On Friday's Thailand Today

Felix Lynn

On the next Thailand Today,

Educators use a massage parlor as an opportunity to instill morals in students, as an attempt to ban it from opening across the street from a school fails.

Are young Thai prostitutes happy in their work? A recent study says yes.

An earthquake off the coast of Phuket leads to a stampede in Phang Nga, as spooked locals head for the hills.

And we’ll also feature a well written, scathing rebuke of Sydney Tom’s assertion that foreign teachers are in the same class as bar girls.

“This individual set up a test which doesn’t even prove what he

claims it does, and then tries to use it as a club to denigrate people.”

On the next Thailand Today, each weekday at five pm, midnight and five am.

http://www.radiobangkok.net

Edited by Felix Lynn

Thailand Today, my arse.

Four featured reports. One focusing on massage parlours, one focusing on prostitutes happiness, and one focusing on the similarities between teachers and bargirls.

Hey Felix, great editorial direction. Perpetuate a few myths and cliches about Thailand, why don' t you?

Just for the record, there are thousands of expats in Thailand who are not interested in the sex industry.

Thailand Today, my arse.

Four featured reports.  One focusing on massage parlours, one focusing on prostitutes happiness, and one focusing on the similarities between teachers and bargirls.

Hey Felix, great editorial direction.  Perpetuate a few myths and cliches about Thailand, why don' t you?

Just for the record, there are thousands of expats in Thailand who are not interested in the sex industry.

I am wondering if this constant focusing on aspects of the sex industry is the result of professional market research or more as a consequence of Felix's range of contacts within LOS?

Perhaps Felix would care to elucidate?

the title could have been chosen less sensationalist , i suppose .

well, it got your attention, so thats why!!

and yes, I am sure Felix is totally involved in researching the topics he chooses

and yes, there are some expats not involved or interested in the sex industry..but I wonder why they came here in the first place? :o

Well, it appears Rupert Murdoch has got his hands on the editorial directon of Thailand today.....

and yes, there are some expats not involved or interested in the sex industry..but I wonder why they came here in the first place? :o

Um, lets see.......

1) Work opportunites - the chance to save bucket loads if you have a good job

2) Weather

3) Great food

4) Cost of Living

5) BKK one of the worlds great cities.

6) Proximity to the rest of Asia

Alas though, I think I am in the minority of this one.

Thailand Today is a GREAT show.

Sex and bargirls are topics that seem to cause a lot of discussion on TV. After all there are heaps more expats in Thailand interested in these topics than those who aren't.

Felix is providing a good medium for those interested to air their views.

There have been many other good topics with nothing to do with sex or bargirls.

I'll be listening mate. :D

The majority of those on this board have never used, or thought about using a young prostitute or massage parlour :o:D

I'm going to leave a message too of my experiences with these groups of people.

Edited by Neeranam

the title could have been chosen less sensationalist , i suppose .

well, it got your attention, so thats why!!

and yes, I am sure Felix is totally involved in researching the topics he chooses

SiamOne the real question here is why do you wonder about such topics???

Patrick I am moving to your way of thinkong - .

Hopefully Felix Lynn will correct this if the perception gained from his heading is incorrect

Edited by mijan246

Thanks for all the comments!

I want to invite anyone who has an opinion to call our listener comment line and voice it. I am happy to put up anyone's view, unedited. Thailand Today is a discussion program, soon to be live talk radio. Call 02-207-2677.

If you listen to the program you might have a different take on the content. When a massage parlor is opened across from a school, I think it's worth talking about. When sex workers say they are happy plying their trade, I think it's worth talking about, especially when buried deep in the news story it reveals that they suffer from emotional problems among many others. Somebody might want to highlight that. I did.

But I come from a culture that vigorously debates all subjects. I can handle contrary opinions and welcome them, even hotly accusatory and full of animosity.

Ask Sydney Tom if I did not give an open and free oportunity for him to air his opinion. I did. And someone on today's program countered and did so vigorously and I aired that.

I am not perpetuating stereotypes about Thailand. I am discussing what is in the news today. I did not create these stories. I am merely commenting on them.

I invite yours! Please feel free to hammer away. I've been hammered before and I'm sure I will again.

I guess you all missed my interview with the "Happiest Man In Thailand." He's a great guy. A family man. Loves living in Thailand. Interesting that no one commented on that story!

02-207-2677

Edited by Felix Lynn

Why don't you do a story about how some tuk tuk and cab drivers in the bigger cities like to rip off farangs. Especially when they see them getting off a bus. ("Where you go, where you go")

Or how when a store keeper sees a farang they immediately raise prices 10%.

Or how all the national parks have a Thai price and a farang price.

I'm not really complaining because anywhere you go you have to learn to sidestep a few landmines to enjoy life. In southeast asia, there are lots of landmines.

What a bunch of whingers!!! If you haven't figured it out yet...Felix takes news topics that are posted on the site and then airs them on the radio. It's news that has been reported in the papers and becomes a popular thread. :o Find some news thats popular and no doubt it will be discussion worthy of the radio.

What a bunch of whingers!!! If you haven't figured it out yet...Felix takes news topics that are posted on the site and then airs them on the radio. It's news that has been reported in the papers and becomes a popular thread.  :o  Find some news thats popular and no doubt it will be discussion worthy of the radio.

Fair enough point, but a lot of people actually think that the best talk radio is when you have a great interviewer or presenter talking about something that you have never heard or relating something that may not necessarily be in the populist headlines. It’s like joining an interesting conversation where you learn something unexpected.

For instance, there has been a book recently released about the political powers of HM the King, which is generating a lot of interesting debate in the Thai press. It would be interesting to get that debate going in the Thai based English language media, and it would provide a bit more insight into how things really work in Thailand.

Britmavric has it right. I'm not doing anything special. I'm just talking about the news and hoping for some dialogue. It's done on talk radio all over the world.

Regarding what samran said, it would be nice to have that one topic that has never been discussed and be able to present it to the audience but boy, those are hard to come by. I gotta come up with four brand new things to discuss five days a week. That's twenty a week. That's why like presenters and talk show hosts all over the world, I steal from wherever I can. I try to put an original spin on the topic or say it in a compelling way but the news is nothing you can't find in other media. Sometimes I do interviews when I'm in Thailand that are unique.

I had a semi regular series awhile back called "Honest Isaan," which is a play on the North American idiom, "Honest Injun." It was basically interviews and stories about Thai Farang relationships. It was pretty original.

People are interested in the semie side of life. They like the dirt and the odd report. I try to bring it all. I don't want to bore the audience nor offend.

But thank you for you input.

The show is fully uploaded and ready for you ears at midnight Bangkok time.

Thailand Today, my arse.

Four featured reports.  One focusing on massage parlours, one focusing on prostitutes happiness, and one focusing on the similarities between teachers and bargirls.

Hey Felix, great editorial direction.  Perpetuate a few myths and cliches about Thailand, why don' t you?

Ok maybe Hundreds :o

Why don't you do a story about how some tuk tuk and cab drivers in the bigger cities like to rip off farangs. Especially when they see them getting off a bus. ("Where you go, where you go")

Or how when a store keeper sees a farang they immediately raise prices 10%.

Or how all the national parks have a Thai price and a farang price.

I'm not really complaining because anywhere you go you have to learn to sidestep a few landmines to enjoy life. In southeast asia, there are lots of landmines.

richard10365 My question is how can you be ripped off by:

1. A Tuk Tuk driver - you have to negotiate the fare before you set off - if you think its to much try another means of transport (shanks pony).

2. Taxi drivers there is a meter????

The storekeeper is not even in the league of supermarkets in Australia they raise prices on commodities during pension pay weeks and list specials for the period (SMTW) before pensions are paid on the Thursday. The storekeeper where I live charges me the same as her Thai customers. (Did I mention the storekeeper is my wife)

National Parks has been debated to death - maybe it could be looked at in reverse The real price being eg. 200 baht and a discount allowed for residents (who happen to be in this case Thai) to encourage them to visit with their Farang friends as they may not be able to afford it as much as the holidaying farang tourist. (only a thought).

Mate get a life before it's too late!! forget the landmines they will look after themselves.

Of couse the soapie girls are really happy. In a money=happy society like Thailand only material happy exist, no such thing as spiritual happy.

Working in a soapie can easily get over 100k a month and these girls save lots of education expenses by picking the "right profession" early in their life. I never met a soapie cutie that would work anything else besides soapie. I would said they have the highest satisfaction rate for any profession. Remember money=happy in this spiritual desert.

Discounts from advertisers would be a nice gesture, then I will undertake to buy their products and services.

Awaiting midnight rerun.

I hope it meets your high standards of entertainment. If it were a live call in show like it will be in the near future, then you could call in and complain...or not! :o

Edited by Felix Lynn

I'm listening to the show between baby-feeds, and Lynn is handling the pieces fine. If anything in an unsensationalist, non-shockjock, way.

Eg: making the point that the rent boys may claim to be enjoying their work, but so many of them have such emotional problems and neuroses as a result of their juvenile backdoor shenanigans, that this taints their objective analysis.

I think anyone criticising this latest topic choice on grounds of 'not being interested in the subject of sex and bargirls' is completely missing the point. Are you really so narrowminded that you think such topics could not force their way into your lives of the life of your family? If you bother to read the blurb this is about a brothel opening opposite a school. Your kids, hopefully, will be going to school. Thai kids certainly tend to, and I can't think of anything more all-encompassing than the subject of education and anything that might effect it.

Carry on, Mr. Felix!

Edited by OxfordWill

I went to Udon Thaini yesterday by bus. As I got off was surrounded by the local tuk tuk drivers. I asked them to go somewhere which is a 20 baht drive, they asked 40 baht.

I told them they were like pathetic thieves(in Thai) and got some real abuse back - was it worth the hassle for me to let them know that I was pissed off, and wasn't a tourist(like they give a <deleted> :D )? Is it a big deal 20 baht? NO, it is how I deal with it. It depends on how I am feeling(is my spiritual condition well, or am I wrapped up in self centredness/pity/righteousness etc). Am I ready to accept that they will try to rip me off, and either pay or walk away without saying a word. Walk a few yards to the main road and get one there.

Tuk Tuk drivers will try and rip off the farang. They wouldn't take me for the real fare.

Don't stoop to their level, like I did, walk away with a friendly smile.

How to rid the streets and bus stations of tuk tuk scum. There's a topic. :o