Where Are My Nuts

David006

Okay arborists.....

...so we have this large sprawling tree which should have "bunches" of those horrible tasting hard black /brown "nuts or beans" which my dear wife and rellies love so much.( not the long green string pods which also smell and taste awful!) I would attach a photo but the tree has not produced any in five years ever since "someone" stripped the harvest in our absence ...TIT.

Anyways I thought perhaps I need to somehow pollinate it or give some special fertilser as we had flowers this year but went to look yesterday..no flowers and no "fruit"?

Here is hoping that someone knows what the hell I am talking about ( will buy some of the "beans?" in the market and photograph 'em if that helps lol)and would appreciate any comments and suggestions

rgds

david

It may not bear because it has too much water.

Now isn't that a switch from what you'd normally expect?

I have two trees side by side, one bears one doesn't,

I like to water everything, but the site above says

Dry weather is important during the period of fruit development.

In South Malaya, where there are frequent rains at this time, the tamarind does not bear.

It may be that I watered the tree that isn't bearing a few months ago,

and neglected the one that is bearing.

In South Malaya, where there are frequent rains at this time, the tamarind does not bear.

Thanks WatersEdge ..definitely not Tamarind we have those trees too ...we grew from seed....

the location of the "nut" tree is among rubber trees and adjacent to a gully so good drainage..tree has lots of offspring around about...will take a phone pic later and post...he tree is extremely healthy looking branches spread and almost touching the ground in a canopy...great climbing tree for kids too ...lol

thx

david

Thanks WatersEdge ..definitely not Tamarind we have those trees too ...we grew from seed....

the location of the "nut" tree is among rubber trees and adjacent to a gully so good drainage..tree has lots of offspring around about...will take a phone pic later and post...he tree is extremely healthy looking branches spread and almost touching the ground in a canopy...great climbing tree for kids too ...lol

thx

david

Just had a brain fart...we sprayed glyphoshate for weeds about the time the tree last fruited...would that have had any effect ie made our tree sexless and impotent? maybe?

thx

david

Just had a brain fart...we sprayed glyphoshate for weeds about the time the tree last fruited...would that have had any effect ie made our tree sexless and impotent? maybe?

No, it shouldn't affect the tree unless you sprayed the foliage or suckers. If so you would see dieback in the canopy.

From the way you describe the canopy - Is it a Raintree (Albizia saman), Monkey Pod in Hawaii? They are a legume and produce edible bean pods; I've never seen Thai people use them, but in some countries they are used for livestock feed and human consumption too.

thx

david

No, it shouldn't affect the tree unless you sprayed the foliage or suckers. If so you would see dieback in the canopy.

From the way you describe the canopy - Is it a Raintree (Albizia saman), Monkey Pod in Hawaii? They are a legume and produce edible bean pods; I've never seen Thai people use them, but in some countries they are used for livestock feed and human consumption too.

Thanks guys, here's the photos of the tree.. may well be the monkey nut tree...but still no closer to getting it to fruit methinks..wifey calls it Luek Nyung ( spell..that's what it sounds like to my one good ear) they only eat the nut inside usually raw.....I got a feeling someone is gonna say "oh them"..."nothing like you described"...lol

<deleted> ...will try again rest of pics still transit????

post-36430-0-19153200-1298774037_thumb.j

Edited by David006