing all the beaches. The Island is very small but it would be grueling to try to walk especially with the mountains. And unless you are staying right at the beach you want to be at then it may be difficult to get a motorbike taxi from the small hotel/bungalows you stay at if you are there during the week.

Samae is very crowded during the day but has the most modern facilities .. consider this is you are picky about using the bathroom.

Edited by Nisa

There are actually 2 peers on Koh Larn where the ferries go. Naban and Twaen. (and they are 30 baht now)

I also don't believe the baht buses (song-taow) operate during the week. At least I didn't see any on the road but did see them all parked without drivers in a parking lot near the Naban peer. The only available transportation was motorbike either by Taxi or renting.

I stayed at http://www.paywadee.com/ when I went. They were nice and friendly and the rooms were new and clean. They start at 800 baht a night during the week. You can also rent a motorbike here and it is not far from the peer. They have about 16 different rooms and although completely booked on week-ends we and another guest were the only people there during the week.

The island is packed during the day but empties at night. I really recommend renting a motorbike and seeing all the beaches. The Island is very small but it would be grueling to try to walk especially with the mountains. And unless you are staying right at the beach you want to be at then it may be difficult to get a motorbike taxi from the small hotel/bungalows you stay at if you are there during the week.

Samae is very crowded during the day but has the most modern facilities .. consider this is you are picky about using the bathroom.

Thanks for that

Ok, so I'm thinking take the boat to Naban, maybe check in to Paywadee (have looked at their site and it's fine for our needs) then go exploring. Looking forward to it.

Not bothered about modern facilities or western comforts, ideally just an uncrowded, good quality beach - low prices a bonus of course! Might opt for somewhere other than Samae then?

Think you may find that the ferry now costs 30 baht, not 20.

The fare did rise to 30B during Songkran last year, but reduced to 20B again during the summer; maybe a 'seasonal' variation? :whistling:

Last summer, we deliberately went during the week, to avoid the crowds. We took a baht bus at the parking lot after the 'village'.

<_<

Think you may find that the ferry now costs 30 baht, not 20.

The fare did rise to 30B during Songkran last year, but reduced to 20B again during the summer; maybe a 'seasonal' variation? :whistling:

Last summer, we deliberately went during the week, to avoid the crowds. We took a baht bus at the parking lot after the 'village'.

<_<

The fare is 30 baht and I believe it went into effect permanently the first of they year.

I actually just remembered, they had one or two baht buses (only saw one) when we arrived from the ferry. But we had to take a motorbike taxi because they didn't have a baht bus running from one peer area to the other (my education in there being 2 peers). My guess is that very few run during the week because I passed the parking lot numerous times were they park them and never saw any of them move in the 3-days I was there last month.

Edited by Nisa

I went to Koh Lan last Songran last year and the following september, the ferry was 30 bts both times, baht buses have run every day I have been. Samoe is my favourite beach too, Jontiem does not compare but last september Samoe was filthy, rubbish everywhere on the beach and in the sea, beach cafe also put prices up and were now trying to charge 10% service charge, dissappointing last visit. At its best is excellent and not crowded just look out for the rocks and get between. We stocked up in walking street 7/11 after the first trip I got a bit tired of hearing its more expensive because it has to come from the mainland, its 5 miles! You dont hear people in Pattaya say its more expensive because it has to come from Bangkok do you?

Enjoy the tranquility of a potentially lovelly destination.

Come on people, make an effort and go to Koh Samae San or somewhere like that instead. Has a beautiful deserted beach and hardly any tourists.

Do you mean Ko Si Chang?<_<

Can someone look on Google Earth, halfway between there & Ko Larn & explain what that huge sphere is?:blink:

"Can someone look on Google Earth, halfway between there & Ko Larn & explain what that huge sphere is?"

I suspect the "sphere" is simply Google's way of highlighting the area around another very small island - if you zoom in on it, it looks like the attached photo.

post-53404-0-11665700-1298191755_thumb.j

Come on people, make an effort and go to Koh Samae San or somewhere like that instead. Has a beautiful deserted beach and hardly any tourists.

I thought Samaesan was an army property ... where in Samaesan village do you find boats which will bring you to the island ? (I only saw fishermen boats). And are there any facility (restaurant, toilets) on Ko Samaesan ?

Well Samae beach was relativley quiet today with only about 30% of the seats on the beach full, 30 baht for the ferry, 30 baht for Songtaew, No service charge from the food or drinks, 40 baht on the motorbike taxi back to the ferry. The water was a bit murky with the onshore breeze and dumpers pulling sand back out, but a nice afternoon on the beach.

I don't often recommend places but when the price location and service are very good I will spead the word.

I met a couple with 4 nice rooms over the water for only 1000 - 1500b. You can probably negotiate a bike rental in that price too.

They are a great couple. Air conditioned rooms, private balcony overlooking the water and quiet.

They have no website or email so I am happy to refer to them.

The number is 081-6062341 Koh Larn is wonderful.